Tipping in Europe

KYFLOHgal

Hi,,,,our cruise in May will take us to France, Italy and Croatia. We are taking a couple of excursions through Celebrity, and also a few private excursions with new Cruise Critic Roll Call friends. How much should I plan to set aside for tips? I read a good suggestion to put tips aside in an envelope for each excursion planned.

Thanks for the advise!

Europeans don't tip....it's not their culture. If you feel you must...give them a couple bucks (or the equivalent)...don't "over do" it.

In restaurants, with waiter service...leave the change...that's it! Folks there are not "tipped" employees like here, in the States.

Have you done a search on CC topics to get an idea of what to expect? As this question comes up in one way or another at least twice a week and can get very heated.

Just saying [emoji6]

I have read a few,,for example, http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=132

The suggested $2 for a half day trip sounds a bit cheap to me,,,,,

Europeans tip very differently to what we are used to in the US. (However, keep in mind that 'Europe' isn't one monolithic country and there are differences....)

In general, tips are smaller. No need to give 15-20% in any of the countries you mention. A smaller token tip is more appropriate for local customs.

Reading some websites online may be helpful. Here's one to start with:

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/tipping-in-europe

Hi,,,,our cruise in May will take us to France, Italy and Croatia. We are taking a couple of excursions through Celebrity, and also a few private excursions with new Cruise Critic Roll Call friends. How much should I plan to set aside for tips? I read a good suggestion to put tips aside in an envelope for each excursion planned.

Thanks for the advise!

Often tipping is country specific and is so in the countries you have mentioned.

I would recommend posting your questions on the respective ports of call boards for the places you are visiting.

Keith