procedure for reeimbursement for medical care.

elruth

We were just on the Pearl. Husband on day 3 woke up with a barking seal cough and he was sick for the rest of the cruise. We had the NCL insurance that we bought when we signed up for the cruise. He had blood work done, a ear swab to see if he had the flu, a chest xray . Got an RX for antibiotics and an over the counter type cough med. I did get all the papers and wondered who I call and can I just fax them in. The visit to the medical clinic cost $ 400.00 which I put on our credit card.

Seems a lot of people had this heavy deep cough on the March 3- 10 cruise.I came down with that bug the day before we flew home and I feel miserable, Husband is still ill.

I could be off base but I don't believe the insurance you purchased through NCL covers medical issues. It's generally for trip cancellation or interruption. Th one time we needed the services of the ship doctor, my medical insurance reimbursed us, not the trip insurance.

We were just on the Pearl. Husband on day 3 woke up with a barking seal cough and he was sick for the rest of the cruise. We had the NCL insurance that we bought when we signed up for the cruise. He had blood work done, a ear swab to see if he had the flu, a chest xray . Got an RX for antibiotics and an over the counter type cough med. I did get all the papers and wondered who I call and can I just fax them in. The visit to the medical clinic cost $ 400.00 which I put on our credit card.

Seems a lot of people had this heavy deep cough on the March 3- 10 cruise.I came down with that bug the day before we flew home and I feel miserable, Husband is still ill.

If you have NCL BookSafe insurance:

Covered Expenses:Accident Medical Expense/Sickness MedicalExpense:1. expenses for the following Physician-ordered medicalservices: services of legally qualified Physicians andgraduate nurses, charges for Hospital confinementand services, local ambulance services, prescriptiondrugs and medicines, and therapeutic services,incurred by you within one year from the date of yourSickness or Injury;2. expenses for emergency dental treatment incurred byyou during a Covered Cruise Vacation;

3. All Other Claims: Report your claim as soon aspossible to Aon Affinity. Provide the policy number,your travel dates, and details describing the natureof your loss. Upon receipt of this information, AonAffinity will promptly forward you the appropriateclaim form to complete.Online: http://www.travelclaim.comPhone: 1-(800) 722-5672 or 1-(516) 342-2720Mail: Aon Affinity, 300 Jericho Quadrangle,P.O. Box 9022, Jericho, NY 11753Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 10.00 PM ET, Monday - Friday; 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET, Saturday

Important: In order to facilitate prompt claims settlementupon your return, be sure to obtain as applicable: detailedmedical statements from Physicians in attendance wherethe Accident or Sickness occurred; receipts for medicalservices and supplies; receipts from the Hospital; policereports or claims reports from the parties responsible(e.g., airline, cruise line, hotel, etc.) for any loss, theft,damage or delay. In the event of a baggage claim,receipts for any lost or damaged items will be required.In the event of a Baggage Delay or Trip Delay claim,receipts for any additional covered expenses will berequired, as well as verification of the delay. You mustreceive initial treatment within 90 days of the accident,which caused the Injury or the onset of the Sickness.

Wondered about ship medical clinic visit costs. Thanks. Guess that is reasonable. My wife had to go to our local hospital ER last week. She had two EKGs (one didn't read correctly) , blood drawn three times (one time did not analyze correctly), blood pressure checked several times, and consultation with overworked ER doctor on duty. Got the bill yesterday. $3300....or the cost of a really nice cruise.

My wife had to go to our local hospital ER last week. She had two EKGs (one didn't read correctly) , blood drawn three times (one time did not analyse correctly), blood pressure checked several times, and consultation with overworked ER doctor on duty. Got the bill yesterday. $3300....or the cost of a really nice cruise.

Do you not have any medical insurance for situations like this? Thank goodness for the NHS.:)

Do you not have any medical insurance for situations like this? Thank goodness for the NHS.:)

Yes. I'm fortunate to still have subsidized insurance from before I retired. However, my annual premium for the two of us is $6000 with a $6000 copay and deductible required. However, for us, a triple bypass, a knee replacement, and various other odds and ends during the past few years, we've recovered our costs many times over I guess.

I came down with the flu on our Oceania cruise two years ago. The cost of visiting the doctor on board ship was added to our on-board credit card and then I sent the bill to my health insurance company when I got home. We were reimbursed for about 2/3 of the cost.

I would seriously question the ear swab to check for the flu. If they stuck the swab in your ear to check for the flu, they are just making things up as they go along.

I think it is obvious they are describing that an 'ear swab' was used to take a sample instead of a swab actually stuck into the ear.

I booked a cabin on our cruise for our son and his family to join us and we chose the third person free for our perk so the cost for our grandson was less than $100.00. When I made the final payment and wanted to purchase the insurance, I told the agent that I didn't need insurance for him because it cost so little for his fare and she said that we would still want to get it in case he needed medical treatment. I would think that the treatment that you received while on board would be covered.

I think it is obvious they are describing that an 'ear swab' was used to take a sample instead of a swab actually stuck into the ear.

I am not medically qualified so do wonder how a sample taken from the ear can check for flu!

During my last years at work for a tour operator, part of my remit was to assist holidaymakers who had the misfortune to fall ill on holiday. You would not believe the unnecessary tests and procedures that I witnessed being added to invoices when the hospital or clinic knew that an insurance company would be picking up the bill. This sounds like another to me.

I am not medically qualified so do wonder how a sample taken from the ear can check for flu!

During my last years at work for a tour operator, part of my remit was to assist holidaymakers who had the misfortune to fall ill on holiday. You would not believe the unnecessary tests and procedures that I witnessed being added to invoices when the hospital or clinic knew that an insurance company would be picking up the bill. This sounds like another to me.

Once again....I bet it is nothing to do with the ear. An ear swab, otherwise known as a cotton swab, was used to collect a sample from the normal locations in the throat or nose.

Once again....I bet it is nothing to do with the ear. An ear swab, otherwise known as a cotton swab, was used to collect a sample from the normal locations in the throat or nose.

Sorry ray98. That is not what I understood from your reply it I get it now.

Yes. I'm fortunate to still have subsidized insurance from before I retired. However, my annual premium for the two of us is $6000 with a $6000 copay and deductible required. However, for us, a triple bypass, a knee replacement, and various other odds and ends during the past few years, we've recovered our costs many times over I guess.

$500/month is what you pay? Yikes.

Anyway- general- depending where you travel- and how often- I have been purchasing annual international medical coverage for several years. Extremely cheap for the coverage. My priority is to have a good evacuation coverage. There are so many people who are under insured or have the naive thinking- nothing has happened yet, so nothing will. I self insure my cruises, since they are usually rock bottom last minute rates and are of little significance to me.