Is the Haven courtyard on the Epic enclosed/covered?

BabysBday

Hi - We're just off the Breakaway and loved the Haven experience so much we're already looking at the Epic for this fall.

Quick question, does the Haven courtyard have a roof like the one on the Breakaway? Having that "solarium"-type area was wonderful in the cooler weather and would preferable for an end of October Mediterranean sailing.

One thing the Haven Epic does have is the Courtyard Grill. It is off the pool and attached to the Epic Haven restaurant. It is indoors, but the windows are all open (with slats if I remember correctly), so you do get some outdoor air while still being protected.

There is a bar there, along with tables for eating and comfy chairs for relaxing.

Not the same as a roof over the courtyard, but it can be a substitute if needed.

One thing the Haven Epic does have is the Courtyard Grill. It is off the pool and attached to the Epic Haven restaurant. It is indoors, but the windows are all open (with slats if I remember correctly), so you do get some outdoor air while still being protected.

There is a bar there, along with tables for eating and comfy chairs for relaxing.

Not the same as a roof over the courtyard, but it can be a substitute if needed.

Thanks for the tip! The Epic's Haven lounge area also looks a bit larger than the Breakaway's and with the two bar areas, seems like adequate space indoors away from the crowds. Might have to get a spa pass for the cruise, to guarantee a place to warm up.

Just off Epic. In Haven Owner's Suite. We had spa passes. Won't next time. It was so crowded in comparison to the Haven complex.

I had my first massage in the spa in the "floating bed". That is my very favorite treatment. And I was in there on a port day, so that was nice. The rest of the time it was nearly impossible to snag a heated tile lounger or a recliner/daybed on the aft in the open air area. There were just too many people who went there for all-afternoon naps.

Once I "discovered" the fitness center/spa in the Haven On 17, almost across the hall, I worked out and had treatments there.

With the Haven pool area, posh, haven grill area, my balcony and my huge tub I really felt relaxed.

The spa could be loud and the smokers below the open area made it "less than".

The pool area was VERY windy in the late afternoon and the evenings. So few people used the pool, but the 2 hot tubs had some takers.

I was prepared to not love the Epic. As my favorite ship was and is The Sun. But I was really impressed by how much we did love this cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a small haven spa as well.

Not sure how big as we were in a Spa suite so didn't use it.

There is a sauna that looks out over the Havens pool and a steam room. One floor up, there is a small gym that looks out over the courtyard.

It's funny how sailings can be so different. I spent a lot of time in the spa. During my Epic cruise (end of Jan 2015), the Haven Courtyard was unusable from early AM until early evening.every.single.day. It was not only packed with large family groups. Many kids with goggles, swim rings and flippers in pool and hot tubs. I wasn't the only one that asked personnel if one hot tub could be kid free or, at the very least, equipment free and the answer was no.

I had a similar experience on the Escape last year as far as families and swimming equipment in hot tubs. This year's Escape cruise was much better as far as the Courtyard "circus" atmosphere.

I'm convinced, it's the luck of the draw where ever you plan on spending most of your time.

Just off Epic. In Haven Owner's Suite. We had spa passes. Won't next time. It was so crowded in comparison to the Haven complex.

I had my first massage in the spa in the "floating bed". That is my very favorite treatment. And I was in there on a port day, so that was nice. The rest of the time it was nearly impossible to snag a heated tile lounger or a recliner/daybed on the aft in the open air area. There were just too many people who went there for all-afternoon naps.

Once I "discovered" the fitness center/spa in the Haven On 17, almost across the hall, I worked out and had treatments there.

With the Haven pool area, posh, haven grill area, my balcony and my huge tub I really felt relaxed.

The pool area was VERY windy in the late afternoon and the evenings. So few people used the pool, but the 2 hot tubs had some takers.

I was prepared to not love the Epic. As my favorite ship was and is The Sun. But I was really impressed by how much we did love this cruise.

It's funny how sailings can be so different. I spent a lot of time in the spa. During my Epic cruise (end of Jan 2015), the Haven Courtyard was unusable from early AM until early evening.every.single.day. It was not only packed with large family groups. Many kids with goggles, swim rings and flippers in pool and hot tubs. I wasn't the only one that asked personnel if one hot tub could be kid free or, at the very least, equipment free and the answer was no.

I had a similar experience on the Escape last year as far as families and swimming equipment in hot tubs. This year's Escape cruise was much better as far as the Courtyard "circus" atmosphere.

I'm convinced, it's the luck of the draw where ever you plan on spending most of your time.

Wow. Hardly any kids on our 2/25 cruise. And the few in the Haven were delightful.

I know each and every time I book a cruise to leave my expectations out of it. And then adapt.

Hope your next one is more peaceful.

I should have added that I had great cruises both times. I spent a lot of time on the sun decks (Posh on the Epic), which were kid free and very enjoyable.

I have no problem with kids....just don't care for them running, screaming and dominating the pool and hot tubs, with gear in tow. The beauty of large cruise ships is that many alternatives are available:)

Wow. Hardly any kids on our 2/25 cruise. And the few in the Haven were delightful.

I know each and every time I book a cruise to leave my expectations out of it. And then adapt.

Hope your next one is more peaceful.

The spa area on the Epic is open to a public area where smoking is allowed?! Yipes.

And there is a private, Haven-only fitness center and spa area with both a sauna and steam room on the Epic? Nice! That probably eliminates the need for a spa pass then. I didn't get the spa pass last week while on the BA and despite getting three treatments :halo:, I did miss using the steam room. The BA Haven courtyard has a sauna and two treatment rooms, but because they were basically in the rear of the courtyard, I could hear some of the kids at times during the one treatment I had there. And the staff was pretty good about keeping one of the two hot tubs, which was clearly labeled adults only, kid-free. We weren't overrun with kids in the Haven complex, regardless.

Sounds as if the Haven common areas on the Epic are larger than on the BA. That might just be the clincher ;)

Thanks for everyone's feedback! It's much appreciated.