"Formal Nights" What is your preference?

I know every cruise line is different as it relates to formal nights, but the last time I was on RCC (Oasis of the Seas) i didn't see another evening dress in the crowd other than my own. In fact, my companion at the time felt a bit overdressed for the night. I personally don't mind getting all decked out for the formal nights since I have not too many chances to play dress up, but I am conflicted on what I should tell the first time cruisers which are coming with me on Anthem of the Seas in December. This is especially true since I saw people in shorts and t-shirts during formal nights. What do you choose to wear during the formal nights? and what do you think I should tell them to bring since they want to participate in the formal nights?

Explain to them what you wear on Formal Nights, explain that everyone sees their own vacation as different....and lots of people won't be dress formally, but will wear everything in between super casual to formal. It is there trip with YOU....so you should all decide how it should be for YOU.

A nice dress or jumpsuit for the ladies. A suit and tie for the men.

When we did go to the MDR for formal nights I would wear one of my nicer dresses with heels, and some nice jewelry, My husband would wear a suit.

The last couple years we have stopped participating. Unless it is for a specific occasion like a wedding, a night in high heels is not appealing to me. I would end up getting all "spiffy", head to the dining room to eat, and returning to the cabin right after dinner to change. So, to me it is pointless to get dressed up for two hours.

Much prefer wearing business casual with my boots or a top with jeans and tennis shoes.

From my experience, people on formal nights wear a wide variety of apparel. I have been wavering back and forth on what to pack for our upcoming 12 night British Isles Cruise. Many folks on our Roll Call are opting out of formal nights for this cruise because it is port intensive and they don't want to lug a large amount of luggage and/or weight across the pond. This is especially true if you are traveling in Europe pre or post cruise. We don't cruise that often and I enjoy getting a chance to dress up on formal nights so I finally decided to take a black cocktail dress and palazzo pants with an evening jacket set. Hubby is renting a tux with shoes. My point is that you should determine what works best for you and your interests. If you have no interest in getting dressed up then just skip the main dining room on those nights. From my research, a dark suit or sports coats/pants will also suffice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know every cruise line is different as it relates to formal nights, but the last time I was on RCC (Oasis of the Seas) i didn't see another evening dress in the crowd other than my own. In fact, my companion at the time felt a bit overdressed for the night. I personally don't mind getting all decked out for the formal nights since I have not too many chances to play dress up, but I am conflicted on what I should tell the first time cruisers which are coming with me on Anthem of the Seas in December. This is especially true since I saw people in shorts and t-shirts during formal nights. What do you choose to wear during the formal nights? and what do you think I should tell them to bring since they want to participate in the formal nights?

We always get dressed up with hubby in tux and me in a formal dress of some sort. This is actually one of our favorite things about cruising. There will always be people who just don't get dressed up for formal/elegant night but you will always find people who do. We cruise about two times a year and I've never felt out of place being dressed up and I'm never the only person to get dressed up.

Really? Why would I feel proud wearing a rented suit? If I need clothes to boost my self esteem I've got bigger issues. I'm on a cruise ship to enjoy myself. I hope you all do the same. And if snickering at my khakis and sports jacket on formal night makes you happy, go for it.

I won't snicker at someone in Khakis, so why is it okay for you to assume that those of us who like to dress up, or "take pride" in looking our best for the evening need to "boost our self-esteem?" It appears YOU are the one looking down on people while accusing others of doing just that. Most days I work from my recliner in pajamas. I truly enjoy the opportunity to get decked out and enjoy all of the activities that the ship has to offer.

To the OP, I would explain that there will be people dressed in everything from formal gowns to flip flops. Tell them to wear whatever makes them feel best.

Well I wasnt interested initially but a lot of cruisers are saying it's good fun (formal nights). Just to clarify, can you all explain how a formal night is different (besides dressing up?) are there different meals or what have you? Are these paid Dinners or just something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I won't snicker at someone in Khakis, so why is it okay for you to assume that those of us who like to dress up, or "take pride" in looking our best for the evening need to "boost our self-esteem?" It appears YOU are the one looking down on people while accusing others of doing just that. Most days I work from my recliner in pajamas. I truly enjoy the opportunity to get decked out and enjoy all of the activities that the ship has to offer.

To the OP, I would explain that there will be people dressed in everything from formal gowns to flip flops. Tell them to wear whatever makes them feel best.

Excellent response,this person thinks we all live in a long ago bygone age because we try to dress smart and respect formal night.

Love RCCL and P&O.

Well I wasnt interested initially but a lot of cruisers are saying it's good fun (formal nights). Just to clarify, can you all explain how a formal night is different (besides dressing up?) are there different meals or what have you? Are these paid Dinners or just something different?

We all have an opportunity to meet the captain,there is a cocktail party for everyone with free drinks,the restaurants put on a special menu and the photographer's are set up around the ship to take lovely keepsake photos.

Love RCCL and P&O.

We all have an opportunity to meet the captain,there is a cocktail party for everyone with free drinks,the restaurants put on a special menu and the photographer's are set up around the ship to take lovely keepsake photos.

Love RCCL and P&O.

Well explained. To a new cruiser, there are a few things you need to take note of:

• While the cocktail parties are nice, they are also crowded.
  • Make sure you give yourself enough time to get the pictures taken and not have it interfere with other plans. There will be lines for the photo ops. A short line does not always mean it will be faster. You could get behind a family of 4 who want a full family picture, one of just the kids, one with just the parents, etc.
  • Pictures can start to add up. Along with formal nights, there are welcome aboard photos, photographers will be on the pier as soon as you get off the ship in port, and I believe there are more casual backdrops on other days (if someone else could confirm that, please do so). You will also find the photographers taking pictures in the dining room. You can have as many pictures taken as you want. It is your decision whether you want to buy any of them.

Please note, I was replying to one person directly who made comments referring to other people's attire. I would hope most people would be more concerned with their dining companions and not worrying about others.

Please note, I was replying to one person directly who made comments referring to other people's attire. I would hope most people would be more concerned with their dining companions and not worrying about others.

To correct you, I'm sure i hope your wife can confirm a lot of ladies spend a lot of time and money on new outfits, hairdressers,nails jewelry etc to look glamorous for these occasions and most do and you can see they feel good about themselves why you had to put your ten penneth in about yourself when i was praising the ladies i don't know.

You were the one talking about being in a different century with regards to wanting to dress in style.

I think you need to grow up and let people praise people who have a different view.

Regards

Graham.

Love RCCL and P&O.

To correct you, I'm sure i hope your wife can confirm a lot of ladies spend a lot of time and money on new outfits, hairdressers,nails jewelry etc to look glamorous for these occasions and most do and you can see they feel good about themselves why you had to put your ten penneth in about yourself when i was praising the ladies i don't know.

You were the one talking about being in a different century with regards to wanting to dress in style.

I think you need to grow up and let people praise people who have a different view.

Regards

Graham.

Love RCCL and P&O.

Sorry sir. This all came about after you referred to me as a slob. I then replied to your opinions as being antiquated (I think that was the word I used). Anyway, I will bow out of this back and forth with you and allow the thread to get back on topic.

Enjoy your cruising.

Sorry sir. This all came about after you referred to me as a slob. I then replied to your opinions as being antiquated (I think that was the word I used). Anyway, I will bow out of this back and forth with you and allow the thread to get back on topic.

Enjoy your cruising.

You started by putting yourself down by saying if i am s******ing about your Khakis and sports jacket when if you had read my other posts i was praising how lovely everyone looks when they are dressed so you gave the impression of someone who resented people wanting to look nice hence in England the slob term.

I will accept your apology and i offer mine too.

Regards​.

Graham

Love RCCL and P&O.

Well explained. To a new cruiser, there are a few things you need to take note of:

• While the cocktail parties are nice, they are also crowded.
  • Make sure you give yourself enough time to get the pictures taken and not have it interfere with other plans. There will be lines for the photo ops. A short line does not always mean it will be faster. You could get behind a family of 4 who want a full family picture, one of just the kids, one with just the parents, etc.
  • Pictures can start to add up. Along with formal nights, there are welcome aboard photos, photographers will be on the pier as soon as you get off the ship in port, and I believe there are more casual backdrops on other days (if someone else could confirm that, please do so). You will also find the photographers taking pictures in the dining room. You can have as many pictures taken as you want. It is your decision whether you want to buy any of them.

Everything you say is spot on.

There are lots of photos taken casually around the ship but at least it gives you a good selection to choose from.

As diamond members we are lucky that we get 1 photo each free.

Love RCCL and P&O.

Our last cruise was to Alaska and we did a land tour before it and had no room for Formal wear in our luggage and don't you think we got invited to the Captains table on the first formal night. If we don't want to get dressed up we will go to the Specialty Restaurant or Windjammer.

Our last cruise was to Alaska and we did a land tour before it and had no room for Formal wear in our luggage and don't you think we got invited to the Captains table on the first formal night. If we don't want to get dressed up we will go to the Specialty Restaurant or Windjammer.

A few years ago on P&O Oriana friends were asked if the Captain could join them the following evening.

They were happy then they said,. Do You Mind If The Captain Shares Your Wine?

Does anyone else have a story about the Captain joining them for dinner?.

Love RCCL and P&O.

My wife wears cocktail dresses every night.At one time she wore an evening dress every night but the dress sense of the people you mentioned is quite common so the cocktail dresses are ideal.

love sailing with RCCL

How many suitcases do you bring?

How many suitcases do you bring?

Our cruises are 7 nights long and we take 2 large and 2 small cases.My wife plans all her outfits ,shoes and jewelry for every day and night so all the clothes we take are worn once.

Love RCCL and P&O.

A few years ago on P&O Oriana friends were asked if the Captain could join them the following evening.

They were happy then they said,. Do You Mind If The Captain Shares Your Wine?

Does anyone else have a story about the Captain joining them for dinner?.

Love RCCL and P&O.

I you sure she didn't say share your wife?[emoji33]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I love formal nights. Life is becoming too casual all around. On formal night one I will be wearing a long black halter style black dress with a beaded trim and open back. Very classy and sexy at the same time. On formal night two I'll either be wearing a short red backless a line dress that ties around the neck (have to use tape to hold in place....) or a long black one shouldered beaded gown. Already looking forward to it!!!

So on a 7 day there are 2 formal nights? any semiformal nights?

Thanks

I despise the whole dress up thing. I rented a tux the first few cruises, went to Dockers and a polo after those but am changing to shorts, shirt ( logo tee or polo) and flip flops for our next cruise which is my retirement celebration cruise with the whole family. I didn't put on long pants for over a year after I retired, still wouldn't have if we didn't have company that wanted to go to the Grand Canyon in January