"Formal Nights" What is your preference?

Love to dress for formal nights since we don't do it often except when in Vegas!! Enjoy! Do what makes you happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly and if you watch people when they are dressed up they exude a proudness and a feelgood factor.

love sailing with RCCL

I can't believe you pay for a cruise and go to a buffet rather than the dining room. But, if that makes you happy...

Because not everyone cruises for the food. To me dinner is just one aspect of a cruise. I also get tired of long dinners. I cruise more for the other things a cruise offers and to see all the different ports. I can always get a good meal in a restaurant here at home and not have to dress up.

Really? Why would I feel proud wearing a rented suit? If I need clothes to boost my self esteem I've got bigger issues. I'm on a cruise ship to enjoy myself. I hope you all do the same. And if snickering at my khakis and sports jacket on formal night makes you happy, go for it.

Because not everyone cruises for the food. To me dinner is just one aspect of a cruise. I also get tired of long dinners. I cruise more for the other things a cruise offers and to see all the different ports. I can always get a good meal in a restaurant here at home and not have to dress up.

The point is, you don't need to dress up to use the dining room. But as I've said before, if you're happy in the buffet, go for it

I can't believe you pay for a cruise and go to a buffet rather than the dining room. But, if that makes you happy...

I could just as easily say "I can't believe you pay for a cruise and then spend 1.5-2 hours of your limited time on the ship eating one meal per day, but if that makes you happy..."

There is so much I would rather spend my time on than eating. It's good that they have different options for people who like different things, do what makes you happy.

I could just as easily say "I can't believe you pay for a cruise and then spend 1.5-2 hours of your limited time on the ship eating one meal per day, but if that makes you happy..."

There is so much I would rather spend my time on than eating. It's good that they have different options for people who like different things, do what makes you happy.

Of course. Do what makes you happy. My impression was that the other person didn't go to the MDR on formal nights because of the dress code. That what I was replying to. I may have misunderstood. Certainly if someone chooses to eat at the buffet every night because it works for them I'd never think to tell them to do otherwise.

We love formal.nights! I take my two tuxes (classic black and tropical ivory) and DW is usually in a gown.

On our last cruise we were seated at a table for 12...... all the men wore tuxes, and the ladies at least cocktail dresses, with one or two.in gowns.

I would have loved to be at that table. It sounds like it would have made for a great photo

I think most who have responded here missed the main gist of the original post...I don't think the OP wanted to know what YOU prefer in regard to formal nights...more importantly, they wanted a sense of what to tell their newbie friends...

Look, I don't particularly like formal nights--especially now, when I tend to do longer cruises with long pre- and post-cruise stays and the airlines so severely restrict my luggage. It just makes little sense. And lines like Oceania and Azamara have NO formal nights...and Celebrity has recently gotten rid of theirs.

When we first started cruising and for many years thereafter, I always packed my tuxedo (or rented one) and tried to comply with the letter of the law. But, of late, it appears that 1) Royal Caribbean has loosened the language and enforcement a bit and 2) a large number of people, depending on ship, itinerary and time of year, are somewhat ignoring the "suggestions"...

What I've done is to drop the tux and go with what I'd call "faux formal"...pack black dockers, a black sports coat and a couple of white or black/white long sleeve shirts, maybe a tie...Allows me to be in black and white and with a coat, but without all of the hassle of all the stuff that goes with the tux. For our upcoming cruise, my wife has decided to go all casual...but some of that casual stuff will be in black/white and she'll wear that on formal nights--no long gowns, no beaded stuff or sequins or silk or chiffon...

So, what I would tell the newbies is that "tradition" is full formal attire...but that people are stretching it a bit, many rejecting it entirely...and it has now become a "suggestion" or "recommendation"...that, if they prefer to go formal, or want to have the ship's photographers photograph them in formal attire, go ahead...If they want to cheat a bit--go to a suit or a sports coat and tie for him, a cocktail dress or nice looking but more casual dress for her, go ahead and do that if you want...If they want to skip it entirely, okay...of course, still dress appropriately...don't wear shorts or swim wear or jogging suits or such to the dining room on any evening...Then I'd tell them what I was planning on wearing...and trust they might do the same...

I definitely wanted to know what to tell the newbies in regards to formal nights in the MDR, but I don't mind hearing everyone else's experiences with it . That is an awesome suggestion though. I never thought of phrasing it in that way.

Nothing if discreet but when someone has a vest top on covered in tattoos with shorts going into the main dining room that most people were talking about on formal night it is taking the p!!!.

Love RCCL and P&O.

Discreet. Narrow minded opinion! Your OP stated every night queueing up for MTD. Now it's formal evening in the MDR. What about the person wearing a short sleeved dress shirt and wearing dress slacks on any other evening with exposed arm or hand tattoos? What about the guy wearing a tux on formal evening that has a neck tattoo showing above his collared shirt and bow tie? Or it could even be a Head Waiter or server giving you exceptional service in the MDR with an exposed tattoo.

Discreet. Narrow minded opinion! Your OP stated every night queueing up for MTD. Now it's formal evening in the MDR. What about the person wearing a short sleeved dress shirt and wearing dress slacks on any other evening with exposed arm or hand tattoos? What about the guy wearing a tux on formal evening that has a neck tattoo showing above his collared shirt and bow tie? Or it could even be a Head Waiter or server giving you exceptional service in the MDR with an exposed tattoo.

I'm not against tattoos at all,but if someone has a vest top on and shorts and they are kicking off when they are told they can't come into MTD then they are allowed in to quieten them down now thats what people were talking about.

They were Brit's and seeing this antisocial behaviour by football louts from England before this is what i am talking about.

Love RCCL and P&O.

I know every cruise line is different as it relates to formal nights, but the last time I was on RCC (Oasis of the Seas) i didn't see another evening dress in the crowd other than my own. In fact, my companion at the time felt a bit overdressed for the night. I personally don't mind getting all decked out for the formal nights since I have not too many chances to play dress up, but I am conflicted on what I should tell the first time cruisers which are coming with me on Anthem of the Seas in December. This is especially true since I saw people in shorts and t-shirts during formal nights. What do you choose to wear during the formal nights? and what do you think I should tell them to bring since they want to participate in the formal nights?

Since they are going to be WITH YOU, just tell them what you are wearing. ;)

My Hubby wear his Tux and I wear a gown -- it feels great and it doesn't matter what others chose to wear as long as they are happy as well.

KathyT:)

It is a nice feeling when you are dressed up and even better if everyone else is too.

Love RCCL and P&O.

I usually wear a suit for the 1st formal night, but just a shirt and a pair of dress slacks for the 2nd. I really don't care what anyone else wears. Nobody gave me a sign that says Clothes Police.

See that's odd because lobster is on the second formal. Many have said they don't mind dressing if the fancy meal is part of it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I try to travel lite. I bring my blue blazer; wife has some suitable dresses but not gowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You wear pants with the blazer, correct. Not much packing difference between a tux jacket and pants vs blazer and pants. [emoji6]

You wear pants with the blazer, correct. Not much packing difference between a tux jacket and pants vs blazer and pants. [emoji6]

My wife brings cocktail dresses for every night now instead of evening dresses so the weight in the cases is a lot less.

We have done so many cruises now(43) that last June in the med i brought long sleeve shirts and 2 ties but because it is so warm i didn't bring a suit .

Love RCCL and P&O.

I like the idea of formal night, and we dress semi-formal to formal for it, but it is a lot of work. It's more to pack and more time spent getting ready for dinner (often after a day on shore, sometimes with a sunburn), and wearing heels all night. I'd be fine without it because I'm on a cruise to relax, and I don't judge those who forego it, but we go along.

Basically this. At home, I would be all about it. If I were going to a formal banquet at home, I would buy a new dress, matching jewelry, shoes and maybe even have my hair done. But I don't want to try to fit a ball gown into a suitcase. And considering my 6 year old can't carry luggage, I want to avoid taking more than me and my DH (okay mostly my DH) can manage. So it usually ends up being a nicer light weight dress (lengthy does not matter that much for me). It is basically a nicer material sundress.

I don't mind dressing a little nicer every day- similar to what I would wear to work. Usually for dinner I would wear nice capris and blouse, dress pants or a light dress anyway. DH would usually wear khakis or possibly jeans and polo shirt. Formal night we basically wear just a bit nicer than we would on other nights- like DH in dress pants and a tie and me in a dress. DD has formal dresses but she is 6 and those dresses don't take up an entire suitcase.