LGA to Manhattan

Port of Tampa

Hello looking for recommendations to get two people with roll board suitcases from LGA to Hampton Inn Times Square South on 31 Aug 17 in the early evening and then back from the Carnival cruise terminal to LGA on 2 Sep 17 late morning/early afternoon. Also any recommended restaurants and sight seeing to do 31 Aug-2 Sep would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Transportation options in NYC area have been discussed in literally dozens of threads (In the last year alone). Just scroll down and you can find the answer easy. Things to do...there are a million, it just all depends on what your interests are. Going out to Citi field and watching the Mets interests me, but might hold no interest to you whatsoever. for example

As far as travel between LGA and Manhattan in either direction is concerned, I recommend reserving a car with either of two large car services, Dial 7 or Carmel Limo. Normally I would also include the option of a metered (yellow) NY City taxi, but due to construction at LGA that at times causes substantial delays, use of a car service is preferable as you are charged an agreed-upon flat rate (plus tolls and tips), while a taxi's meter will be rolling up the fare as it sits stuck in traffic. Be sure to reserve your return flight departing LGA late enough to allow for ample travel time from the cruise pier to the airport because of the construction delays, as well as additional traffic caused by the US Open tennis tournament being played nearby. (By the way, I'm assuming your return flight is on Sept 9, not Sept. 2. based on other information in your post.)

I haven't eaten dinner in Manhattan recently enough to have any confidence in recommending a particular restaurant. Any types of food you're particularly fond of or interested in trying? As far as sightseeing is concerned what do you like? Museums? Historical sites? Have you been to NY at all, or at least recently? There are so many things to see and do that you really have to do some narrowing down of possibilities.

Thanks for the info we will definitely reserve a car service. As far as sight seeing we are frugal so what ever we can walk to and see for free is priority. Food we love Thai, seafood, pizza all with a healthy slant. Any recommended roof top bars far a good drink?

Airport bus to Port Authority bus terminal could also be an option for you. $15/pp one way and $24 round trip. https://www.nycairporter.com/schedule/portauthoritytolaguardia/

This would put you about 4 blocks from your hotel and would be an option to get back to LGA after your cruise,

Great thank you and that is inline with our frugal ways and we do not mind walking....just as long as we don't get mugged (just kidding).

Thanks for the info we will definitely reserve a car service. As far as sight seeing we are frugal so what ever we can walk to and see for free is priority. Food we love Thai, seafood, pizza all with a healthy slant. Any recommended roof top bars far a good drink?

The biggest bargain in New York Staten Island Ferry which goes very close to Statue of Liberty-- Free! 9/11 Memorial and Occulus Transportation Center, St Paul's Church, all free! Central Park Free! Rockefeller Center and St Patrick's Cathedral Free! Metropolitan Museum of Art donation pay what you can afford. New York Public Library Free! Times Square Free! TKTS booth in Times Square offers 50% off same day show tickets.

Roof top bars you are going to have a heart attack at the prices compared to home. Simple glass of wine $12-$15!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NYC resident here. I recommend the following as frugal options for food and sightseeing:

Thai food: Yum Yum Too at 46th & 9th

Convenient food options: food court in the Whole Foods at the Time Warner Center, Todd English food court in the basement of the Plaza Hotel

Brunch: the cafe on the 2nd floor of Fairway at 74th & Broadway

Pricier brunch: Robert at Columbus Circle - has an amazing view of Central Park

Free (or low cost) activities: walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, renting CitiBikes to tour the city, walking along the High Line, walking along the Hudson River Greenway.

Upvote for the Staten Island Ferry and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Also try some of the less populated museums such as the Frick Collection or the Morgan Library. I advise visiting cathedrals further from midtown such as Riverside Cathedral or St John The Divine.

If you choose to visit TKTS, better deals are to be had on plays. Just saw an amazing production of The Glass Menagerie. I often use an iPhone app called TodayTix, which lets you order the tickets on your smartphone and a TodayTix rep hand delivers your tickets to you at the theatre before the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We normally use either taxi or Uber to get around NYC, I lived there for decades now visit every year, planning on eating at our favorite place Becco's on restaurant row several times in May (row is on 46th between 8th and 9th, close to dock) loads of interesting places, I asked for other places a couple of weeks ago http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2460414

get a reservation about a month before for Becco it has great food at a reasonable price, also huge wine list at 31 dollars ( a bottle)