Everything.. Norwegian BLISS! - launch April 2018 -

Hello to all.

First post today. We'll be traveling on the 5/10/18 Panama canal cruise. Can't wait to go!

We're coming into MIA from LAX on the the 8th for a couple days before.

Is there still room for the pre cruise meet?

Thanks again!

Hello to all.

First post today. We'll be traveling on the 5/10/18 Panama canal cruise. Can't wait to go!

We're coming into MIA from LAX on the the 8th for a couple days before.

Is there still room for the pre cruise meet?

Thanks again!

This is a general thread - focused on the build and launch of the Bliss. So most on this thread are not going to know [emoji6]

There is a Roll Call for your sailing - they may be planning events! Here is the link if you want to join in with them.

May 10, 2018 - NORWEGIAN BLISS ROLL CALL - First Panama Canal Cruise - Miami to LAX

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2442447https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2442447

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

A bit of a technical question here....Wherever I look for facts statistics, we find beam,lenght, draft, etc...but nothing about HEIGHT. Does anybody knows BLISS's height from waterline up? A ''similar'' structure, Regal Princess, is listed at 217' on Princess Cruises own facts sheet. I'm sure height has/had something to do with the original Coastal Cruise arriving Vancouver 30thMay and departing South again at....1;30 AM !! 31st May....being cancelled with nothing replacing it ...until arrival Seattle 2nd June for her first Alaska voyage. I also suggest the 30th September VANCOUVER- LosAngeles would perhaps suffer the same fate. Anything over 201' height does NOT clear LionsGate bridge at the entrance of Burrard Inlet and the Port of Vancouver. Thanks

Cheers

Claude

If Bliss can not fit under the lions gate bridge. Then NCL will also have to cancel the Panama Canal cruises as the bridge of the Americas has the same clearance of 201 as the lions gate bridge. All ships using both the old and new canals pass under this bridge to get to the pacific. Princess has a cruise on Royal Princess (sister to Regal) in 2019 that departs LA and arrives in to Vancouver. Bliss may fit otherwise it has a long trip around the horn to get to the west coast

Edited by sergeant655

Hi,

A bit of a technical question here....Wherever I look for facts statistics, we find beam,lenght, draft, etc...but nothing about HEIGHT. Does anybody knows BLISS's height from waterline up? A ''similar'' structure, Regal Princess, is listed at 217' on Princess Cruises own facts sheet. I'm sure height has/had something to do with the original Coastal Cruise arriving Vancouver 30thMay and departing South again at....1;30 AM !! 31st May....being cancelled with nothing replacing it ...until arrival Seattle 2nd June for her first Alaska voyage. I also suggest the 30th September VANCOUVER- LosAngeles would perhaps suffer the same fate. Anything over 201' height does NOT clear LionsGate bridge at the entrance of Burrard Inlet and the Port of Vancouver. Thanks

Cheers

Claude

The Bliss arrives and leaves Vancouver on the lowest tides of the month of September 2018. I looked it up. NCL would not have scheduled it if the ship wouldn’t have fit with the tide conditions.

The Bliss arrives and leaves Vancouver on the lowest tides of the month of September 2018. I looked it up. NCL would not have scheduled it if the ship wouldn’t have fit with the tide conditions.

I read this part of the discussion with interest albeit it doesn't directly effect our current Cruise plans. The nearest cruise port to our home address is in a place called Avonmouth in England. The tide is highly relevant to sailings in and out of that port, not because of a bridge but because of water depth. I guess NCL will do as they do in Avonmouth by adjusting the time of its arrivals and departures to safely clear the bridge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If Bliss can not fit under the lions gate bridge. Then NCL will also have to cancel the Panama Canal cruises as the bridge of the Americas has the same clearance of 201 as the lions gate bridge. All ships using both the old and new canals pass under this bridge to get to the pacific. Princess has a cruise on Royal Princess (sister to Regal) in 2019 that departs LA and arrives in to Vancouver. Bliss may fit otherwise it has a long trip around the horn to get to the west coast

Thanks for your comments. I would however be surprised if mast retraction alone would add 16' of clearance ....Celebrity's SOLSTICE relied on mast retraction to clear the bridge on her first presence in the Alaska market 5 years ago; we saw it ''retracted'' while in port.and ''being retracted'' overnight from her last call. Seems to me that manoeuvre provided,at best ~~ 7-8' additionnal top space. I might be wrong. Mind you, she only needed ~~ 5' +/- additionnal clearance.,at normal slack tide., Will be interesting to watch future ''changes'' as NCL already cancelled the spring'18 Vancouver foray.

BLISS's current deployment shows arrival ex-transit 25may LosAngeles, and and arrival Seattle 2nd May....nothing in between.,Our own PortMetroVancouver advance docking schedule do NOT show Bliss late April/early May ....nor do they show the Septembeer dockings. Cheers

Many overall heights are inclusive of mast heights. Many large ships rely on mast retraction design for these reasons.

Thank you. You are of course correct; all stats are ''min/max''' and a vessel with a 217' height,for exemple, include the mast and funnels heights.

I however doubt mast retraction alone would clear up to 17-18' of additionnal clearance. When Celebrity Solstice was deployed to the Alaska market 5 years ago,she of course had to start and finish in Vancouver before moving down to Seattle for her seasonnal sailings. She only needed ~~ 5-6' additionnal clearance (per Celebrity's techical facts sheets). We witnessed both the ''mast down'' while in port, and mast retraction,performed overnight prior to docking. Seems to me 7-8' additionnal clearance was acheived.

My opinion only. I could be wrong.

Cheers

Claude