Crazy question about life vests (specifically for Joy and Escape ships)

WitchyWoman14

now that you no longer need to bring the life jacket to the muster drill. I am wondering how many people know how to correctly put on/wear the life jacket. While they demonstrate it during the drill and the various safety video, i bet they are still a few clueless people. this might cause additional confusion/madness during a real emergency.

much much safer i think to have the life jacket in your cabin, you can practice putting it on while watching the videos on tv imho..

Anyone who wants to practice this can simply come forward at the end of a safety drill and ask a crew member to let you try it out. I'm sure they'd be glad to offer all the instruction and assistance you need.

I have always seen life jackets somewhere in our cabins on NCL. Even if they have changed the procedures, I'm sure if you requested a couple of life vests for the cabin they would be happy to comply.

now that you no longer need to bring the life jacket to the muster drill. I am wondering how many people know how to correctly put on/wear the life jacket. While they demonstrate it during the drill and the various safety video, i bet they are still a few clueless people. this might cause additional confusion/madness during a real emergency.

much much safer i think to have the life jacket in your cabin, you can practice putting it on while watching the videos on tv imho..

This is a very good point. Some may take it for granted that they know how to do this, if they've always been around water. My parents had me in swim lessons at a very young age. I used to practically live at the pool all summer. My husband always had a pool so both of us are strong swimmers. We also had a boat for a while and know how to put-on adjust, etc. a life vest.

All of that said, it doesn't matter how well you can swim, the ocean is a different beast and there are slight variations between life vests. Most on cruise ships have the pull-down activation (that I've seen), so they aren't too difficult.

I saw a good example last summer of what you said. We also enrolled our daughter in swim lessons and part of this course was finding a correctly-sized life vest, putting it on, adjusting it and jumping-in to the water, immediately swimming with the vest. Anyway, several parents did not know how to do this. It doesn't mean they are ignorant or neglectful. They just haven't been exposed to it or needed to know.

Yes, it sucked to wear that puffy orange life vest to your muster station and stand there for some time but that's a good point. You were forced to learn how to use it. The most effective method of training is kinesthetic (tactile or hands-on) for adults. It would make you think that watching a video and/or people demonstrating wouldn't be as effective as actually trying it yourself. Someone may think they've "got it" but if they tried to do it, could struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes I do. That's why we get a balcony. We do try to relax and hang-out in there quite a bit. I can assure you the last ship I was on did NOT have enough jackets for the whole ship in every muster station. I don't think 6,000 jackets will fit in a comedy theater, 6,000 in a jazz club, etc.

I didn't see your signature line to see if you have included the cruises you've been one but communication can only go so far on an extremely large ship if there were a crisis. 3,000 passengers can overrun 1,500 crew members pretty easily. On the same cruise without jackets in the room, it was not clear when they were performing the drill. Actually, we almost missed it. We just noticed no one was around. Crew were knocking on doors but not looking-in. What if people were on the balcony and couldn't hear? There wasn't an alarm (that we heard). The path to get to you station wasn't clear, crew were not as abundant as we've seen on others either. All of that was going-on with 6,000 people on there. I couldn't help but wonder what would really happen if something were to "go-down". Maybe it was that ship/sailing but it was enough to burn us.

Also, I'll repeat it again...In a panicked mob, people do not give a rat's arse where they are supposed to go. If they know there are life vests somewhere, that's where they would go. In a world of unicorns and rainbows there would be world peace too.

Sweet lord, I've been on several cruises. All of them had life vests in the room until this last one. I like cruising and own stock in one of the cruise lines. I really wasn't asking for opinions. I only asked if anyone knew where life jackets are. I guess you shouldn't have a fire extinguisher in your house either, right? If you do, it definitely shouldn't be in your bedroom because you really don't spend any time there. You should take it out and give it to your HOA leader (if you have one), so they can hand them out if there is an emergency. On an airplane, they should remove the "seat flotation devices" and give them all to the flight attendants. They can give those out if something happens too. To me, it's a difference of I have MY life vest vs THEY have MY life vest. If I've not made that clear, I don't know how else to say it.

Anyway, my question has been answered and I am appreciative of that. Hopefully no one's cruise ship has any issues and everyone stays safe.

Fire extinguisher? I keep it in the kitchen where there is the highest probability of an accidental fire, not in my bedroom because when that skillet catches fire, I'm not going to have time to run up to the bedroom to get it.

Same logic applies to life vests. If not in your cabin, they are at the Life Boat Stations. And even if they ARE in your cabin, there will be duplicates at the Life Boat Stations. You don't need one until you go to your Life Boat Station, and therefore that is where they are stored. And there is a difference between that and a Muster Station.

In an emergency, the Captain may ask passengers to remain where they are and await further instruction. Or, at some point he may ask them to report to Muster Stations manned by trained staff. This is what you are doing when you attend the Muster drill. I believe I am correct in saying that the actual jackets are not at the Muster stations, which may be public venues like restaurants and theatres, but at the actual Life Boat Stations. In the most extreme of circumstances, the Captain may order passengers from Muster stations to their respective Lifeboat Stations and THIS is where the jackets are. And they do not sound the emergency alarm except at the actual drill. If they sound it any other time, you will definately hear it on your balcony. For the Drill, passengers are expected to report to the correct Muster Station at the scheduled time. We've always seen staff at stairways and entries to stations to direct passengers and check cards to make sure you are where you are supposed to be.

I am somewhat of a fanatic on safety myself. I pay attention during the flight safety demos. I know where my Floatation device and over wing exits are. Same at hotels, I know where the stairwells are. But you are really overthinking this. A mob of thousands of passengers overrunning the crew? I think my fellow passengers are smarter than that.

The chance of having to take to the lifeboats is about as likely as being struck by lightning and bitten by a shark on the same day. How many sailings of cruise ships over the last 10 years or so, and how many have gone down? Even a close call, like a fire on board would make big news here on Cruise Critic and I don't see those reported either except for a handful of noteable cases. Some of the deaths are fire related, and a life vest will not save you from that. Safety at Sea experts much smarter than me know how best to set up emergency procedures at sea. So, I'll go on their good judgement, do what the crew tells me to do, and pay attention to instructions.

This is a very good point. Some may take it for granted that they know how to do this, if they've always been around water. My parents had me in swim lessons at a very young age. I used to practically live at the pool all summer. My husband always had a pool so both of us are strong swimmers. We also had a boat for a while and know how to put-on adjust, etc. a life vest.

All of that said, it doesn't matter how well you can swim, the ocean is a different beast and there are slight variations between life vests. Most on cruise ships have the pull-down activation (that I've seen), so they aren't too difficult.

I saw a good example last summer of what you said. We also enrolled our daughter in swim lessons and part of this course was finding a correctly-sized life vest, putting it on, adjusting it and jumping-in to the water, immediately swimming with the vest. Anyway, several parents did not know how to do this. It doesn't mean they are ignorant or neglectful. They just haven't been exposed to it or needed to know.

Yes, it sucked to wear that puffy orange life vest to your muster station and stand there for some time but that's a good point. You were forced to learn how to use it. The most effective method of training is kinesthetic (tactile or hands-on) for adults. It would make you think that watching a video and/or people demonstrating wouldn't be as effective as actually trying it yourself. Someone may think they've "got it" but if they tried to do it, could struggle.

And I bet the life jacket training you saw last summer did not include a type I lifejacket, as these are almost always used only on ocean-going vessels, and have a completely different flotation arrangement (they are designed to keep an unconscious person face up in the water, unlike the USCG approved type II, III, and IV PFD's.

And even when passengers were required to take the lifejackets to muster and put them on, I could count on having at least 6 a week have put them on in a way that ensured the "face up" mode of the lifejacket would have placed them face down in the water, and fighting 60 lbs of flotation. And many, even then, when someone in the muster station was called out for donning incorrectly, most were not paying attention.

As stated, the crew is always there after drill to answer questions like how to put on a lifejacket. When I was with NCL, we always had one lifeboat lowered to the rail and a couple of deck/engine officers (the professional mariners) present to answer questions about the boats, etc.

Not sure what you mean by "pull down activation" of cruise ship lifejackets. Inflatable lifejackets are not type I, which is the only type approved for ocean-going passenger vessels, and inflatables would be the only type that are "activated". type I PFD's are either a full foam filled vest or the foam "horse collar" type.

And remember, having a lifejacket on is not a requirement to get into a lifeboat. Of the extremely rare instances where passengers have had to get into boats, the vast majority of them never even got the lifejacket wet. Is it good practice to bring along as much safety equipment as possible, sure, but if there is no time, it is not a requirement.

I thought I had read on the RCCL threads that you could also request vests in your cabin. Im not sure if it is correct or where I read it but if you dont have the vests in your cabin, perhaps you can request they be put in there.

Fire extinguisher? I keep it in the kitchen where there is the highest probability of an accidental fire, not in my bedroom because when that skillet catches fire, I'm not going to have time to run up to the bedroom to get it.

Same logic applies to life vests. If not in your cabin, they are at the Life Boat Stations. And even if they ARE in your cabin, there will be duplicates at the Life Boat Stations. You don't need one until you go to your Life Boat Station, and therefore that is where they are stored. And there is a difference between that and a Muster Station.

In an emergency, the Captain may ask passengers to remain where they are and await further instruction. Or, at some point he may ask them to report to Muster Stations manned by trained staff. This is what you are doing when you attend the Muster drill. I believe I am correct in saying that the actual jackets are not at the Muster stations, which may be public venues like restaurants and theatres, but at the actual Life Boat Stations. In the most extreme of circumstances, the Captain may order passengers from Muster stations to their respective Lifeboat Stations and THIS is where the jackets are. And they do not sound the emergency alarm except at the actual drill. If they sound it any other time, you will definately hear it on your balcony. For the Drill, passengers are expected to report to the correct Muster Station at the scheduled time. We've always seen staff at stairways and entries to stations to direct passengers and check cards to make sure you are where you are supposed to be.

I am somewhat of a fanatic on safety myself. I pay attention during the flight safety demos. I know where my Floatation device and over wing exits are. Same at hotels, I know where the stairwells are. But you are really overthinking this. A mob of thousands of passengers overrunning the crew? I think my fellow passengers are smarter than that.

The chance of having to take to the lifeboats is about as likely as being struck by lightning and bitten by a shark on the same day. How many sailings of cruise ships over the last 10 years or so, and how many have gone down? Even a close call, like a fire on board would make big news here on Cruise Critic and I don't see those reported either except for a handful of noteable cases. Some of the deaths are fire related, and a life vest will not save you from that. Safety at Sea experts much smarter than me know how best to set up emergency procedures at sea. So, I'll go on their good judgement, do what the crew tells me to do, and pay attention to instructions.

Actually, the Oasis-Class has the life vests at the muster stations, unless they were lying to us. I know they were not in our cabin and honestly have no clue about them being on the life boat itself. Nine of us were there and walked-away with the same understanding. You can also do a Google search if you don't want to take my word for it. I honestly think that the crew would do their best to keep order and help but they are human and that is a paycheck. More than likely, they have a family they want to make it back to also. They will have their own best interest at heart. I assume responsibility to look after my family, with the guidance of the crew.

Ok, yes, you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, so do we. That's not the only one we have though because our kitchen is on the other side of our house. My point is that you have one that is in your immediate living space and not handed-out by someone else.

Actually, the Oasis-Class has the life vests at the muster stations, unless they were lying to us. I know they were not in our cabin and honestly have no clue about them being on the life boat itself. Nine of us were there and walked-away with the same understanding. You can also do a Google search if you don't want to take my word for it. I honestly think that the crew would do their best to keep order and help but they are human and that is a paycheck. More than likely, they have a family they want to make it back to also. They will have their own best interest at heart. I assume responsibility to look after my family, with the guidance of the crew.

Yes, the Oasis class ships, and many others, have the lifejackets at the muster locations, not the boats. Some ships that have the muster stations at the boats have the jackets there.

Remember, if, in the rare instance that the passengers are told to get in the boats and get away, that signal that passengers believe is the "abandon ship" signal (more than six short blasts followed by a prolonged blast), is really the signal for fire and general emergency. To the crew, this signals that they are to go to their fire and emergency stations, which include the majority of crew who are assigned to assist passengers getting to their muster stations, and if necessary getting into the boats and away. There will only be 2-3 crew assigned to each lifeboat as crew (except in the mega-lifeboats like Oasis, where there are 16 assigned). Those crew running the muster, and those preparing the boats for launching are not boat crew, and will not get into the boat. Only once the passengers are away in all the boats will the Captain think of sounding the abandon ship signal (one prolonged blast), which releases the crew from their emergency station and sends them to their abandon ship station. So, while you may think that the crew doesn't give a damn about you (and those who chatter and carry on at drill tend to reinforce this idea), know that it is in the crew's best interest to get the passengers away, as quickly as possible, because they come after.

On my last cruise they said life jackets would be in your room AND at the muster station... that being said, even if I was in my room I don't know that I would bother looking for my life jacket. My priority would be to get on a lifeboat ASAP... Screw the life jacket - I'd rather get in line to evacuate in a boat than in line to get a life jacket with 1,000 other people scrambling to get them out of a closet

I don't know where the life jackets are on the Oasis class ships; cabin, Muster Stations, Life Boat Stations, the Life Boats themselves or all of the above, nor do I care. Doubtless they are where they are supposed to be based on SOLAS ( or whatever entity governs this ) regulations and the ship's own procedures, and in more than sufficient numbers to handle all passengers and crew. All I need to know is where I report to when the alarm sounds.

Yes, the crew has family. So do airline cabin crews, law enforcement and fire professionals. They still do their jobs in risky emergencies. Some lose their lives. I guess I have more faith in the crew and other passengers than you. And the odds that you will ever be in a position to have to enter a life boat in an emergency is infinitesimal.

Not having them in our room did not settle well with us on The Allure. If you've sailed on Allure, you probably know but the life vests are stored at your muster station and not in your room. I don't trust 6,000 people to remain calm enough to even find their muster station in a true emergency.

I think it is right to question how well an emergency on a 6000 passenger ship will be handled. Fortunately that has yet to tested in a real emergency. But in a real emergency there is a fair chance you won't be headed to your cabin first.

In any case on Allure of the Seas you can request lifejackets in your cabin. I asked where they were when my cabin attendant introduced himself. The cabin attendent asked me if I wanted him to bring a lifejacket to the cabin. I declined but when I returned after dinner there was a lifejacket in my cabin.

As far as the poster who mentioned jumping-of their balcony, we always have a balcony and there are a few scenarios in which it would be a better alternative to me. Given all the other things you could die from at sea, the first thing would be drowning.

I'm curious as to what those sceanarios are. :confused:

The most dangerous thing that can happen to a ship the size of these cruise vessels isn't them sinking, it's fire. You're probably right though, how most unintended (and not from natural causes) deaths that happen on a cruise ship is drowing... in the swimming pools.

A fairly typical setup for *Away (+) class ships with NCL, life vests stored/kept under the bed with a basket - and, symbol/sign nearby pointing to its location near the desk/dresser area.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109650591/NCL%20Cruise%20-%20General/IMGOF0328_1753.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109650591/NCL%20Cruise%20-%20General/IMGOF0329_0126.jpg

Emergency preparedness involves skills, training, access to resources and mindsets - I am appreciative of ships with easily accessible AED for use, as the odds for surviving a heart attack drastically drop without quick access to one nearby. But I just don't find it necessary to keep a few of them near me (as a qualified user) at all times ... now about latex gloves and CPR shield. Hi-output waterproof LED flashlight for personal safety, anyone ?

I'm curious as to what those sceanarios are. :confused:

The most dangerous thing that can happen to a ship the size of these cruise vessels isn't them sinking, it's fire. You're probably right though, how most unintended (and not from natural causes) deaths that happen on a cruise ship is drowing... in the swimming pools.

I'm not going to spell them all out for you but if my cabin is on fire and my choices are to burn to death or go-out the balcony and chance it, guess what I'm doing? Maybe I can't get back out in the hallway to get to my muster station. What if the ship has turned over and my side happens to be on the side that's up? What if there is a man on the moon? Yes, I'm being sarcastic now because there are very few scenarios in which I would do that. Oh and yes, fires can happen more frequently than sinking but what happens if the fire isn't contained? The ship would eventually sink if it wasn't stopped, etc.

I'm glad so many of you completely trust other people with your lives. I just don't. For the 1 millionth time, it was a question that apparently many can't handle. If someone asked you this on person, would you answer the same way? I doubt it. If you did, the conversation would end very quickly. It never ceases to amaze me how snarky people are when they are sitting behind a keyboard. I know this isn't representative of NCL passengers as a whole but usually people are helpful on CC boards and not so judgmental. Of all the other boards I've been on, this is literally the first post I've made on the NCL side and wow... some of you are just trolling the boards with nothing else to do but throw your 2 cents in. Sounds like an action-packed life. I'm sure you all could tell me how to build a rocket-ship too and it's dumb to wear seat belts.

A fairly typical setup for *Away (+) class ships with NCL, life vests stored/kept under the bed with a basket - and, symbol/sign nearby pointing to its location near the desk/dresser area.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109650591/NCL%20Cruise%20-%20General/IMGOF0328_1753.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109650591/NCL%20Cruise%20-%20General/IMGOF0329_0126.jpg

Emergency preparedness involves skills, training, access to resources and mindsets - I am appreciative of ships with easily accessible AED for use, as the odds for surviving a heart attack drastically drop without quick access to one nearby. But I just don't find it necessary to keep a few of them near me (as a qualified user) at all times ... now about latex gloves and CPR shield. Hi-output waterproof LED flashlight for personal safety, anyone ?

Thank you for posting pictures.

I agree about the AED. I too am certified and want to know where the machines closest to me are located and no, I don't have to have one in my cabin. I was happy to learn that mouth-to-mouth is no longer necessary with CPR (however some feel it is better). When my BLS expired, I just did an Advanced CPR class. It's kind of interesting to see what has changed in only a couple of years. I did have a portable/disposable mask that I carried for a while. I'm the person in our crew that packs everything and hate being unprepared.

What are the odds that you would actually be in your room at the time of an emergency? I know I personally am only in my room at night to sleep so that would only be less than one third of the time. So I would be reporting directly to mister station if an emergency occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except it wasn't -- and that's the problem with emergencies. Things that are supposed to never happen sometimes happen. Badly. So I think OP's question is entirely fair. Life vests aren't provided in passenger cabins? That's some serious corporate hubris right there. Is that true on all NCL ships?

The Allure is not an NCL ship but a Royal Caribbean ship that doesn't have Life vests in the cabin. All the NCL ship's I've been on so far all had vests in the cabin in all classes of cabins.

What are the odds that you would actually be in your room at the time of an emergency? I know I personally am only in my room at night to sleep so that would only be less than one third of the time. So I would be reporting directly to mister station if an emergency occurred.

Someone said something similar earlier. We spend quite a bit of time in our cabin and I've mentioned my reasoning for wanting a life vest in there. The chances of me being in my muster station are even more slim actually. I was in mine for a total of 2 hours on my last cruise.

The Allure is not an NCL ship but a Royal Caribbean ship that doesn't have Life vests in the cabin. All the NCL ship's I've been on so far all had vests in the cabin in all classes of cabins.

Yes, Allure is an RC ship but the reason I asked is because I wasn't sure if this is the new thing to do across the industry. I can see them doing it to save money, if nothing else. Less life jackets disappear if they are locked-up in muster stations where passengers cannot access them. Some ding-dongs probably take them as souvenirs (which costs the cruise line money), when they are in the cabins.

Yes, Allure is an RC ship but the reason I asked is because I wasn't sure if this is the new thing to do across the industry. I can see them doing it to save money, if nothing else. Less life jackets disappear if they are locked-up in muster stations where passengers cannot access them. Some ding-dongs probably take them as souvenirs (which costs the cruise line money), when they are in the cabins.

Seriously. You think passengers take life jackets as souvenirs? That assertion sounds ding-dong to me.

Ever thought about the flow of passengers in an emergency? For a ship of that size, getting passengers to where they need to be instead of getting stuck in hallways and staircases probably has more to do with it than costs of the life jackets. I've heard of pax stealing bathrobes, but life jackets??? Come on now, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm not going to spell them all out for you but if my cabin is on fire and my choices are to burn to death or go-out the balcony and chance it, guess what I'm doing? Maybe I can't get back out in the hallway to get to my muster station. What if the ship has turned over and my side happens to be on the side that's up? What if there is a man on the moon? Yes, I'm being sarcastic now because there are very few scenarios in which I would do that. Oh and yes, fires can happen more frequently than sinking but what happens if the fire isn't contained? The ship would eventually sink if it wasn't stopped, etc.

I'm glad so many of you completely trust other people with your lives. I just don't. For the 1 millionth time, it was a question that apparently many can't handle. If someone asked you this on person, would you answer the same way? I doubt it. If you did, the conversation would end very quickly. It never ceases to amaze me how snarky people are when they are sitting behind a keyboard. I know this isn't representative of NCL passengers as a whole but usually people are helpful on CC boards and not so judgmental. Of all the other boards I've been on, this is literally the first post I've made on the NCL side and wow... some of you are just trolling the boards with nothing else to do but throw your 2 cents in. Sounds like an action-packed life. I'm sure you all could tell me how to build a rocket-ship too and it's dumb to wear seat belts.

Scenario 1 - Your cabin is on fire: You kick down the balcony divider(s) and escape.

Scenario 2 - Can't get back out into the hallway: See solution above. Or if one side of the hallway is blocked, there's usually the other side to escape, or a crew corridor/staircase.

Scenario 3 - Ship capsized: How quickly do you think this happens? The Poseidon Adventure is a movie, even the smallest cruise ships will not simply flop over, it takes HOURS for water to make its way through the many watertight compartments and then decks to sink or capsize a ship. You will have an insane amount of time to leave your cabin and make your way to your muster station before the vessel capsizes.

Please, please, please. Do NOT (!!!) jump off your balcony under any circumstances; for most ships, the lowest balconies are located on a deck the equivalent of a 6 storey building, many megaships are now twice as tall, jumping into water at that height is like jumping onto concrete, you will be injured or worse.

Your greatest chance of survival in an emergency is to find a lifeboat, and the greatest chance of dying in an emergency is drowning in the ocean (if the fall doesn't kill you first). I'm not mocking you or being snarky, you obviously care about the safety of your family, please understand that you're putting them in direct and imminent danger by even thinking about jumping.

Think back to the Concordia, passengers that died either went back to their cabins or they drowned from jumping into the sea (most of the deaths were from drowning). Everybody that made it into a lifeboat survived.

DON'T JUMP FROM YOUR BALCONY!! :eek:

Edited by ddakrt

Someone said something similar earlier. We spend quite a bit of time in our cabin and I've mentioned my reasoning for wanting a life vest in there. The chances of me being in my muster station are even more slim actually. I was in mine for a total of 2 hours on my last cruise.

It's not about your chances of being in your muster station. It's about heading straight to your muster station from wherever you are without having to stop at your room first.

Scenario 1 - Your cabin is on fire: You kick down the balcony divider(s) and escape.

Scenario 2 - Can't get back out into the hallway: See solution above. Or if one side of the hallway is blocked, there's usually the other side to escape, or a crew corridor/staircase.

Scenario 3 - Ship capsized: How quickly do you think this happens? The Poseidon Adventure is a movie, even the smallest cruise ships will not simply flop over, it takes HOURS for water to make its way through the many watertight compartments and then decks to sink or capsize a ship. You will have an insane amount of time to leave your cabin and make your way to your muster station before the vessel capsizes.

Please, please, please. Do NOT (!!!) jump off your balcony under any circumstances; for most ships, the lowest balconies are located on a deck the equivalent of a 6 storey building, many megaships are now twice as tall, jumping into water at that height is like jumping onto concrete, you will be injured or worse.

Your greatest chance of survival in an emergency is to find a lifeboat, and the greatest chance of dying in an emergency is drowning in the ocean (if the fall doesn't kill you first). I'm not mocking you or being snarky, you obviously care about the safety of your family, please understand that you're putting them in direct and imminent danger by even thinking about jumping.

Think back to the Concordia, passengers that died either went back to their cabins or they drowned from jumping into the sea (most of the deaths were from drowning). Everybody that made it into a lifeboat survived.

DON'T JUMP FROM YOUR BALCONY!! :eek:

I really hope you understand that the options you gave would be my first options as well. Jumping would be my last option but better than a few things under certain scenarios. Sadly, I think of complete worst-case scenarios. That's part of what I do for a living, actually and I go back to the idea of liking options. With as much time as we do spend in cabins, it was much nicer to us to have the jackets there. Having now been on The Allure and seeing what all you go through to find your muster station, I am just really concerned that people would do as they should and go to their own station. Some venues felt small and the fastest way to get to them was through a few other venues, a casino, art gallery, etc. Thinking about having to go through all of that just to get my vest made me nervous. I've never felt that way on a ship. No one else we were with liked it either.

Oh and about it being ridiculous for people take life jackets... I'm not saying I would. I'm just saying people take everything. I just found another thread where someone asked about life vests on the Oasis class ships and someone even made a statement about how you would be surprised at the things people take (including life vests). Apparently I'm not the only one who would like one in their room too. I do like the idea of them being at the muster station but I like them in my room in case I am in there when something goes down. People were stealing jackets from each other too on Concordia. Ideally, they would be both places.

I genuinely do appreciate you trying to help with scenario advice.

I actually feel the opposite of the OP. I want them at my muster station, not in my room. I don't want to be eating, at a show, at the pool, etc., hear the call and all of us have to run to our rooms, get the life vests, then all be trying to get thru the small hallways with our vests on the way to our muster stations.