Bermuda cruise line excursions or Bermuda on our own?

Shugibugi

This June will be our first NCL cruise and we're excited to be sailing on the Breakaway. Since the ship visits Bermuda for 2 nights and it seems we can come and go as we please, can we see the sights and beaches on our own or is it worth it to book NCL's shore excursions? We have been on other cruise lines and we are fairly savvy travelers just never stayed at a port for more than a day. We love exploring so just curious.

Thanks in advance.

Bermuda is very easy to do on your own. First two times I went there, I did enjoy snorkeling excursions (a low key traditional snorkel and the second time, a shipwreck snorkel) but after that, I have just bummed around the island on my own via bus and ferry. It's really about what you want to do. I don't think a beach excursion is worth it but a snorkeling or a catamaran excursion might be fun.

We do Bermuda on our own. The island is safe and easy to navigate, and you don't have to worry about rushing back to the ship. It is very easy to take a cab or public transportation to the beach. There is also a booth in the dock area where you can purchase other types of excursions/activities.

• 10 months later...

I am booked on the Escape to Bermuda in May. We have the $50 excursion perk that I’m assuming u have. I was told as it was suppose to be $50 per port, they give you (3) $50 excursion credits for Bermuda since you will be there for 2 1/2 days. I have to call to ask. I was also told you do have to call to use them as you can’t use the credits online.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am booked on the Escape to Bermuda in May. We have the $50 excursion perk that I’m assuming u have. I was told as it was suppose to be $50 per port, they give you (3) $50 excursion credits for Bermuda since you will be there for 2 1/2 days. I have to call to ask. I was also told you do have to call to use them as you can’t use the credits online.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

this is the fine print for the shore excursion credit:

$50 Per Port Shore Excursion Credit:

$50 USD per port shore excursion credit is per stateroom.

Credit has no monetary value and is nonrefundable.

In the event a port of call or excursion is missed, for any reason, no refund or credit will be issued.

Shore excursion credit is applicable for each port, including debarkation port, and is not transferable to other ports. Use the credit or lose it.

Does not include embarkation ports. Overnight stays count as one port, except Bermuda sailings which can receive up to 3 individual days of shore excursion credit.

Shore excursion credit can only be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 or booking onboard.

We are booked for April, and are mainly doing our own exploring except for the last day. We booked an excursion through the ship because the timelines will be tight, and we don't want to risk being left behind. :) We figured this would make good use of the last day. We'll just need to be sure to get any desired souvenirs the day before, while we are out exploring. :)

buy a 2 day bus and ferry pass right in the building when you get off the ship. you can see the entire island safely and easily on your own. the pass gets you on all busses and ferries.

i usually start out at st. george area on day 1, then do mid-island day 2, then day 3 do the dockyard area. i recommend Horsehoe Bay (everyone should see this beach at least once), Warwick Long Bay, Church Bay, Elbow Beach, Gibbs Hill Light House, teh Crystal Caves, and walking a portion of the Bermuda Rail Trail. I always find something new to do when i go there.

We have been to Bermuda several times. Island is so easy to get around on your own. After a few visits to the island we decided to do a tour with a taxi driver for a day trip. Walked off the ship and there were many taxis lined up. We spoke to some drivers and chose a lovely lady who drove us everywhere we wanted to go on the island, along with her taking us to her Mom's home and her neighborhood! Was great to see some of the island that we missed on previous trips. We did a 4 1/2 hr trip and had her drop us off at the Swizzle Inn when we were done. I wish I could remember the cost, but it was so reasonable. Don't be fooled by the regular taxi rates around the island which can be very high. A driver for the day or a few hours will give you a fair price.:cool: