What happens to Refundable OBC if you Cancel Last Minute?

eyelovcrusin

We had a significant Refundable OBC from our TA but had to cancel last minute due to a medical emergency. My question is what happens with the money? Does it revert back to the Travel Agency? Or is it in the possession of the Cruise line?

Since it is from your TA, I am assuming they gave you back some of their commission in OBC. I am not sure anyone receives it. If you are not taking the cruise the TA is not getting their commission. I am very sorry for your medical emergency and hope it has a positive outcome.

Since it is from your TA, I am assuming they gave you back some of their commission in OBC. I am not sure anyone receives it. If you are not taking the cruise the TA is not getting their commission. I am very sorry for your medical emergency and hope it has a positive outcome.

The OP cancelled at the last minute. Assuming, the cruise line kept all of the OP's money, then the TA probably still kept their commission.

I would certainly call the TA, candidly ask about the retention of their commission and assuming that they retained it, ask them for a cash rebate equivalent to the OBC they had offered. If they want your continued business, they should be willing to give you the rebate.

Hopefully the OP had travel insurance that will reimburse them their cruise fare and non-refundable trip expenses.

I would 't expect my TA to pay us the OBC for a cruise we couldn't take. Heck if they did between the insurance and OBC we would be money ahead.

I just read the agreements we have signed in the past with 2 different TAs, in both cases they say the any modification to the reservation can result in a change or forfeiture of the benefit provided by the TA.

Hopefully the OP had travel insurance that will reimburse them their cruise fare and non-refundable trip expenses.

I would 't expect my TA to pay us the OBC for a cruise we couldn't take. Heck if they did between the insurance and OBC we would be money ahead.

Only if the OBC was greater than the insurance premium ;)

It really comes down to your relationship with the TA. I have been using the same small TA for several years now; and I know that he would give me the same piece of his commission if in fact he was still allowed to receive it from the cruise line.