"Formal Nights" What is your preference?

I've never cruised before (first cruise in feb 18) but I've scrimped and saved 18 months for my cruise; it's not about "everything being so casual these days" it's about the fact I don't own an evening dress and would be aghast at the thought of buying one just for a cruise! Plus I'm no slim Jim, it would have to be an evening caftan, which doesn't seem to be a thing.

We work very hard, we've raised our families, but beaded formal dresses haven't been too necessary on the farm. I'm told a well made skirt and smart shirt or blouse would be sufficient which suits me as I can mix and match a few well chosen items. My DH would refuse flat out to wear a tux; he thinks he only needs to do so giving away his daughters. It'll be challenging enough to wrestle him into a suit, trust me. Haha husband wrangling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me personally? Suit, tie, national medal ribbon bar and enjoy being dressed up for the night. Certainly beats my usual t-shirt and shorts that I get around in most of the time. Always good to hit R-Bar or other bar/lounge afterwards and make a real night of it.

I like the idea of formal night, and we dress semi-formal to formal for it, but it is a lot of work. It's more to pack and more time spent getting ready for dinner (often after a day on shore, sometimes with a sunburn), and wearing heels all night. I'd be fine without it because I'm on a cruise to relax, and I don't judge those who forego it, but we go along.

For heavens sake, RC drop the so called formal night, do what X did call it Chic night and IT WORKS, better than FORMAL. Unfortunately on X as RC you will see a few people dressed for Burger King, but most/many will wear modern, sexy, elegant clothes, and a number will still wear the Tux or at least a jacket. Most of these clothes are in the closets already, for most a TUX is not a closet item or is long gowns. There is no need to force people in this day and age to go out and buy special clothes JUST FOR A CRUISE. Renting a tux is just another unseeded expense, unless you are celebrating a special event in your life.

On our first cruise we brought suits and a cocktail dress, last cruise dockers and a shirt and tie, and a maxi dress for me. Our cruises have been Thanksgiving cruises out of Texas. The table behind us for formal night one night had screaming kids, women in beach coverups and men in jean shorts and backwards ball caps. (Except for the Grandparents, who were formally dressed.). And you know what? Didn't matter...nice people traveling with a huge family group and doing their best to herd their little ones to an MDR formal meal. We also saw couples in tuxes and long gowns (with tiaras!).

We like dressing like we are going out to a very nice restaurant on date night at home...nice but by no means formal. That seems to be acceptable. I absolutely would bring formal wear (or opt for specialty dining) if a strict dress code were in place....but truthfully am relieved it is not.

For heavens sake, RC drop the so called formal night, do what X did call it Chic night and IT WORKS, better than FORMAL. ....

There is no need to force people in this day and age to go out and buy special clothes JUST FOR A CRUISE. Renting a tux is just another unseeded expense, unless you are celebrating a special event in your life.

[emoji106]🏻

For heavens sake, RC drop the so called formal night, do what X did call it Chic night and IT WORKS, better than FORMAL. Unfortunately on X as RC you will see a few people dressed for Burger King, but most/many will wear modern, sexy, elegant clothes, and a number will still wear the Tux or at least a jacket. Most of these clothes are in the closets already, for most a TUX is not a closet item or is long gowns. There is no need to force people in this day and age to go out and buy special clothes JUST FOR A CRUISE. Renting a tux is just another unseeded expense, unless you are celebrating a special event in your life.

Who's forcing anyone to wear anything?

Our family (even the kids, 10&12) enjoy formal night. However, I swear suits everyday to work and I hate the thoughts of packing one. By them time my son and I take a suit... that is a whole garment bag almost, then there's the shoes. We rent a tux... its a treat wearing something a little nicer than my "work clothes" and it is a whole lot less packing. It is a good investment for me because we enjoy it and its less packing...

I'm with you on the tux rental. The wife tells me she hates me when it only takes me 30 minutes to pack but it's so worth it. :D

I know every cruise line is different as it relates to formal nights, but the last time I was on RCC (Oasis of the Seas) i didn't see another evening dress in the crowd other than my own. In fact, my companion at the time felt a bit overdressed for the night. I personally don't mind getting all decked out for the formal nights since I have not too many chances to play dress up, but I am conflicted on what I should tell the first time cruisers which are coming with me on Anthem of the Seas in December. This is especially true since I saw people in shorts and t-shirts during formal nights. What do you choose to wear during the formal nights? and what do you think I should tell them to bring since they want to participate in the formal nights?

I think most who have responded here missed the main gist of the original post...I don't think the OP wanted to know what YOU prefer in regard to formal nights...more importantly, they wanted a sense of what to tell their newbie friends...

Look, I don't particularly like formal nights--especially now, when I tend to do longer cruises with long pre- and post-cruise stays and the airlines so severely restrict my luggage. It just makes little sense. And lines like Oceania and Azamara have NO formal nights...and Celebrity has recently gotten rid of theirs.

When we first started cruising and for many years thereafter, I always packed my tuxedo (or rented one) and tried to comply with the letter of the law. But, of late, it appears that 1) Royal Caribbean has loosened the language and enforcement a bit and 2) a large number of people, depending on ship, itinerary and time of year, are somewhat ignoring the "suggestions"...

What I've done is to drop the tux and go with what I'd call "faux formal"...pack black dockers, a black sports coat and a couple of white or black/white long sleeve shirts, maybe a tie...Allows me to be in black and white and with a coat, but without all of the hassle of all the stuff that goes with the tux. For our upcoming cruise, my wife has decided to go all casual...but some of that casual stuff will be in black/white and she'll wear that on formal nights--no long gowns, no beaded stuff or sequins or silk or chiffon...

So, what I would tell the newbies is that "tradition" is full formal attire...but that people are stretching it a bit, many rejecting it entirely...and it has now become a "suggestion" or "recommendation"...that, if they prefer to go formal, or want to have the ship's photographers photograph them in formal attire, go ahead...If they want to cheat a bit--go to a suit or a sports coat and tie for him, a cocktail dress or nice looking but more casual dress for her, go ahead and do that if you want...If they want to skip it entirely, okay...of course, still dress appropriately...don't wear shorts or swim wear or jogging suits or such to the dining room on any evening...Then I'd tell them what I was planning on wearing...and trust they might do the same...

I don't like it, but I do it. It takes up extra room in the suitcase to pack the extra dress, shoes for the dress (which I don't wear ever again for the whole vacation), jewelry and accessories for the dress, more makeup to match the fancy of the dress, which means adding all my makeup brushes, eye shadows, concealers and foundation (it would look silly to wear a fancy dress and shoes and then show up with minimal "beach makeup" which is just lipgloss and mascara for me), extra hair products (again, I would normally let my hair be beachy and loose, maybe wear a ponytail or messy up-do, but for formal night I have to blow dry, flatiron, use different hair products to hold the hair in place, maybe even bring fancier hair pins). It's really overkill when going on a beach vacation to have to pack that much stuff for a 2 hour dinner, when I could just wear a sun dress, my nice beach tan, a cute messy up-do and some lipgloss. I HATE formal night on vacation.

I know every cruise line is different as it relates to formal nights, but the last time I was on RCC (Oasis of the Seas) i didn't see another evening dress in the crowd other than my own. In fact, my companion at the time felt a bit overdressed for the night. I personally don't mind getting all decked out for the formal nights since I have not too many chances to play dress up, but I am conflicted on what I should tell the first time cruisers which are coming with me on Anthem of the Seas in December. This is especially true since I saw people in shorts and t-shirts during formal nights. What do you choose to wear during the formal nights? and what do you think I should tell them to bring since they want to participate in the formal nights?

I've never seen only 2 dresses in the MDR on a 7 day cruise. While I make a minimal effort to meet the standards, I certainly don't look down at people who want to dress up. If you walk by the photo lines on formal night I see no shortage of people dressed nicely. Tell them, and yourself, do what makes you happy.

I love formal nights. Life is becoming too casual all around. On formal night one I will be wearing a long black halter style black dress with a beaded trim and open back. Very classy and sexy at the same time. On formal night two I'll either be wearing a short red backless a line dress that ties around the neck (have to use tape to hold in place....) or a long black one shouldered beaded gown. Already looking forward to it!!!

I agree! ...coming from a 29 yr old "aka millennial"!

I enjoy dressing up for formal nights, it's apart of the experience.

What they say on "formal night" is men can wear slacks, or nice jeans, with a collared shirt and women slacks, skirt, dress.... I've seen men sent back to their rooms to change with shorts! I sort of like it since we do up to 3 week trips with carry on only and"dressy casual" is easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I never participate in formal night. I think we did on our first or second cruise. I prefer to be myself and I'm not one to dress swanky and wear pant suits or dress up. At the same time, I don't go to the dining room even though staff tries to convince otherwise ("Oh, no we didn't bring formal wear" Staff: "Oh it doesn't matter, you don't have to!). We usually just end in the Windjammer. Formal to me means evening dress, pant suits, or suits and tuxes. If you don't wear that, you shouldn't be going to the dining room for dinner. At least that's my take.

I would ask your first time cruiser friends what they want to do. Our inlaws went on their first cruise a year and a half ago and we told them all about formal night. Though we didn't participate, they had a great time dressing up. They were really glad they did.

Have them read this thread ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2476303