It's been a little bit since last cruise so a few questions

It's been a few years since I have sailed RCI. I just want to make sure I am informed. Unfortunately, my daughter ruptured both of her Achilles and had surgery at the end of February. She was a competetive cheerleader and had to watch as the team had to replace her on the team. She is no longer going to be competing at Cheer Worlds in Disney at the end of April and trying out for college cheer is not possible right now either. We didn't want to take her spring break cruise away from her too. She will be in a wheelchair still at the time of the cruise but will be able to stand to move from chair to dining chair and loungers at the pool. They have no handicap rooms available so we are going to make the best of the trip with her two friends. I have never paid attention to accessible of areas on ships before as I have never needed to. We are sailing on the Freedom.

1. Is there areas by the pool to park wheelchairs to store while she is in a lounger? Any tips for areas on the ship that she will be restricted from?

2. Ports are Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Any suggestions are excursions? She is adventurous and had planned to rent a wave runner and paddleboard and such but those types of things are not possible.

3. Is the Mystery Dinner onboard worth the price?

4. If we have 3 cabins (her and I in one, 18 year old friend in another connected to ours, another friend and her mom in the 3 cabin) Can we be under one photo package?

5. If we prepay for a massage would the price be any cheaper onboard during a sale? This is something she has been waiting to do considering she has lived in a bed and wheelchair for the last month.

6. Any other suggestions to make this the best trip possible for my daughter's senior trip?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sharon

Kentucky

I would contact the special needs department and request a shower stool for her cabin. That way she is safe in the shower. My DH ruptured his quadricep in January and we just sailed in February but was in a full brace. We also were not able to get an accessible cabin since it was so close to sailing. The stool did fit in the small shower, though even with a request prior to the cruise, it was not in the cabin.

I bought an old fashion ice pack bag (the kind with the big screw in cap) and asked the cabin steward to bring lots of ice each day. These bags do not sweat like a ziploc would and allowed him to ice each day to keep swelling down.

You should be able to put a wheelchair beside her lounger or nearby with no problem. There are lifts that could get her into a hot tub or a pool.

Nachi Cocum is a beautiful beach day in Cozumel. They limit the numbers allowed so it is not crowded.

Good luck and I hope she is able to enjoy her senior trip.

It's been a few years since I have sailed RCI. I just want to make sure I am informed. Unfortunately, my daughter ruptured both of her Achilles and had surgery at the end of February. She was a competetive cheerleader and had to watch as the team had to replace her on the team. She is no longer going to be competing at Cheer Worlds in Disney at the end of April and trying out for college cheer is not possible right now either. We didn't want to take her spring break cruise away from her too. She will be in a wheelchair still at the time of the cruise but will be able to stand to move from chair to dining chair and loungers at the pool. They have no handicap rooms available so we are going to make the best of the trip with her two friends. I have never paid attention to accessible of areas on ships before as I have never needed to. We are sailing on the Freedom.

1. Is there areas by the pool to park wheelchairs to store while she is in a lounger? Any tips for areas on the ship that she will be restricted from?

2. Ports are Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Any suggestions are excursions? She is adventurous and had planned to rent a wave runner and paddleboard and such but those types of things are not possible.

3. Is the Mystery Dinner onboard worth the price?

4. If we have 3 cabins (her and I in one, 18 year old friend in another connected to ours, another friend and her mom in the 3 cabin) Can we be under one photo package?

5. If we prepay for a massage would the price be any cheaper onboard during a sale? This is something she has been waiting to do considering she has lived in a bed and wheelchair for the last month.

6. Any other suggestions to make this the best trip possible for my daughter's senior trip?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sharon

Kentucky

So sorry about your daughter's injury and subsequent surgery! She'll still have a grand time!

My DH and I have taken part of the Mystery Dinner quite a few times. It's all in good fun - just a hokey little show, not meant to be taken to seriously. Part of what makes it expensive is the free flowing wine during the meal. So at $65 a pop, I'd say it probably isn't something I'd spring for.

Grand Cayman is a tender port, so she will generally need to be able to take a few steps onto the tender (assuming you have a collapsible wheelchair. She may or may not be able to roll onto the tender. She might really like a stingray excursion, but many of the boats are hard to get on and off (chest-deep water). If you plan on doing this, research the company to see the type of water entry. Some are specially-designed for easy water entry. Check http://www.marinelandtours.com/

This is based on our experience with my father (in a wheelchair) on Explorer -

I'm not familiar with Freedom, but based on the Royal ships that we have been on, dining room tables can be so close together that it may be difficult (if not impossible) to maneuver a wheelchair between them. I suggest contacting RCCL Dining at rcldining@rccl.com to request a table near the MDR entrance for a wider isle, or a table that has a wider isle leading to it.

In Grand Cayman, we always enjoy the Turtle Farm. Assuming you can take the tender ashore, there may be an accessible tour to the Turtle Farm. Verify that the vehicle has a hydraulic wheelchair lift.

It may be easier to get an elevator (that will fit the wheelchair and your party) if you arrive early for meals and other activities that you are interested in.

We wouldn't normally suggest this, but since a wheelchair is involved you may need to hit the "up" AND "down" elevator buttons to get on. If you go against the flow of traffic, there should be more space to get on. Yes, you will need to go for a ride, but at least you will be on the elevator instead of constantly waiting for another elevator with enough space.

We suggest bringing a door stop (wedge) to hold the cabin door open while pushing the wheelchair in and out of the cabin. Your cabin steward might be able to provide you with one, but better safe than sorry. It can be difficult for a third person to hold the door open due to tight quarters. Just make sure to close the door behind you.

Make sure the brakes on both wheelchair wheels engage securely.

If someone is pushing the wheelchair, they shouldn't try to carry anything else with them. I tried to carry a folding walker (unsuccessfully) at the same time as pushing the wheelchair.

Make sure the foot rest on the wheelchair can be elevated to make it easier to navigate ramps (especially when boarding.)

Take advantage of the special needs line when boarding and at disembarkation (and at any other time you can.) Just go to the front of other lines. Most passengers will understand.

Hope this help. :)

Thanks so much o those of you who have offered suggestions and advice. This has been a real eye opener watching our daughter go from being a very competitive athlete to being wheelchair bound for over a month now with a 4-6 month recovery time. Good news is she will be able to stand and take a step or two while on the cruise which is better than the past month where she hasn't even been allowed to stand. When Achilles would have been so much eaiser they say because she would have one good leg and could get around with crutches, but NOPE our daughter found a way to rupture both. I have rented a motorize scooter for her while on the ship.

Sharon

Thanks so much o those of you who have offered suggestions and advice. This has been a real eye opener watching our daughter go from being a very competitive athlete to being wheelchair bound for over a month now with a 4-6 month recovery time. Good news is she will be able to stand and take a step or two while on the cruise which is better than the past month where she hasn't even been allowed to stand. When Achilles would have been so much eaiser they say because she would have one good leg and could get around with crutches, but NOPE our daughter found a way to rupture both. I have rented a motorize scooter for her while on the ship.

Sharon

Lots of people use the motorised scooters and they seem a great idea.

We brought my wife's mam on several cruises in a wheelchair and never had any problems as she could walk a little and on the tenders they helped her on and off.

love sailing with RCCL