LIVE Spirit from Ft Lauderdale to Lisbon March 31 2017

spinnaker2

Terry, thanks much for posting Spins' photos!

Happy to have been of help. Appreciate this nice follow-up. Sorry I was a little delayed yesterday afternoon as a change in our Jan. 2018 Mekong River cruise schedule came up and I got "distracted" in checking some air flight options and making certain adjustments for our schedule in Vietnam, Cambodia, Bangkok, etc.

Look forward to getting more pictures from Candy. Especially interested, at least for me, in sunny picture in and around the Silver Spirit, seeing some of the ship's nice food, etc. This includes the wonderful osso buck. Hint! Hint!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 66,906 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Thanks Terry.

Some context, the first photo shows the narrow channel the Spirit went thru to get into the Bermuda Harbor.

The wake of the Spirit is in picture 4 as we leave for the crossing.

Terry enlarged the photo of the Epic, because the picture was to show how the Epic was overtaking us in rough seas on day one out of Bermuda.

The rain photo was yesterday at the German buffet style lunch.

All night we have had large swells and wind on port side of the ship. Although it is my habit to get up and roam around the suite at night, last night I was checking to make certain everything was secured. It's another cloudy day. Wind continues to blow hard, whitecaps on the sea as Poseidon stirs the pot, although the cooking demo cancelled for today due to weather.

I am going to suggest scrimshaw as an activity.

Thanks Terry. Some context, the first photo shows the narrow channel the Spirit went thru to get into the Bermuda Harbor. The wake of the Spirit is in picture 4 as we leave for the crossing. Terry enlarged the photo of the Epic, because the picture was to show how the Epic was overtaking us in rough seas on day one out of Bermuda. The rain photo was yesterday at the German buffet style lunch.

Great added, helpful "context" from Spins. Very helpful. Candy had sent me certain of that info, but I was time-pressured yesterday afternoon in getting ready for an evening meeting and dinner with friends so that I was not able to "process" what I had been sent properly.

THANKS for the added details! Am I assuming correctly that this journey has been a little "rougher" than normal? Or is being that way somewhat "normal" for a trans-Atlantic sailing?

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 176,710 views for this posting.

Many thanks to Terry and Spins for the latest pics...sounds like quite an adventurous crossing this time!

Just wondering if the newly installed glass partitions on the pool deck are helping with the wind that used to whistle along there from the aft end on the cooler days....hopefully the weather will improve as you get closer to Europe Spins!

Keep enjoying.....😊

Sophia,

Yes those wind partitions help a bit, but not for those on the side away from the pool. :-)

Are you on the Muse yet, hope you are enjoying if so. Eagerly awaiting your reports!

Noon announcement brought the news that we will not be going to Horta. A bit disappointing but Captain had to change our course due to weather. Instead we will go directly to Ponta Delgada and overnight there. As well another front coming, but he is hoping to avoid it by sheltering in port.

Sun is peering through and the worshippers are by the pool.

Starting to weave a basket, next I will try it underwater. Don't know what happened to the fun activity of boat building. That was a challenge!

Someone please tell me how to post photos from "SmugMug".

Hi,

know nothing of Smug Mug, but what should work for any picture anywhere on the net is to use your mouse and right click and select "copy image location" then back into your browser and then paste it into the graphics item on the top menu. It should then appear.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jeff, that used to work reliably for all websites. Now many of the free photo hosting websites prohibit "direct links" to their photos. I'm sure that this is to direct traffic to their actual website in order to see the photo, accompanied by tons of ads.

I know that this trick used to work with Google photos but it no longer does. It also seems to not work in Flickr, which is why I abandoned that as well. I haven't tried it with SmugMug yet(mainly because I'm too cheap to pay for an account) but since all of the SmugMug plans are paid, it will very likely still work there.

Thanks JP!

He hasn't been back yet so I guess we don't know whether it will work or not.

Another possible workaround if an ipad is available is to hold your finger firmly on the image and it should ask you if you wish to download the image to the ipad. You could then use the forums app to write the message and select the image to upload to CC. And then delete the image off the ipad if you want to reduce clutter.

I'm also on this voyage and can fill in a couple of blanks. I'm limited by my iPad and my $355 "free unlimited" internet connection, however.

Someone mentioned a small M&M. Thats probably because at least one of us didn't receive any notice of a meeting. Regarding capacity, I was told that there are 450 pax this voyage, 50 empty rooms.

Our dock location in Hamilton was wonderful. I felt pretty smug as we sailed past the bulky Norwegian Epic parked miles from town. It was exciting to see all the activity at the Dockyard regarding Team USA Oracle. I have a wonderful photo of Team France out for practice as we sailed away, except I dont know how to upload it from my iPad. If anyone is interested, I could email it to someone for posting.

The captain changed course, so we're going to miss our stop at Horta unfortunately. All of us are pretty accustomed to the rocking and rolling at this point, however, so Im not sure if its bot too little, too late.

Anyone else using an Apple Watch or iPad or iPhone on this cruise? Weve had several official time chenges as we cross the Atlantic according to the ship, but my iOS devices think Im still in the Eastern Time Zone. Im sure that this will clear up instantly once we grt on land, but until this happens, does anyone have a solution?

EnglishUsa, David do you have an IPad? If yes, will send you step by step instructions. If not, Terry from Ohio one of CC's best photo posters, am sure Terry will chime in and explain how to post pix from a third party site like smugmug or photobuckette. However, then again, you are an Auburn fan who may have a hard time understanding simple instructions. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone else using an Apple Watch or iPad or iPhone on this cruise? Weve had several official time chenges as we cross the Atlantic according to the ship, but my iOS devices think Im still in the Eastern Time Zone. Im sure that this will clear up instantly once we grt on land, but until this happens, does anyone have a solution?

On the IPad got to Settings, General, scroll down to Date & Time and set the time zone manually.

On the IPad got to Settings, General, scroll down to Date & Time and set the time zone manually.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, trying on both iPhone and iPad using manual setting, there is no option for an Atlantic zone other than Hamilton. I even re-booted both devices thinking more zone options might appear, but no luck, even connected to Cellular at Sea for a few moments. Can't believe Apple has let me down. :loudcry:

Thanks for the suggestion. However, trying on both iPhone and iPad using manual setting, there is no option for an Atlantic zone other than Hamilton. I even re-booted both devices thinking more zone options might appear, but no luck, even connected to Cellular at Sea for a few moments. Can't believe Apple has let me down. :loudcry:

Apple hasn't let you down, you just need a little technical and geographical know how.

Because we are on a satellite wifi connection, all your devices think they're still in the USA where the ISP is. Ditto cellular at sea is also satellite, I'm not sure where this service is based but it definitely can't use the usual location service like a land based cell net.

Find out what time it is - your butler should have reset your clock plus it's on the TV on the navigation channel 2 - and after going into settings to set the time manually, try a few place names in the same rough geographical area. For instance, I currently have my iPad set for Praia, Cape Verde which is in the correct time zone. After the time change tonight - the last till Lisbon, thank goodness - you will be able to try Ponto Delgado, or even Lisbon.

Apple hasn't let you down, you just need a little technical and geographical know how.

So true! Thanks so much for your detailed explanation, Jolly. All of my Apple toys are now showing the same time as the ship.

Correction to my previous post - looks like there's yet another time change between Ponta Delgado and Lisbon. That's the big downside to west-east crossings, all the 23 hour days!

At least, since we've rerouted a little further south, the seas have settled, it's partly sunny, and very pleasant on deck. Shame we had to miss Horta, but we really needed to get out of the rough seas yesterday. Moss was struggling since he had to cancel events, it wasn't safe.