NCL is making me nervous

MellyMel612

Yesterday was 90 days for us. We are paid in full, including pre-paying the service fees. Online check-in is 100% complete for 4 people in 2 cabins. Dining reservations made.

Last week got an email that I should complete my reservation to not lose our cabin choices and make a myncl account. At that point cruise was all but $500 paid for and myncl account was made when I booked online at the end of January. Saw that others had gotten the same email so just wrote it off as a glitch.

A few minutes ago I get a computerized voicemail that our final payment is past due and our reservations will be canceled in 3 days. Both our reservations show they are fully paid on ncl.com and I have email confirmations of zero balances. I call and get a giggly haha rep that has no answer other than to say "oh my gosh, well I don't know what to tell you, it says here you're all set. Just ignore it. HAHA" She then asks if it's our first time on Norwegian (it is) and goes on to tell me to use the safe in the cabins but "not because it's the crew I'm worried about but the other passengers. I've seen it happen. I've caught someone. You have to be on guard and watch other passengers" I am in no way worried about other passengers or our belongings. I know how to keep our things safe and she makes it sound like I'm about to enter "a bad neighborhood" on NCL. Who says that to new customers?!?! :rolleyes:

This is the point in our trip where nearly everything is planned and confirmed and we should be coasting until June but now I'll be constantly checking to make sure our reservation stays put! No more "glitches" please NCL!

Edited by MellyMel612

Don't get nervous.

WE got the same email, even though our next NCL cruise is over 400 days away.

Me thinks it's a glitch.

BTW, I am in no way worried about other passengers or crew.

Past experience (embarrassed );

If you leave your safe open, the "crew" will notify security so you don't blame them of theft.

Edited by $hip$hape

Yesterday was 90 days for us. We are paid in full, including pre-paying the service fees. Online check-in is 100% complete for 4 people in 2 cabins. Dining reservations made.

Last week got an email that I should complete my reservation to not lose our cabin choices and make a myncl account. At that point cruise was all but $500 paid for and myncl account was made when I booked online at the end of January. Saw that others had gotten the same email so just wrote it off as a glitch.

A few minutes ago I get a computerized voicemail that our final payment is past due and our reservations will be canceled in 3 days. Both our reservations show they are fully paid on ncl.com and I have email confirmations of zero balances. I call and get a giggly haha rep that has no answer other than to say "oh my gosh, well I don't know what to tell you, it says here you're all set. Just ignore it. HAHA" She then asks if it's our first time on Norwegian (it is) and goes on to tell me to use the safe in the cabins but "not because it's the crew I'm worried about but the other passengers. I've seen it happen. I've caught someone. You have to be on guard and watch other passengers" I am in no way worried about other passengers or our belongings. I know how to keep our things safe and she makes it sound like I'm about to enter "a bad neighborhood" on NCL. Who says that to new customers?!?! :rolleyes:

This is the point in our trip where nearly everything is planned and confirmed and we should be coasting until June but now I'll be constantly checking to make sure our reservation stays put! No more "glitches" please NCL!

I would not be to sure that this is not a "hack" trying to get your banking information! I had weird requests as well. Can't imagine that NCl is not concerned!

Edited by edenrayne

You should be fine. As for possible criminal passengers, as long as you are diligent (lock balcony door, don't leave phone/tablet unattended in public, etc.) there shouldn't be any problem.

Yeah, not worried about that part at all, just thought it was an odd place to take the conversation.

As I mentioned, I did call and got a sort of confirmation that all is well, hence the nervousness

I would call again and if you get the same rep hang up and call again. You will feel better talking to someone more professional. Good luck.

The one thing I will add to this, when you call NCL make sure you are calling a number you get from ncl.com. If you are calling a number on the spam message, you may not be calling Norwegian, but the scammer themselves.

This is true for all phishing, or scam emails, or phone calls. If someone calls you claiming to be from a company, or the government, unless you are expecting the call, tell them now is not a good time, and hand up. Look up the correct number for the company in the white pages or online and call them directly. Protect your identity and your information. No one else will.

As far as NCL being a "bad neighborhood"... Absolutely not. I have been on 7 NCL cruises from NYC, and 1 from Boston. I did not sense a criminal element AT ALL. And I pay very close attention to things like that due of my profession. I don't trust anyone because of what I see on a daily basis at work, but never once felt uneasy on a NCL cruise. Have a great time!

The one thing I will add to this, when you call NCL make sure you are calling a number you get from ncl.com. If you are calling a number on the spam message, you may not be calling Norwegian, but the scammer themselves.

This is true for all phishing, or scam emails, or phone calls. If someone calls you claiming to be from a company, or the government, unless you are expecting the call, tell them now is not a good time, and hand up. Look up the correct number for the company in the white pages or online and call them directly. Protect your identity and your information. No one else will.

Yes, it was the NCL number I have stored in my phone. Would not call a number that I didn't know was the company

As far as NCL being a "bad neighborhood"... Absolutely not. I have been on 7 NCL cruises from NYC, and 1 from Boston. I did not sense a criminal element AT ALL. And I pay very close attention to things like that due of my profession. I don't trust anyone because of what I see on a daily basis at work, but never once felt uneasy on a NCL cruise. Have a great time!

It was such a crazy thing for her to say! Thanks!

I would call again and if you get the same rep hang up and call again. You will feel better talking to someone more professional. Good luck.

Yes, called earlier and while they still don't know why I'd have gotten the call, she was at least a little more concerned and reassuring.

I would call NCL again, get the persons name and have her/NCL email you a confirmation that the vacation is paid in full. They should be able to do that much for you. You can print it out and take it with you when your time comes. I work in NYC and am pretty savvy to "bad neighborhoods" and people You just have to keep your guard up at all times, even on the ship. Happy sailing.

Just a word of caution. If you do get a call you are unhappy about, do not call the cruise line / bank etc immediately, even if you look up the correct number.

Scammers often advise you to ring your bank number, but do not hang up their end of the call. This means that although you have dialled a new and correct number, you have not actually been disconnected from the original call.

It is safest to ring another number first, a relative for instance. If you get the relative, all well and good. You can then safely dial the NCL / bank number.

If, however, you dial your sister, and find you are through to 'NCL' or 'your bank', you have avoided a scam!