Separate uber line at fort lauderdale airport?

Pier290

So lets clarify this for any reader who is curious, but has no clue about Uber and Lyft, Both are based on "apps" that are downloaded to Smartphones. In both cases, you must pre-register, get a user name and Password, and set up an account with a valid major credit card. Once your account is approved and activated, you can use the Apps to summon a car/driver. There are various options with both companies...and one could debate (all day) which is better. For us, we tend to use Uber as our first option...and only go to Lyft if there is no Uber driver quickly available. But one could use Lyft as their primary...as either company is legit and good. The apps will let you choose the size car, will tell you the price, and also tell you how long until your ride arrives at your location. You will know the face of your driver, his/her car, etc. It is really a cool system...although the first few times you might have some growing pains. The ride cost is automatically charged to your credit card by Uber or Lyft...so you do not pay the driver! Uber does not specifically ask that you tip your driver, but many of us do tip the decent drivers (all our Uber drivers have been great). Lyft does encourage tipping (but its not necessary).

So (if anyone cares) here are my thoughts. I am a big believer in Capitalism...and Uber and Lyft are both tremendous examples of Capitalism. The drivers work for themselves, can accept/reject fares, own and maintain their own cars, must pass background checks, etc. The idea of supporting these modern day entrepreneurs is near and dear to my heart. The regular taxi industry is antiquated, sometimes corrupt and drivers often underpaid, overworked, etc. We have had many taxis around the world (including in Ft Lauderdale) try to overcharge us (or take us a longer route) which makes me angry. Both Uber and Lyft will give you the cost online (once you tell them where you want to go) and that is what you pay. You know in advance...what you will pay!

There is also a wonderful rating system. Drivers are rated by passengers (who fill out the online form) and riders are actually rated by the drivers. If you jerk a driver around of give him/her a hard time..you may not get any service the next time you try to summon a driver (they can see your rating). It is a great concept. We are now seeing some taxi companies moving towards similar systems (if you can't beat em...join em).

Somebody on our last HAL cruise asked why anyone needed to get a Smartphone. My response was that if you are a frequent (or occasional) traveler it is a real plus. Consider that Delta Airlines's app will tell you about your flight status (before you see it on any airport board), will tell you if your luggage is loaded on the aircraft. etc. And that is just one small example of the benefits. When we drive around Europe we can use our phone as a GPS device. If we need to find discount parking in NYC, our phone can do that and save us about $15 a day! Need to get into a restaurant.....your phone can probably handle it! And now, some cruise lines have apps that you can use on your phone...while aboard.

Hank

:) Very informative post Hank. Thanks so much. It helped me to decide on using Uber for our upcoming trip.

One question. What size Uber would you ask for with two people and two large pieces of luggage? An XL?

Jan

:) Very informative post Hank. Thanks so much. It helped me to decide on using Uber for our upcoming trip.

One question. What size Uber would you ask for with two people and two large pieces of luggage? An XL?

Jan

I travel a great deal for my job and I've started taking Uber/Lyft to/from the airport regardless of trip length and the amount of luggage I have....note I've never (and will never) use the Uber Pool service.....but I've never found amount of luggage to be an issue, two people and two large pieces of luggage should fit in any sized Uber/Lyft

It is always interesting to see someone come onto the internet to CC to ask a question where they get all kinds of conflicting information when they can do a search that takes far less time and get the info from the company itself.

https://www.uber.com/airports/fll/

If a search is done you also find out that last year they stopped doing pickups at FLL and Port Everglades due to a conflict with the county, but have resumed after coming to agreement (they apparently collect and pay the county $4.50 as Taxi's do per pickup).

Also there seems to be a trend at FLL where Uber drivers are calling the passengers to find out the destination and are rejecting short rides. Which might be why the driver told an earlier poster that he could not go into the Port (too short of a ride).

http://www.local10.com/news/uber-drivers-cherry-pick-rides-at-fort-lauderdale-airport-passengers-say-

Jan

We have used UberX with 3 pieces of luggage and always managed. This might mean one piece of luggage has to go in the front seat....but the drivers are good at making it work. Using XL is certainly a bit more comfortable with much more room for luggage, but you will pay more money. The app will show you the cost of each option and you can make your decision. Another issue can be how long you wait for your ride. If you look at XL and will have a long wait...then you might want to opt for X (or vice versa).

Hank

We have used UberX with 3 pieces of luggage and always managed. This might mean one piece of luggage has to go in the front seat....but the drivers are good at making it work. Using XL is certainly a bit more comfortable with much more room for luggage, but you will pay more money. The app will show you the cost of each option and you can make your decision. Another issue can be how long you wait for your ride. If you look at XL and will have a long wait...then you might want to opt for X (or vice versa).

Hank

Hank,

You're so knowledgeable about Uber, I have a question. I'm disabled and use a mobility scooter when travelling. The one time I used Uber, the driver didn't think he could get my scooter in his car when he arrived, so he suggested I cancel and re-book an XL. When I did this, there were no XL's available, so the driver then helped me break down my scooter and it fit, but I was alone and no luggage, so he told me to re-book him, I did and all was well, except Uber charged me a $5 cancellation fee. :mad: I tried to get it refunded, but to no avail.

Having never used an Uber XL, will it be large enough for 2 paxs, 3 pieces of luggage, and my scooter ? There are taxi's in FLL that are minivans with rear ramps equipped, so I just drive my scooter into the back and the driver places all the luggage around me.

Thanks for your advice.

I always pick Lyft over Uber. Uber app doesn't let you tip and if you want to tip the driver you have to pay in cash. And if you don't tip in cash, driver immediately knows there is no tip. Lyft app allows you to tip in the app with your credit card. The tip does not show until the next day and it is mixed in with the other tips so driver does not know who tipped or who didn't. That way you don't feel like you have to tip if you really don't want to and you don't have to carry cash.

And Lyft app even allows you to tip a day later. One time we left an iPhone in the car. We were able to contact the driver thru the app and he drove to us to give us back the phone. So I used that "add additional tip" feature on the app.

Hank,

You're so knowledgeable about Uber, I have a question. I'm disabled and use a mobility scooter when travelling. The one time I used Uber, the driver didn't think he could get my scooter in his car when he arrived, so he suggested I cancel and re-book an XL. When I did this, there were no XL's available, so the driver then helped me break down my scooter and it fit, but I was alone and no luggage, so he told me to re-book him, I did and all was well, except Uber charged me a $5 cancellation fee. :mad: I tried to get it refunded, but to no avail.

Having never used an Uber XL, will it be large enough for 2 paxs, 3 pieces of luggage, and my scooter ? There are taxi's in FLL that are minivans with rear ramps equipped, so I just drive my scooter into the back and the driver places all the luggage around me.

Thanks for your advice.

Uber XL is basically any 7 seaters (including driver) SUV or MiniVan.

It is always interesting to see someone come onto the internet to CC to ask a question where they get all kinds of conflicting information when they can do a search that takes far less time and get the info from the company itself.

Following your logic, we might as well close down Cruise Critic's boards and all go looking for our information on the cruise lines' websites. On the other hand, many posters realize that websites don't always have the most precise or accurate information, and that other posters can often provide better insight.

We think you were conned. Uber does not work that way as their drivers must be summoned via their apps and the passengers must be pre-registered with payment made through the Uber App (charged directly to your credit card). With Uber, the App will tell you the exact price before you even summon a driver. In Miami and Ft Lauderdale there are plenty of "gypsy" cabs (not licensed or insured) that might try to con a user that they are Uber of Lyft.

If an Uber driver started doing the kind of pick-up you describe...while they were logged onto Uber...they would lose their Uber job. When an Uber driver goes to work, he/she logs on via their phone app and they they are controlled by the Uber software. Real Uber drivers are not paid in cash!

The "doorman" who directed you to the car was likely part of the scam and got a kick-back. We have run into the same problem at Miami and Ft Lauderdale hotels where a hotel staff person (knowing we needed a taxi) will direct us to a gypsy cab... When this happens we ask a few questions (who do you work for?, what is your price?, etc) and they will usually want about double the normal price. We just laugh and summon Uber or Lyft on our phone.

Hank

We explained the details of our 'scam'...yes....and by a Uber driver...yes.....and kick-back...yes... in the other thread recently posted on this subject so won't go into it again. I'm sure you're not naive so would understand that if a U driver had let off a passenger at the airport arrivals, had a 'friend' at departures who would assist in placing a passenger into another ride, off the app and therefore the system, and would know it would then be a cash fare...you know this driver perhaps could take advantage. He or she would take a chance the traveller wouldn't be bothered with complaining to anyone in authority. Very aware of how the 'system' works and have chosen some time ago to not use Uber and to support the hard working taxi driver, who pays his way, and is at a disadvantage when Uber can work outside of the process set up for taxi drivers. When this changes and there's an even playing field so they can legally compete with each other, we'll entertain using Uber and their technology which is actually a great step forward for both passenger and driver.

Following your logic, we might as well close down Cruise Critic's boards and all go looking for our information on the cruise lines' websites. On the other hand, many posters realize that websites don't always have the most precise or accurate information, and that other posters can often provide better insight.

CC works fine for opinions and some other things. but specific questions like the one asked here going to the company usually generates more accurate results. I count 4 or 5 conflicting answers on where you get picked up, as well as the one saying they don't pickup in FLL (true for a little while last year but not now) or use a different company etc.