LIVE Spirit from Ft Lauderdale to Lisbon March 31 2017

spinnaker2

One Day.

Yes just one, and it's half way gone.

Last minute stuff is happening at mi casa. Yesterday we were so stressed out we decided maybe we are too old to travel!

But that was yesterday! And today dawned glittering with expectations of the Spirit!

No, no, don't give up cruising! All pre-travel chores are always painful, you are not alone there. But the feeling of excitement you are experiencing now is, as AMEX would say, priceless...

That's MasterCard. Amex parts a price on everything.

On board the Spirit the last 21 days and enroute to FLL. The crew was wonderful as always. There are some changes that really disappointed us. Not going to elaborate

as Spins will judge for herself.

The Observation Club has been busy on every night it seem with the room completely occupied. They have also had some group gatherings and one birthday soiree in the space.

Seishin.....the dinner menu is way too much food. Lunch is free and you can pick and choose.

Stars: totally worth more then one visit. Because you have multiple small bite courses, there is always something to enjoy or you can substitute. Chantelle and Ester are very talented.

La Champagne: Same menu and delightful

LaTerrazza lunch buffet has been quite good. I do room service breakfast so I can't help you out there.

Enjoy your time on board Spins. I think there might even be wine left :) Silversea does have the best priced wine/champagne for purchase then any other line I've been on.

This is a great thread:D I am sailing Spirit in August and looking to book Stars so I am glad you enjoyed it.:D

First time on Silverseas for me........at least this weekend I can say I am a month closer to sailing;)

Hahaha...on the last cruises I took, they were made with "minced" onion. So basically minuscule onion bits shaped into a ring of bread crumbs. DH was so disappointed, he loved the onion rings at the grill before they were minced...

The sweet potato fries, however, are yummy. Hope they are still made at the pool grill.

Re Stars, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would since I'm not big on evening entertainment. But the food was interesting and good, and the jazz pianist/singer was very good but not intrusive. Venue was small and intimate. I ended up going twice and will try to go at least once during this trip. Seishin is definitely worth it to me for at least one dinner. But better than dinner is that you can go there for lunch for free and have the same sushi etc. as served in the evening. I went 3 or 4 times for lunch, and it was never full.

On board the Spirit the last 21 days and enroute to FLL. The crew was wonderful as always. Seishin.....the dinner menu is way too much food. Lunch is free and you can pick and choose. Stars: totally worth more then one visit. Because you have multiple small bite courses, there is always something to enjoy or you can substitute. Chantelle and Ester are very talented. La Champagne: Same menu and delightful. LaTerrazza lunch buffet has been quite good. I do room service breakfast so I can't help you out there. Enjoy your time on board Spins. I think there might even be wine left Silversea does have the best priced wine/champagne for purchase then any other line I've been on. .

This is a great thread. I am sailing Spirit in August and looking to book Stars so I am glad you enjoyed it. First time on Silverseas for me........at least this weekend I can say I am a month closer to sailing

YES!! Lois is 100% totally correct that . . . this is a great thread. Appreciate these super great comments, details and follow-ups from KaraokeQueen and Marilyn. Very helpful and interesting for any and all of us preparing for an upcoming sailing on the Silver Spirit. The reporting by KaraokeQueen from her three weeks on this ship is incredibly specific and so beneficial. Keep it coming!!

Glad for Spins that Friday is nearly here. Clearly the "pressure is on" with so much interest for her trans-Atlantic sailing. Hopefully things work well on this ship for the Internet, uploading pictures, etc. If needed, feel free to e-mail to me any pictures and I will be happy to post here.

Look forward to testing the onion rings on this ship. As I re-call from last year and 2015 on the Silver Cloud, the rings were very good at that time.

Since Spins does not do trivia, she has much more time to be researching, reporting and sharing visuals for all of us who are hanging on every details she shares.. Enjoy your sail-away tomorrow.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 223,205 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

That's the spirit, Spins on Spirit! The storms would only be an adventure. Also disappointed about the onion rings, I would eat mine and DH's, who only likes onions when caramelized. Just saw in weather.com that thunderstorms are predicted for tomorrow and temps at 59F, but no big storms. Here's wishing you some sun!!

Wishing everyone a wonderful TA! John and I will doing our very first SS at the end of April on the Spirit, so we'll be hanging on every word! Sorry to hear about the onion rings, but hey, if that's the worst of it, I think I can deal! (giggle!)

Fair winds and following seas to all of you on the TA!

Spins - Why don't you think about special ordering real onion rings. I'm sure with a day's notice they would accommodate the request since there is no doubt they have onions on board. It would probably be handled the same as any other special order. Maybe SS would get the idea that people really prefer an onion ring.

In any event, have a wonderful trip. Ignore the weather and say hi to everyone for us.

Thanks all for good wishes.

Almost ready to go ;-).

Emtbsam we did get an order of real onion rings a few times when we dined en suite and once at hot rocks.

I think we have discussed the onion issue with powers that be.

We will pass along your regards.

Spins - Why don't you think about special ordering real onion rings. In any event, have a wonderful trip. Ignore the weather and say hi to everyone for us.

Appreciate these options and potentials in the "Great Onion Ring" mystery. Yes, it will be good to ignore the weather, but as the below weather radar view from a few minutes ago reflects, a big, BIG storm is coming your way. Good luck for your sail-away.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 66,799 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From this morning at AccuWeather, here is the radar look for south Florida. Ouch!! Big storm coming!! Good luck.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-31%20at%209.59.44%20AM_zpsdbnoqm22.png

Yes, we are watching and getting ready for the Silver Spirit sail-away. Just found the live cam view of this ship at the Port Everglades docking location. Too bad that Silversea does not have a live bridge cam on its ships. That's a nice tool and/or toy with which to follow along on these adventures. Safe sailings for Spins, etc.!!

For Athens and nearby, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples from this city that is so great for seeing its great history, style and architecture. This posting is now at 16,603 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Here is the live view from the Port Everglades webcam that shows the Silver Spirit being made ready for the sail-away later this afternoon.:

MarTravel2017BB%20145_zpsy5knk0pc.jpg

From this morning at AccuWeather, here is the radar look for south Florida. Ouch!! Big storm coming!! Good luck.

They are going to want to get ahead of that mess. Reminds me of a scene from the movie "Open Range" when Percy describes an impending storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are going to want to get ahead of that mess. Reminds me of a scene from the movie "Open Range" when Percy describes an impending storm.

Just checked a Fort Lauderdale beach webcam and the palm trees were being pushed around big-time by the high winds down there right now. The sky looks fairly dark and threatening on another port cam showing the Silver Spirit. But, they are still two hours away from the sail-away time.

Here is the link if you want to see the Silver Spirit and condition there now near the FLL airport. Good luck to Spins and all on this ship preparing to depart.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 176,024 views for this posting.

YES!! The great Trans-Atlantic Adventure has commenced. Below are five pictures as the Silver Spirit was getting ready to depart, then the ship moving away from the port and then the sail out from Fort Lauderdale's Port Everglades. Was Candy up on top and waving to us?

Fun and interesting to watch from the live webcam at this port. The other passenger ship shown is from Seabourn and it will depart at 7 pm EDT.

Fun and best wishes to all onboard the Silver Spirit. Looking forward to the reports from Spins and others on this ship.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my highly-detailed live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 30,856 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

MarTravel2017BB%20161_zpshphghjbf.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20162_zpsjrxbb7ak.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20163_zpsyxd23efr.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20164_zpsvrm1gbnq.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20165_zpszjv4bqid.jpg

OOOOO!!! thank you for the wonderful pictures! Loved them! Maybe I can hear the engines turning if I hold my Silver SilverSea ticket box next to my ear!!!

Appreciate this great comment and follow-up about those "ENGINES TURNING". Cute! About an hour after the Silver Spirit did its sail-away, the Seabourn Quest followed our Silversea ship in going on a Europe-bound path.

While also going to Europe, this 450-passenger ship is, however, doing nine straight sea-days before reaching Madeira, then this Seabourn ship goes to Tangier/Morocco and Malaga/Spain before arriving on Saturday, Apr 15, in Barcelona. Much prefer the schedule/stops being done by Spins and those on the Silver Spirit.

Super loved so different many parts of the Caribbean in 2015!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at the link of "Barbados: Our Pix's, Experiences!":

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262999

Here is the Seabourn Quest following the Silver Spirit and departing from Fort Lauderdale this evening on the way to Europe.:

MarTravel2017BB%20166_zpsl7isiiia.jpg

Smooth sailing so far - sky is blue, sea is calm, sun is warm.

Dined with Spins and her DH last night outside at Terrazza, after a smallish M&M hosted by Barrie, the excellent cruise consultant.

Mino Portillo Captain, Moss CD, Flavio HD, Laurel Corona lecturer - that's as far as I've found out; way too many glasses of prosecco consumed yesterday so I'm not firing on all cylinders yet. (And prosecco by choice, I prefer it to champagne) Not so many familiar faces among the pax, unusual for a crossing.

And, as for the promise of free unlimited internet - well, that was half right and I'm sure you can guess which half was wrong.

The system seems to have been having some teething troubles but it was OK as of very late last night. The choices are free 60 mins per day (and it is per day, can't roll unused minutes over) or regular unlimited connection (I'm getting about 0.36mbs today) or premium unlimited connection, supposedly fast enough to stream video.

There's different fees for per voyage packages or per day packages - I think it was $25 for a day of regular but I chose to take the full voyage for $244 which is just under $19 a day I think - altho' I'm doing the B2B for 22 days I expect this package is just for the first 13 day leg - the system is a bit sparing on the information it gives you. Particularly annoying is that there isn't a countdown clock for the free 60 min option - you can only see how much you've used after you've logged off. And if you lose the log off screen, the instructions given to get you back there don't - you have to type in 10.0.2.14 to get there.

It's only one device at a time per package, and I haven't yet checked what the handoff between devices is like, but the free and paid packages seem to be separate enough that I had my laptop on the unlimited package and my iPad on the free package last night - the trick will be to try and reverse that today!

Smooth sailing so far - sky is blue, sea is calm, sun is warm. Dined with Spins and her DH last night outside at Terrazza. Mino Portillo Captain, Moss CD, Flavio HD, Laurel Corona lecturer. And, as for the promise of free unlimited internet - well, that was half right and I'm sure you can guess which half was wrong. the system is a bit sparing on the information it gives you. Particularly annoying is that there isn't a countdown clock for the free 60 min option - you can only see how much you've used after you've logged off. but the free and paid packages seem to be separate enough that I had my laptop on the unlimited package and my iPad on the free package last night - the trick will be to try and reverse that today!

WOW!! Appreciate these great details from jollyjones. It's like having an experienced wire service reporter right there on the ship sharing so many important details. The best news? Smooth sailing, calm seas, sun, blue skies, etc. Look forward to hearing from Spins and any others on the Silver Spirit. Hint! Hint!

You mentioned ship lecturer Dr. Laurel Corona. She was on our Amazon River cruise two years ago on the Silver Cloud. Really enjoyed her excellent programs, talking with her, etc. Below is a picture for those who had not had an opportunity to benefit from her charm and expertise.

Keep it coming!! Loving these many excellent details!

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

For those who have not experienced ship lecturer Dr. Laurel Corona, here is one of my pictures of her in "action" two years ago in sailing the Amazon River. She does a great job! Very interesting and informed!.:

MarTravel2017BB%20186_zpsdzxss4qq.jpg

Morning from me!

Terry actually we are in one of the pictures. We are on deck 11, port side last suite. We were waving! We avoided the storm too.

DD and her friend were aboard until 4:30. We had such fun, lunch in the dining room after looking at buffet in La Terrazza, which was missing the cheese assortment( due to USPH regs, will be back today). I had my first drink of champagne, Pommery, around 1. There was a bottle of pink bubbly chilling in our suite...did not partake, it's in the frig. We gave the bottle of Dom to our DD to take home.

Onion rings are MINCED. Yucky. They did serve chili dusted onion strings on the nibbles platter at lunch, those were good.

Nice to see JJ and David too. Many hugs from crew we know and lots of new faces.

Today is a new beautiful day aboard the shining Spirit.