"Formal Nights" What is your preference?

Things I am not doing on a cruise:

Wearing a tie OR going to the buffet for dinner.

If you want to dress up, go to the Windjammer.

I have to say I got a good laugh at this reply....so thanks.

From my POV, and that is all it is, lots of different types of apparel is just fine for dinner in the MDR, as long as it isn't your beachwear or gym wear -- wearing that you can stop at the WJ or one of the other casual venues onboard.

OP, if I were you I would explain to my friends that "formal night" has become less strict over the years and people who enjoy dressing up do so while others take a less casual approach. Then tell them what YOU will be wearing since they will presumably be sitting with you, walking around together, etc. and might not want to feel too mismatched. And then leave it up to them to decide what they want to do.

Personally, I've observed the degree of "dressing up" in the MDR for both formal night and any other night depends a lot on the itinerary you are on. I've been mostly on Caribbean cruises where people are in a casual, laid-back frame of mind and that is reflected in how they dress. On the other hand, on a cruise to Norway and Iceland that departed from England I noticed most women wore cocktail dresses on even the casual nights in the MDR, and formal night was truly spectacular. I was underdressed since I opt for slacks and nice blouse on casual night and a cocktail dress for formal night, but I didn't stress over it and I really admired all of the lovely clothes I kept seeing. Of course, it could be a difference in having mostly American passengers vs mostly non-American. Or just a difference between a Caribbean cruise vs a more northern cruise.

People spend FAR too much time worrying about what other people think.

The only one that matters is who you are with.

If you want to dress up, dress up. If not, then don't. Why is that so hard?

It's just as annoying to see militant anti-formal as it is to see militant formal. Go find something that is worth worrying about. What you are wearing means nothing to me- trust me, I know that for sure.

We have been on both sides of the formal coin even dining with the captain. Big deal. They certainly have not cared. They are far more interested in knowing about you.

It's so very simple- if you want to dress formally, do it. If you don't want to, don't.

People spend FAR too much time worrying about what other people think.

The only one that matters is who you are with.

If you want to dress up, dress up. If not, then don't. Why is that so hard?

It's just as annoying to see militant anti-formal as it is to see militant formal. Go find something that is worth worrying about. What you are wearing means nothing to me- trust me, I know that for sure.

We have been on both sides of the formal coin even dining with the captain. Big deal. They certainly have not cared. They are far more interested in knowing about you.

It's so very simple- if you want to dress formally, do it. If you don't want to, don't.

hahaha! For those that pop a vein about what others wear should only go on Nudist cruises.

Problem solved!

Or, demand that when cruise officials inspect our luggage during pre-embarkation they confiscated all shorts and ratty t-shirts! hahahah!

hahaha! For those that pop a vein about what others wear should only go on Nudist cruises.

Problem solved!

Or, demand that when cruise officials inspect our luggage during pre-embarkation they confiscated all shorts and ratty t-shirts! hahahah!

That would probably amount to the same as your first comment.

I have to say I got a good laugh at this reply....so thanks.

From my POV, and that is all it is, lots of different types of apparel is just fine for dinner in the MDR, as long as it isn't your beachwear or gym wear -- wearing that you can stop at the WJ or one of the other casual venues onboard.

I've never worn beach wear or work out clothes to a restaurant; why would I do that on a ship?

And, rhetorically speaking, why do I have to participate in a costume party to get the food and service I have paid for? Should we kick people out that don't adhere to 80's night? Western Night? White night? It's all just themed costume evenings. Whether someone chooses to participate or not has no real impact on anyone else.