Will Princess security seize a Leatherman Tool in carry-on or checked luggage?

Nashna

We were quite surprised last August when check in security at Liberty for our Celebrity Summit cruise took my husband's standard Leatherman tool out of his bag and confiscated it until we returned the following week. This was one of the first times we have not needed to fly to our cruise and we were not aware that Leatherman tools aren't allowed onboard. We are driving to FLL for our March 26th cruise on the Regal and are wondering if he will encounter the same type of security with Princess. The tool was in his carry-on bag.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

Excerpted from the FAQs section on Prohibited Items:

• Knives with a blade over 6.35 cm (2 ½ inches) or ½ inch at widest point. This includes bladed weapons, sharp pointed weapons, daggers, sabers, swords, axes, ice axes, hatchets, straight razors (shaving safety razors are allowed), razor blades not in a cartridge, box cutters, ice picks, meat cleavers and utility knives.
  • Concealed bladed weapons such as belt buckles knives, cane and umbrella knives/swords, pen knives and credit card knives.
  • Recreational Diver’s Knives unless accompanied by other diving/snorkeling equipment and a valid diving ID card/license (must be held in the custody of the Security Officer). Dive knives may be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.
  • Diver’s spears and spear guns/slings.
  • Ceremonial knives/swords as well as entertainment props are at times permitted with prior notification from the Fleet Security Department (must be held on-board in the same manner as dive knives).
  • Flick knives, gravity knives, switchblades or lock knives. Small locking pocket knives with blade lengths less than 6.35 cm (2 ½ inches) and widths ½ inch or less are allowed.
  • Scissors with blades longer than 4 inches.

Randomly clicking on a couple Leatheman Tools on google I found all had at least one blade or sharp implement longer than 2.5 inches. So a good chance it will be "held for safekeeping" (though I'm sure there will be subsequent replies on how to conceal it from detection in checked luggage :rolleyes:).

Thank you for the info. I was amazed to see the size of some of the knives in the port security room. It seems so silly to confiscate his tool as we were given large steak knives in the gourmet restaurant. When we fly to cruises, he always puts the Leatherman in his checked luggage and it has never been confiscated. We certainly don't want to make a trip to the naughty room.

I used to always have a large Swiss Army Knife in my Dopp kit. I mostly used it for the cork screw. I didn't even think about it and took it along on several cruises. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't have passed scrutiny if it was in my carry on luggage but, like I said, I never even thought about it and it went right through in my checked luggage. I don't intentionally try to circumvent the rules.

We've had a Swiss Army knife held in security for the duration of a cruise, detected when the luggage was screened on board. My husband got summoned to the 'naughty room' 😂. It had so many uses, cork screw, tweezers, scissors etc, needless to say we leave it at home these days ☹️.

My luggage was not in the cabin at the same time as was my bride's luggage as we got ready for a TA from Copenhagen to NY several years ago and I became concerned. I looked at the luggage loading operations from the cabin balcony shortly before casting off and thought that I spotted my bag being loaded.

Right before dinner I was asked to report to security where I was asked to open my bag and show the object that was seen by X-ray.

I showed them the tool and was allowed to keep it but was advised that I should probably leave it at home in the future; I have.

YMMV

It is always packed in the checked luggage. Never a problem. Although once on a cruise to New England and Canada it was in DH pocket and we could not get into one site on the hop on/off buses. Can't remember the name but could not pass the security check with it in his pocket. I took possession and sat on a bench while DH went on the old ship and had a great time. I was just as happy be sitting on the bench.

Never had a problem carrying my Leatherman in my checked luggage until boarding Emerald Princess in Southampton this past September when I was paged to the security area dockside and had the choice of mailing said Leatherman home at a cost of 36 pounds (about 43 us dollars) or tossing it in a sealed disposal bin. I wasn't 36 pounds attached to my Leatherman so I tossed it in the sealed bin. I did have to laugh though when the security inspector asked me if I wanted to keep the case it came in...I said no, it's not really much good without the Leatherman inside it and headed to Vines to drown my sorrow...oh, who am I kidding I just wanted a glass of wine but did miss my Leatherman later in the cruise when I could have used it.

Never had a problem carrying my Leatherman in my checked luggage until boarding Emerald Princess in Southampton this past September when I was paged to the security area dockside and had the choice of mailing said Leatherman home at a cost of 36 pounds (about 43 us dollars) or tossing it in a sealed disposal bin. I wasn't 36 pounds attached to my Leatherman so I tossed it in the sealed bin. I did have to laugh though when the security inspector asked me if I wanted to keep the case it came in...I said no, it's not really much good without the Leatherman inside it and headed to Vines to drown my sorrow...oh, who am I kidding I just wanted a glass of wine but did miss my Leatherman later in the cruise when I could have used it.

Why was it so expensive to mail ?

Hi sarge, i was the guy from florida waiting in line next to you after they seized MY leatherman tool from suitcase (not carried on). 30 cruises with it, and i liked it a lot ,but it would have been dumb for me to pay 36 pounds for them to mail it home it to me. Some cruise lines i am told hold such items till demarcation but the private security at Southampton said this wasn't an option.

FYI: The cutting utensil i was given to use at the specialty restaurant that evening was larger than the knife blade on my leatherman

I have taken my Leatherman (tool - knife) on many cruises with Princess and only had a problem once and that was when we were sailing out of South Hampton. The knife was seized due to the fact that any knife with a locking blade was illegal. We were able to retrieve the Leatherman once we docked in Fort Lauderdale. This was my experience and I can't say it is consistent on every departure from England or even South Hampton.

I hope this helps.

Dave

We've had a Swiss Army knife held in security for the duration of a cruise, detected when the luggage was screened on board. My husband got summoned to the 'naughty room' 😂. It had so many uses, cork screw, tweezers, scissors etc, needless to say we leave it at home these days ☹️.

This post made me curious, so I just checked my Swiss Army Knife (quite an elaborate one, with lots of items like yours). The main blade is 2 1/2 inches in length , so it is "legal" for Princess purposes, carried on-board in checked luggage. :)

...VTX-Al