Teachers or Parents of school aged kids...

momof4girls

That is SO true!

I'm not one to take my kids out of school for a cruise, but if I were, I'd do it during that last week of May. And I would be SHOCKED if your 6th graders has finals. Those are pretty much a thing of the past, even for high school.

I'm a high school teacher and final exams are NOT a thing of the past [emoji849]

My son is in 4th grade, and we are missing the last two days of the school year to go on a cruise. This is because we had two snow days. In my experience, in our K-5 school, the last week of school is just marking time. There are lots of fun things like end-of-the-year parties but no real learning. We find the teachers often take time off at the end of the year, and there are substitutes. Usually, they are there on the last day to say good-bye to everyone.

I would like to be able to talk to them except this cruise was a surprise from the very beginning. They don't know about the November plans so I wouldn't want to share about the move to May. I will use a visit to my sister in Biloxi as an idea though. ;) Accomplishes the same thing. 😊

Ahh... got it! Good luck!

Does your school do any send off for 5th graders at the end of school? Our 5th grade has a lot of activities the last couple days that they would have been bummed if they had missed. My kids are now in 6th and 3rd and I would have no issues with either date that you have suggested unless my middle school kiddo has finals (I am not sure if we do)! You can't go wrong with your choice!!!

Does your school do any send off for 5th graders at the end of school? Our 5th grade has a lot of activities the last couple days that they would have been bummed if they had missed.

Oh man...I completely forgot about these kinds of things! Maybe I should just leave things the way they are...

Oh man...I completely forgot about these kinds of things! Maybe I should just leave things the way they are...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, in my original reply when I said to ask the kids. But you could ask the teachers.

One will be finishing up 5th grade (so definitely nothing going on there) and one will be finishing up 6th grade. Do they have "finals" in 6th grade that last week? It's been so long since my older two were this age...

We've taken our girls out of school twice.

First time they were about your kids ages. Only issue we had was our school district only allowed Independent Study if they were gone 5 days. Had to add an extra day to their vacation.

The second time we took our youngest out of school weeks 2 & 3 of her Junior year to go to Rome. Principal was all for it, some teachers weren't too happy pulling together two weeks of work.

It depends on the student. We knew DD would have no issue doing her work on vacation.

Only a few issues-

-It was a bit difficult getting the Independent Study paperwork pushed through in time.

-She wasn't able to access the school homework site for one of her classes. Her teacher responded with some assignments.

Both times we copied and bound the assignment pages. School books are heavy and expensive to replace. Any handouts were also copied, originals left at home.

I'm another teacher and can honestly say that all we do those last few days is clean, watch movies, and do activities with our buddy classes. But check with your kids' teachers to make sure they won't have finals or anything due that week. If so, they might be able to take them early. [emoji2][emoji924][emoji924][emoji924]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're on a 15 night Panama Canal cruise next month with our 10 year old daughter who's in the 5th grade. The first week is Easter vacation but then she'll miss the next 7 days of school. Before we booked (Dec 2015) we checked in with her future teacher to see what she thought and gave us a resounding DO IT!!! Our daughter will need to do some work on the ship to keep up and her teacher has asked her to do a short report/presentation on what she experienced when we get back but we think it's worth it!

I say check with the teachers to see when your kids would be missing the least amount of "stuff" and go for it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is SO true!

I'm not one to take my kids out of school for a cruise, but if I were, I'd do it during that last week of May. And I would be SHOCKED if your 6th graders has finals. Those are pretty much a thing of the past, even for high school.

Really? Out HS definitely has finals! OP, one thing I'd check out is any end of year fun activities. However, I'd be fine taking them out either week.

Most schools quit taking grades 7-10 school days before the last day of school so that grades can be processed and decisions can be made on promotion. Ask a teacher that you have a good relationship with at the school and I am sure they will tell you.

I'm a teacher, and I do encourage my students' families to travel because travel makes education come alive through real experiences. The last week is an easy week to miss in terms of academics, BUT it's also when graduation occurs, whether your school does that for 5th graders or 6th graders, depending on when middle school starts. I would think your child would be sad to miss out on that special celebration and the fun he/she would have with friends that last week. Our school has a BBQ the last day, too, and the kids look forward to it all year. For those reasons, I would recommend November, but in terms of weather, I would recommend May because November is more of a hurricane time. Good luck deciding!

One will be finishing up 5th grade (so definitely nothing going on there) and one will be finishing up 6th grade. Do they have "finals" in 6th grade that last week? It's been so long since my older two were this age...

I doubt it - What you could do is talk to the teachers ahead of time and let them know you will be out of town and make arrangements to make up any missing work ahead of time

We often cruise at christmas time and for a couple of vacations we took my daughter had to miss 1 or 2 days of school and she had exams - we made arrangements ahead of time for her to take her exams early

Hi there. I'm a 6th grade teacher. We do not have finals at that age in our district. In addition, for me, the last several days of the year are for review and cleaning up! I would rather a student of mine miss during the last week than in November, when we are likely in the "meat" of a novel, writing project, etc. Hope this helps!

Hi there. I'm a 6th grade teacher. We do not have finals at that age in our district. In addition, for me, the last several days of the year are for review and cleaning up! I would rather a student of mine miss during the last week than in November, when we are likely in the "meat" of a novel, writing project, etc. Hope this helps!

That is very helpful! I was all ready to move the cruise to May but when my younger daughter's teacher said she would be missing all the "5th grade graduation" festivities, I decided I better not. :( Really bummed about it but I know she would be sad. That's not how I want vacation to begin!

We usually cruise during school as summer is just too expensive, but at least now I know that end of May time is still affordable and not missing important stuff (for now). We took a cruise last year in the beginning of September (during Labor Day), and it did not seem like a good time school-wise. There is a lot of info given during those first few weeks of school.

Since you are a teacher, may I ask what other times of year aren't terrible? First week after Christmas break? Week before Christmas break?

I really appreciate everyone's input on this question!

I'm not sure how the grades/schools work in your state/town, but here in Baltimore 5th grade is end of elementary school and they move up to middle school for 6th grade. My point is- that last week of school may be the last time your 5th grader gets to see some of her friends (if they will be heading to a different middle school than she will).

Will she be ok with the fact that she'll miss that last week with her friends? If yes, then my vote is for May instead of November. (y)

ETA- I just read your post about the 5th grade graduation and festivities... she definitely wouldn't want to miss out on those.

That is very helpful! I was all ready to move the cruise to May but when my younger daughter's teacher said she would be missing all the "5th grade graduation" festivities, I decided I better not. :( Really bummed about it but I know she would be sad. That's not how I want vacation to begin!

We usually cruise during school as summer is just too expensive, but at least now I know that end of May time is still affordable and not missing important stuff (for now). We took a cruise last year in the beginning of September (during Labor Day), and it did not seem like a good time school-wise. There is a lot of info given during those first few weeks of school.

Since you are a teacher, may I ask what other times of year aren't terrible? First week after Christmas break? Week before Christmas break?

I really appreciate everyone's input on this question!

Hi again!

For me personally, the "slowest" times would definitely be the weeks before and after a break. So you're on the right track with that! I think that for my students, the momentum is slowing down the week before a break, and we are still trying to rebuild the week after a break! This goes for fall, Christmas, spring break etc. I also tend to "wrap up" things before breaks and not do much new instruction, since kids are likely to forget a lot over break days.

Thank you for being a conscientious parent and considering the needs of your kiddos! I must say, I wish I had more parents like you. :)

Have a wonderful cruise, whenever you end up going!

Hi again!

For me personally, the "slowest" times would definitely be the weeks before and after a break. So you're on the right track with that! I think that for my students, the momentum is slowing down the week before a break, and we are still trying to rebuild the week after a break! This goes for fall, Christmas, spring break etc. I also tend to "wrap up" things before breaks and not do much new instruction, since kids are likely to forget a lot over break days.

Thank you for being a conscientious parent and considering the needs of your kiddos! I must say, I wish I had more parents like you. :)

Have a wonderful cruise, whenever you end up going!

You're sweet to say so, but I was just thinking how I wished we had more teachers like you!

I would have never cruised in September last year had I known what an awful time it was for the schooling. I think at this point when we cruise with the girls, we will choose that last part of May. Very affordable, great weather, and no rush to get back to school. :)

Thank you, again!