Using a debit card onboard Norwegian cruise ships

AlphaBobcat

Hi,

First of all, I am aware of all the potential issues when using a debit card to pay expenses onboard. However, since I am 17, I can't apply for a credit card due to laws in Quebec, Canada.

My first question is: Since I am 17, will I be able to set up my own onboard account with my own Mastercard debit card at the pier?

If not: Could I set up my own onboard account with cash? If so, is there a minimum amount for a 9-night cruise or can I add the amount I would like?

Thank you very much for your help,

Emerik

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. You can use cash. This was posted the other day with regards to minimums per day. I think a 7 day is $300 so a 9 is probably close to that. NCL will work with you though. I have personal experience. Also, please note that any remaining balance will be refunded to you by mail which takes several weeks.

Someone also suggested a prepaid MC or VISA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i assume you are traveling with an adult since you cant be in a stateroom alone at 17.

im not sure if they would allow you to set up your own account or not, given your age. best bet is to speak to your parents and tell them you want to be able to spend $200 (or whatever) on board for the week, give them the money, then you are good to go.

Don't just be aware of the warnings about debit cards -- heed those warnings. Avoid using a debit card.

You can set up a cash account on the ship (can't do this at the pier). There is no minimum, but you'll need to cover your service charges if they aren't pre-paid or covered by someone else. Otherwise, consider what you might charge and develop a budget, bring the cash, and drop it onto your account at Guest Services after you board.

Don't use the debit card.

Yes. You can use cash. This was posted the other day with regards to minimums per day. I think a 7 day is $300 so a 9 is probably close to that. NCL will work with you though. I have personal experience. Also, please note that any remaining balance will be refunded to you by mail which takes several weeks.

Someone also suggested a prepaid MC or VISA.

I just got off the Dawn on Sunday. I put down a $200 per person deposit in cash. There were three of us. Got back $546 in cash the morning of Leaving. You have a choice to get it back in cash if it's under like $800 I think or have it mailed.

I believe u can set up your own account. There is likely a min if you use cash. I think a debit card is also a valid option if you are fine with a possible hold on your account that could linger after you get back.

Ignore this - and take Triptolemus advice - do not use a debit card.

I just got off the Dawn on Sunday. I put down a $200 per person deposit in cash. There were three of us. Got back $546 in cash the morning of Leaving. You have a choice to get it back in cash if it's under like $800 I think or have it mailed.

I was told no cash. It was only $105

You can use a debit card. Just keep in mind that they will hold funds in that account and you can't control the amount of funds they hold or when those funds get released back to you. Think they typically start with a couple hundred and then as you start charging they will increase the holds.

This can cause an issue; if say your onboard bill is $500; they may end up holding $700+ over the course of the cruise. They will then charge your card for the $500 at the end and It's up to your bank when that $700 hold drops off and you have access to those funds again. This can cause people to get in trouble in terms of paying bills.

You can use cash, will just have to have sufficient funds for check in (which no one seems to be able to pinpoint), and your charging privileges will be shut off if you exceed that. If you end up exceeding it (say you have $50 left and take a $150 spa treatment; they wont usually charge your card to the end) you can be detained when you try to leave while they work out paying the bill.

An alternative arrangement you may be able to work out with a family member on the trip is they can always put their credit down for your account. You can pay the balance off at guest services as you go so their card doesn't end up getting charged.

You can use a debit card. Just keep in mind that they will hold funds in that account and you can't control the amount of funds they hold or when those funds get released back to you. Think they typically start with a couple hundred and then as you start charging they will increase the holds.

This can cause an issue; if say your onboard bill is $500; they may end up holding $700+ over the course of the cruise. They will then charge your card for the $500 at the end and It's up to your bank when that $700 hold drops off and you have access to those funds again. This can cause people to get in trouble in terms of paying bills.

You can use cash, will just have to have sufficient funds for check in (which no one seems to be able to pinpoint), and your charging privileges will be shut off if you exceed that. If you end up exceeding it (say you have $50 left and take a $150 spa treatment; they wont usually charge your card to the end) you can be detained when you try to leave while they work out paying the bill.

An alternative arrangement you may be able to work out with a family member on the trip is they can always put their credit down for your account. You can pay the balance off at guest services as you go so their card doesn't end up getting charged.

No this is totally misleading if you use a non us$ denominated card.

They charge multiple times with therefore multiple bank charges. The rate is appaling and typically funds can take in excess 20 days to be released from holds ( albeit that CC can be the same)

Cash is king with NCL for us

Thank you all for your help!

And yes, I subscribed to CC when I was only 14 years old.

I am sorry if my question was inappropriate, but I was asking it since I will not be traveling with my parents. I will be cruising with my aunt, my cousin and my grandfather and I don't want them to pay for my onboard expenses, considering they will probably decline if I try to refund them afterwards. I was just trying to find a way to be financially independent during the cruise.

Thank you,

Emerik

Thank you all for your help!

And yes, I subscribed to CC when I was only 14 years old.

I am sorry if my question was inappropriate, but I was asking it since I will not be traveling with my parents. I will be cruising with my aunt, my cousin and my grandfather and I don't want them to pay for my onboard expenses, considering they will probably decline if I try to refund them afterwards. I was just trying to find a way to be financially independent during the cruise.

Thank you,

Emerik

My family is the same way. Good for you, thinking like that! I think cash or prepaid card would be the way to go. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

My first question is: Since I am 17, will I be able to set up my own onboard account with my own Mastercard debit card at the pier?

If not: Could I set up my own onboard account with cash? If so, is there a minimum amount for a 9-night cruise or can I add the amount I would like?

NCL:

Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.

A cash deposit may be placed on your onboard account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300 USD per person

Less than 7 days - $150 USD per person

More than 7 days - $450 USD per person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess.

**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed on board.

No this is totally misleading if you use a non us$ denominated card.

They charge multiple times with therefore multiple bank charges. The rate is appaling and typically funds can take in excess 20 days to be released from holds ( albeit that CC can be the same)

Cash is king with NCL for us

This seems like it would apply to both debit and credit.

I was told no cash. It was only $105

We are on a 12 day and were told it's 450 pp cash if you don't have a credit card. We choose not to have credit cards. We are going to get a AAA debit to use on shore or shopping. Also they said they will put a hold on your debit and it can take 30 days at times to get it back. I prefer not using our debit from our bank outside of the country. Our first cruise, so this is all new.

NCL:

Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.

A cash deposit may be placed on your onboard account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300 USD per person

Less than 7 days - $150 USD per person

More than 7 days - $450 USD per person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess.

**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed on board.

This is true but they do not enforce those numbers. You can put down significantly less than $300 pp. My sister and brother in law only put down $300 total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk