Room Advice Needed

MsSoCalCruiser

We are looking at a few different cruises and are wondering if the very last room on the aloha deck (A744) would be a good choice for an inside cabin. There is a cabin available 3 doors north but that is a quad room. So I guess the big question is, would you rather have the very last room closest to the door to the outside or take your chances on hitting your shoulder on the beds that sticks out of the wall?

Thanks so much :)

We always try to book the last cabin at the back on Aloha on the Sun (A738) as we enjoy the proximity to the outside and there is nobody on one side of us. Haven't had any problems with the door banging either. Don't know what ship you are on but being near the back deck is a big plus for us. We also had the last cabin on Riveria (R745) on the Emerald beside the door to the aft pool.

Anne

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

I would never book a quad cabin. Being near the outside door is not a problem. We did 17 days on Coral in an aft-facing OV that was just steps from the outside door and the aft viewing area on Baja. Great location. We also stayed in a window mini suite on Island that was all the way forward on Caribe. Outside observation deck was only steps away. Again, not a problem at all.

We stayed in A744 on the Grand Princess last year. Loved the location, very convenient to Horizen Court, adult pool, and a bar. The only (very slight) negative for us; every morning, about 6, they set up some table and chairs. I can't remember if there were lounge chairs too, I think so. You can hear them dragging them into position. This only lasted about 5 minutes because the area isn't that large. I'm usually up then anyway, but it might disturb some people if they like to sleep later. I'm going on the Grand again in September and chose A736, two cabins forward from A744. Cabins further than that hold more than 2 people and I didn't want to deal with shoulder/head injuries from the bunks lol. I'll see if A736 eliminates the early morning noise. I can't be sure just looking at the deck plans. No big deal though, the convenience of the area is worth a few minutes of noise. Hope this helps you.

As mentioned by the previous posters, it is a great location. If I am in an inside cabin, the last place I want to be is in the middle of a deck with all cabins, no public spaces, and no outside access. It's great to be able to leave your cabin and be outside quickly.

However, there is one issue that may or may not be a problem for you. An aft cabin on a high deck will have a lot more movement than a midship cabin or one on a lower deck. If you have a problem with motion sickness, that could be a problem. If not, then I agree that this is the best location for an inside.

We're booked into A742 on the Grand soon to Hawaii. I picked this balcony cabin a year ago because it's the last cabin on the ship, should be quiet, and close to the outside, pool and HC. Hopefully movement won't be too bad, we were on the Coral last year on Aloha deck near the stern and there were a couple of rough sea days but we had no problems with motion sickness.

Actually, I enjoyed the movement, felt like we were on a ship, not in a hotel!

I don't know if I'd feel the same way in an inside cabin though....

So I guess the big question is, would you rather have the very last room closest to the door to the outside or take your chances on hitting your shoulder on the beds that sticks out of the wall?

Thanks so much :)

I will take the very last room.

Several years ago I had R749 on the Emerald (I think it was the Emerald), one of the aft facing porthole cabins, which is the closest to the door going outside, and that door DID slam at the tail end of the closure. I notified the PSD and the automatic closer was adjusted the same day to stop that.

In the very early morning I could hear the thumps and bumps from the deck crew putting out the lounges directly above my cabin ceiling!! Nothing could be done about that, of course, but fortunately I am normally an early riser so it wasn't that big a deal for me.

But, if I were to book one of those aft facing porthole cabins again, I would choose the cabin next door to that one just to not be immediately beside the door, and also because there would be no early AM crew noise above me.

We always try to book the last cabin at the back on Aloha on the Sun (A738) as we enjoy the proximity to the outside and there is nobody on one side of us. Haven't had any problems with the door banging either. Don't know what ship you are on but being near the back deck is a big plus for us. We also had the last cabin on Riveria (R745) on the Emerald beside the door to the aft pool.

Anne

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

Nice to hear that you have not had any problems with the door banging. I have stayed in that area before but never so close to the door.

That's the area we always book...so convenient.

As for the quad cabins, unless you are 4 feet tall or less...avoid like the Noro virus. You WILL hit your head, shoulder or back guaranteed.

I will make sure that we do not book a quad cabin because if it can happen, it will happen to me.

I would never book a quad cabin. Being near the outside door is not a problem. We did 17 days on Coral in an aft-facing OV that was just steps from the outside door and the aft viewing area on Baja. Great location. We also stayed in a window mini suite on Island that was all the way forward on Caribe. Outside observation deck was only steps away. Again, not a problem at all.

I also love that area. It sounds even better now that no one seems to be bothered by the outside door. I really want to book it.

We stayed in A744 on the Grand Princess last year. Loved the location, very convenient to Horizen Court, adult pool, and a bar. The only (very slight) negative for us; every morning, about 6, they set up some table and chairs. I can't remember if there were lounge chairs too, I think so. You can hear them dragging them into position. This only lasted about 5 minutes because the area isn't that large. I'm usually up then anyway, but it might disturb some people if they like to sleep later. I'm going on the Grand again in September and chose A736, two cabins forward from A744. Cabins further than that hold more than 2 people and I didn't want to deal with shoulder/head injuries from the bunks lol. I'll see if A736 eliminates the early morning noise. I can't be sure just looking at the deck plans. No big deal though, the convenience of the area is worth a few minutes of noise. Hope this helps you.

Two cabins forward is where we really wanted to be but those were sold. Hopefully we will not hear the chairs dragging around. I sleep pretty deep but my friend, not so much. Please let me know how this works out for you.

As mentioned by the previous posters, it is a great location. If I am in an inside cabin, the last place I want to be is in the middle of a deck with all cabins, no public spaces, and no outside access. It's great to be able to leave your cabin and be outside quickly.

However, there is one issue that may or may not be a problem for you. An aft cabin on a high deck will have a lot more movement than a midship cabin or one on a lower deck. If you have a problem with motion sickness, that could be a problem. If not, then I agree that this is the best location for an inside.

We actually stayed in this area once before but not so close to the door. I hate to say it but this was one of the few times that I got sick. I was fine until I heard the guy next-door get sick. :eek:

We're booked into A742 on the Grand soon to Hawaii. I picked this balcony cabin a year ago because it's the last cabin on the ship, should be quiet, and close to the outside, pool and HC. Hopefully movement won't be too bad, we were on the Coral last year on Aloha deck near the stern and there were a couple of rough sea days but we had no problems with motion sickness.

Actually, I enjoyed the movement, felt like we were on a ship, not in a hotel!

I don't know if I'd feel the same way in an inside cabin though....

That sounds like a perfect location for your cruise to Hawaii! Enjoy!

Several years ago I had R749 on the Emerald (I think it was the Emerald), one of the aft facing porthole cabins, which is the closest to the door going outside, and that door DID slam at the tail end of the closure. I notified the PSD and the automatic closer was adjusted the same day to stop that.

In the very early morning I could hear the thumps and bumps from the deck crew putting out the lounges directly above my cabin ceiling!! Nothing could be done about that, of course, but fortunately I am normally an early riser so it wasn't that big a deal for me.

But, if I were to book one of those aft facing porthole cabins again, I would choose the cabin next door to that one just to not be immediately beside the door, and also because there would be no early AM crew noise above me.

Thank you for sharing about the automatic closer. If we have this problem, I will make sure to call someone. I'm not an early riser if I don't have to get up for the office so hopefully this won't be a problem.

We are booked on the T/A on the Caribbean Princess and actually was able to book the same cabin we had on that ship in the Caribbean...GREAT cabin...aft...Rivera Deck 14...R746...the balcony jets out and is secluded and covered...I had mentioned to hubby this would be a great cabin (and it is larger than regular balcony cabins) for a T/A only the closet area is a bit smaller. So, I am "adjusting" my luggage a bit...not easy...at least for me...Yes, we did hear that door bang but I don't imagine it will be opening and closing that often when we do the T/A...I almost didn't get that cabin...had booked same deck, another cabin, that we also had stayed in..by the elevators...R 706...convenient too..The very aft is convenient to get early morning coffee...we are early risers and I don't like ordering room service...