Are Gratuities going up AGAIN next week ?

bradfordmickey

Still premier league LOL.

love sailing with RCCL

Just.

I have 3/4 good friends who are very depressed about it at the moment. I am sure talking to me does not help.

:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Of course this is the way all cruise lines seem to go. They all have auto tips do any of them say exactly who get what. Not that I have seen.

But RCCl might do as you love them so..

We have 93 cruising nights experience on P&O but i do like RC ships better(169 cruising nights)

love sailing with RCCL

Just.

I have 3/4 good friends who are very depressed about it at the moment. I am sure talking to me does not help.

Your not up yet.

Tipping is getting out of hand now but P&O seem to ask for less than other cruise lines.

love sailing with RCCL

And we would get rid of these tipping threads. I have been saying this for some time now. It allows those who do not like tipping an excuse not to tip.

Let's all pay more and no tipping. Much much better.

Do you really think so, I don't. There would still be moans about not knowing where our prepaid tips go and how do I make sure it goes to the right people. Not to mention the feeling that we still need to tip.

Do you really think so, I don't. There would still be moans about not knowing where our prepaid tips go and how do I make sure it goes to the right people. Not to mention the feeling that we still need to tip.

It all the people who impart misinformation about tipping based sold on what they think with no proof.

It appears to work in Australia and I am led to believe with Thompson's. No reason for it not to work on P&O.

There would be no moans about prepaid tips as there would be non. Just the price of the cruise would go up and that would be that. If anyone tipped after that then that is between them and the member of staff.

No not very pompous at all. But my original post was accurate.

Accurate, no.

However as you don't want to read the words P&O themselves have written, but seem to hold a belief they say something else, I am not sure what would convince you.

What I am sure is the proportion of people who opt out of paying the optional service charge (lets stop calling them 'tips' as even P&O have given up that pretence) will increase.

Accurate, no.

However as you don't want to read the words P&O themselves have written, but seem to hold a belief they say something else, I am not sure what would convince you.

What I am sure is the proportion of people who opt out of paying the optional service charge (lets stop calling them 'tips' as even P&O have given up that pretence) will increase.

Therefore I refer you to my post above. Put the price up. Stop tips.

Most of us happily pre- pay tips for convenience on the understanding the crew we expect to get them do get them.If there was conclusive proof otherwise i would and most others would stop the tips and hand them directly to the crew members who make our cruise special.

love sailing with RCCL

After always paying the autotip we are going to return to giving envelopes on our September cruise. I can't say that we had bad service in February on Britannia but we had no interaction at all with the waiters or cabin steward and both just 'did their job', nothing more and we gave an autotip of £154.

In future we will revert to tipping in envelopes as much as we judge the service to be worth.

We will continue to leave the auto tips on as we have always done. We will also slip a little extra in an envelop if we feel we have had good service.

Never been on a ship without great interaction with staff. Perhaps because we cruise so often and meet so many staff we have sailed with before.

According to the link you provided, the auto-gratuities have ceased, so your wish has been granted by P&O.

It's all the same only in your mind is there any difference.

They are Tips.

To satisfy what I have advocated, as you well know this extra would disappear therefore people would not be opting out as it would not be there they would just pay more.

They are Tips.

Clearly an optional service charge added to your bill before you have received any service is not a 'tip' and even P&O on their website in the link you posted distinguishes the two as separate things.

Clearly an optional service charge added to your bill before you have received any service is not a 'tip' and even P&O on their website in the link you posted distinguishes the two as separate things.

It is a service charge to pay their wages only.

You are right a tip is something you give after someone has done something special for you.

love sailing with RCCL

Still a tip. That's what everyone will see it as

Little point in this as we are not going to agree. Does not matter how often you say it it does not make it true. It will be for you but not others.

The crew are excellent and mainly from India where wages are low but it is disrespectful of cruise lines to make the crew rely on charity from the passengers to earn a deserved wage.

love sailing with RCCL

Now that is a different matter and solved by charging more for cruises.

Now that is a different matter and solved by charging more for cruises.

TBH that was a point i made earlier.The crew deserve to be paid properly by their employers not by us and i would rather pay a little extra for the cruise so the crew are happy with their lot then if they go the extra mile a genuine tip and thank you mean something.

love sailing with RCCL

Still a tip. That's what everyone will see it as

A tip is a freely given expression of gratitude for a job well done to a specific individual.

An optional service charge that disappears into P&O's accounting system to go who knows where, is not a tip.

I am not sure why you have such passion in trying to assert something which even P&O says isn't the case.

A tip is a freely given expression of gratitude for a job well done to a specific individual.

An optional service charge that disappears into P&O's accounting system to go who knows where, is not a tip.

I am not sure why you have such passion in trying to assert something which even P&O says isn't the case.

As I said before we will not agree.

We are lucky to a certain degree with P&O because on Royal Carribean and other American ships the tipping expectations are on another planet and 18% service charge is on every drink and they still expect extra on top of that.

love sailing with RCCL

Might be from you but not from the original poster.

I know him from past encounters. Of course it could be female.

BTW my commiserations if you are R&W. your lot are in a worse place than ours were.

[emoji104][emoji104][emoji1297]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They are Tips.

To satisfy what I have advocated, as you well know this extra would disappear therefore people would not be opting out as it would not be there they would just pay more.

It's pointless you two arguing over semantics, tips, gratuities, service reward scheme or agreement.

They are extra payments made to to a specific group of staff whose wage rate is artificially set low, and this payment brings it up to what can be a very good wage if everyone pays, or not so good if they don't.

In the end if you do not contribute to it, then you are hitting the staff where it hurts most, in their pay packet.

You may not agree with tipping, or the way the cruise industry use it to bolster wages, rather than paying a fair wage and increasing prices to compensate, but that's the way it is.

By the way, whoever said that this would reduce passenger numbers and profits, I don't agree, especially since Brexit reduced sterling's value and made P&O even more competitive with US lines.