Dress code on Muse?

travelingduo

Hi Ho, Silver. I see that exact situation quite often...tux to t✈️[emoji568] t-shirt! I don't like it but I guess we will have to adjust...SS does not"

That we will. Whatever and however it is, we will still have a great time in September. Looking forward to sailing with you again[emoji173][emoji76][emoji173]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the Muse in May and I spoke to SS in London this morning. As has already been said, I was told that La Dame and Atlantide will be formal every evening. I would have preferred the old system of a set number of formal nights per cruise as we enjoy the thrill of seeing fellow passengers in their finery on the formal evenings.

However we will comply with the new requirements and we will expect SS to strictly police the dress code in La Dame and Atlantide. If not, I will certainly make my feelings known.

It is interesting reading all the previous posts, and it would appear from these, that the earliest cruisers amongst you will not be on the Muse until May? Unless DT, I have misread your comment?!!

We will be embarking the Muse in thirteen days time for an eight night cruise. OurSilver Box quoted one formal night which is the norm, one formal night for a seven days cruise.

However, we have booked a different dining venue for each night, enabling us to sample each of the eight different restaurants.

It is our understanding that only 65% of the bookable dining venues, on all the other classic ships can be reserved in advance prior to sail date. This means that no dining venue can be booked out ahead of a cruise. If this is carried across to the Muse, there would be no restaurant that would be fully booked in advance of embarkation.

We are very surprised to learn that La Terrazza seems to have been downgraded even further, to casual! The only time we utilise this dress code is for Hot Rocks, and maybe now for the Spaccanapoli.

One can only hope that the Muse’s restaurant managers do not let the “jeans and tee shirt brigade” creep in, and that a certain standard of dress is adhered to in all the restaurants.

We will keep you posted.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

We are very surprised to learn that La Terrazza seems to have been downgraded even further, to casual! The only time we utilise this dress code is for Hot Rocks, and maybe now for the Spaccanapoli.

It's funny you mention this Echo as on the third night in La Terrazza (informal night) I was wearing a dark suit and tie (not my formal clothes) and the assistant Maitre D said to me pretty much the same as what you've said there and suggested I could take my jacket off if I wished. Looking around, there were people without jackets. In the MDR though they were pretty much adhering to the dress codes, but not fully. I did see one gentleman being given a jacket on one occasion to gain entry!

PS... looking forward to your views on the Muse and how the reservations work out and take on the new restaurants and of course the ship itself.

Really waiting to hear about this dress code. It sounds bizarre to me to have 2 restaurants that are permanently formal. Informal I could understand. I'm sure those on inaugural voyages will tell us what goes on and what the restaurants are like

Jane

This is what I received from my SS agent today:

On the Muse there will not be real formal nights, but rather the restaurant

the guests choose to dine in will have a dress code. Atlantis, Silver Note,

and La Dame are always formal. Kabuki, Indochine, La Terraza, and The Grill are always semi formal. Regina Margarita is always casual.

We think we like the 'traditional' dress codes, but will see when we sail on her later this year.

I'm not sure you have the correct information:confused:. There have been a couple of us that have been told that the only formal restaurants would be La Dame and Atlantide. Plus you have outdated names for some of the restaurants.

If it's on;y tw restaurants that have a formal dress code every night what does that do to the atmosphere on board the ship other than in the restaurants? The bars? Showroom etc? This guarantees a hodgepodge of attire every night and obviates imo the whole reason for a formal night. I foresee major changes to everything on the Muse within six months.

If it's on;y tw restaurants that have a formal dress code every night what does that do to the atmosphere on board the ship other than in the restaurants? The bars? Showroom etc? This guarantees a hodgepodge of attire every night and obviates imo the whole reason for a formal night. I foresee major changes to everything on the Muse within six months.

I agree and that seems quite different and opposite to Silversea's standard on other ships. No offense to those upthread who have tried to get information but this all seems so strange to me that I long time ago decided just to wait and see what actually happens on the Muse. Unfortunately the Muse itinerary we were interested in got modified by what probably is a charter or two so we've booked the Spirit for Rome to Dubai this November.

Some folks are boarding soon and making dinner reservations on line; hence the interest in getting a definitive answer prior to departure. It isn't just about the clothes, it is also planning when on your itinerary you want to be formal/informal/casual.

I just spoke to my SS agent who had a briefing this morning in Ft. Lauderdale on the Muse. As was mentioned earlier the restaurant, not the day, will determine the dress for the venue. She told me that SS had done extensive marketing research (they never asked me!) and found that most passengers wanted flexibility as to where to dine and how to dress. She said that they compare the new scheme to a fine resort where there are various dining venues and people dress accordingly but come together in the public areas regardless of dress. She indicated that a majority of passengers wanted more informal options and wanted to pack less clothes. She was told that though reservations are necessary, there will be some flexibility once on board as long as the passenger has some flexibility. The butlers will be able to assist you with these reservations. There are sure to be some glitches and it will take some adjustments, but the SS management believes this will work and passengers will be pleased after they get used to a new paradigm in dining.

The formal nights on the Muse will not be per date, they will be per venue.

Here is the breakdown:

La Terrazza – Casual

Kaiseki – Informal

La Dame – Formal

Atlantide – Formal

Hot Rocks – Casual

Spaccanapoli – Casual

Silver Note - Informal

Indochine – Informal

We'll see soon and report back!

Does anyone have a definitive answer on the dress code for the Muse? I thought by now Silversea would have put something out. I was told by my TA that there will be formal/informal/casual evenings, but there was a rumor that La Dame was going to be formal every night. All my TA could find was that the dress code will be the same for all SS ships. But none of the other ships has this dining arrangement. Just wondering......

The problem is that they seem to be sending out mixed messages, perhaps to try through opaqueness rather than clarity to attract as many "preferences" as possible. They are saying that dress code is venue based which will attract those that do not like being compelled to dress up whilst at trade events they are saying:

:Muckermann also ruled out Silversea moving to "country club casual" as a dress code, saying its passengers liked to dress up more than passengers on other luxury lines.

This might mean that one group of customers will hear from their TAs that dress code is whole ship based on nightly guidelines whereas another group will be told you wear what you want and choose your dining to suit. There seems ample scope here for mixed messages where Silversea get the buck but the odd passenger will not receive an ambiance they were expecting.

Thanks for the update Travelling Duo.An interesting new concept by SS but let's hope they enforce it better than they do on the current fleet where existing dress code is rarely properly adhered unless the maitre d is Antonio or Gilbert.

I've said this before but the whole concept of requiring different dress codes for different restaurants obviates the sole reason for a formal option. You are in the restaurant for tow hours during dinner. What happens the rest of the evening in all the bars, lounges, showrooms when formally dressed people mingle with informally dressed people? It will be a hodgepodge and destroy whatever formal atmosphere SS used to have. Another nail in the coffin of formal nights imo. Perhaps not such a bad thing.

Interesting photo on the SS Twitter page -- a ship's officer and 3 guests (male) dining in Muse's La Dam -- 2 of whom are wearing open collar shirts sans ties.

I thought this was one of the "always formal" venues?

Many people seem perfectly capable of having a great time, whatever they wear and without fretting about what everyone else is wearing elsewhere.

:)

+1. The formal days are waning on all cruise lines. Get used to it. The clothes do not make the person. Crystal, Regent and Seabourn have all gently relaxed their dress codes. SS seems more in line with the Grills on Cunard.

Younger people are now sailing and want luxury in a comfortable manner. Not talking jeans or ball caps...just relaxed and that is what they are paying for.

For the very first time a few months ago on Crystal we left our Tux's at home and wore sports jackets as many did. Even our country club does not require a tie anymore just a jacket. Cunard will probably continue in their stuffy ways however.

+1. The formal days are waning on all cruise lines. Get used to it. The clothes do not make the person. Crystal, Regent and Seabourn have all gently relaxed their dress codes. SS seems more in line with the Grills on Cunard.

Younger people are now sailing and want luxury in a comfortable manner. Not talking jeans or ball caps...just relaxed and that is what they are paying for.

For the very first time a few months ago on Crystal we left our Tux's at home and wore sports jackets as many did. Even our country club does not require a tie anymore just a jacket. Cunard will probably continue in their stuffy ways however.

I won't be concerned how people are dressed in different venues or by someone wearing an open necked shirt in a more formal venue. However........my husband and I are looking to try Silversea partly for different itineraries, but also because they are not going the way of Crystal and Seabourn who have changed their dress code and the lack of enforcement re ripped jeans or blue jeans in the MDR etc.

Why do some people seem to think it is okay to imply that if you like to have a more formal dress code you must be old, stuffy and boring? From reading your posts Suite, I am pretty sure we are of a similar age. Since my DH and I are of the go to bed late as we stay up to party and are up early to explore, I don't think we are boring.

I do try to stay out of dress code threads lately but I am tired of people implying that because people like myself like to dress up we are old and "stuffy".

Julie

Julie,

As you're open to debate ...... :)

I'm not speaking for anyone else, but I don't see it as people being old and stuffy. To me, in a time when we all have to get on with the close proximity of so many others in a world that is getting smaller, I can't find another word, but it seems to me to be rather selfish to tell everyone else on a ship that they are all ruining your time if they dress (within reason) how they want. It seems over the line of imposing on others. It seems nicer that those that want to dress up, congregate together and give the others a break and let them congregate elsewhere. Ships are big enough for both groups. We'll even let you lot choose the most elegant restaurant! :)

I know we won't agree, but this is simply an expression of an opposing view.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Julie,

As your open to debate ...... :)

I'm not speaking for anyone else, but I don't see it as people being old and stuffy. To me, in a time when we all have to get on with the close proximity of so many others in a world that is getting smaller, I can't find another word, but it seems to me to be rather selfish to tell everyone else on a ship that they are all ruining your time if they dress (within reason) how they want. It seems over the line of imposing on others. It seems nicer that those that want to dress up, congregate together and give the others a break and let them congregate elsewhere. Ships are big enough for both groups.

I know we won't agree, but this is simply an expression of an opposing view.

Actually in this case Jeff I think we are agreeing. As I stated, I have no issue with people dressed differently for the various venues then mingling later in the theatre and clubs. So to have different dining venues to allow those who want to dress up congregate together works for me.

It is the fact that certain people come onto these dress code threads and seem to think if you want to dress up, that you must be past it and not be modern or forward thinking that I take umbrage with. How is that for an old-fashioned term:)?

There are certain luxury & premium cruise lines I am not keen on how they do things. So I don't sail on them. I also don't go on their discussion boards and tell them to change things to suit me to entice me to sail on them. I feel that would be a little arrogant and a case of DYKWIA to do that.

But that's my opinion and knowing these boards there will be some who disagree me, and that is their right as well.

Julie

RCI tried a concept called Dynamic Dining, which flopped. It was essentially the same that SS is trying -- one restaurant (in the case of SS, 2) formal every night, and other restaurants requiring advance reservations (or not -- walk up and take your chances). It failed because people did not like losing the concept of ship-wide formal nights, and did not want to pre-plan every night's dinner.

I realize the demographics are different on the 2 lines, but are people really that different?