Alaska cruise in June. Need help?

Rebels

Going on our first Alaskan cruise in June. All previous cruises we have taken have been to the Carribean! Going on the Explorer in June. How do we pack clothes wise? Is the Temp cold. . Need help thanks.

Temperatures anywhere from 14 degress Celsius up to mid 20's Celsius (sorry don't know the Fahrenheit equivalents). It will be colder when you're closer to glaciers. With that in mind pack with a view to wearing clothes in layers. Expect rainy weather and be happy when there isn't any. Check out the Alaska sub Forum in the Port of Calls forum for additional advice on packing and reputable private tour operators (a lot more economical and better experience than ship's excursions).

We had everything from shorts to winter gear and I'm glad we did! We did a land/sea cruise through Princess and it was the vacation of a lifetime!

The day we were glacier cruising we went to the front of the ship and had our winter coats, gloves and rain pants on to block the wind. I'm glad we had them! There were people that didn't and they weren't up there too long! But then we went down a level or two, blocked from the wind and in the sun and we were peeling off our layers!!

We had perfect weather, but even then we wore clothes meant for all four seasons! We had temps anywhere from probably 30 degrees or less inland to 70's when we were in Skagway and Ketchikan. When we were in Ketchikan they hadn't seen the sun in days or maybe weeks! When we were there, there was not a cloud in the sky! The locals were literally dancing in the streets because of it!! It was surely a site!

Anyway, I bought a pair of ultra thin gloves so I can still take pics with my camera and not keep taking off my gloves. Make sure to bring hats to keep the sun from your face - you can still get sunburned when it's 50 degrees and the sun is out! Bring sunscreen! Layers really is the key to an Alaskan trip. Make sure to bring binoculars if you have them! We used them on land and at sea! I don't have a Alaska packing list on this computer - I must have archived it to my back up hard drive. But google stuff. Make lists and notes. I researched so much and I don't think we forgot anything. We definitely had extra baggage fees, but it was well worth it - this was a 15 day trip for us. I think maybe the only stuff I didn't wear was the 1 or 2 sleeveless shirts. Oh, and also we bought waterproof coats that had layers. This is important. You can leave the ship with beautiful weather, and then an hour later its raining. I don't know what you plan to do when in port, but one day we went into the Yukon Territory and it got cold and somewhat rainy so having those coats was a life saver for sure!

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask! I never get tired of talking about trip :-)

Carol

If you have questions

We've been in June too and the real key, as mentioned, is waterPROOF outer layers. There is something childlike when a 60 something (at that time) can play in the puddles after being hosed off by an Orca. Fleece layers under the outer layers are comfy and perfect for most Alaska days.

Be prepared and you will certainly enjoy the experience that is Alaska.

Temperatures anywhere from 14 degress Celsius up to mid 20's Celsius (sorry don't know the Fahrenheit equivalents). It will be colder when you're closer to glaciers. With that in mind pack with a view to wearing clothes in layers. Expect rainy weather and be happy when there isn't any. Check out the Alaska sub Forum in the Port of Calls forum for additional advice on packing and reputable private tour operators (a lot more economical and better experience than ship's excursions).
thank yiu

We invested in light weight rain coats with hoods. That was in 2007 and we still have them. Layers is the key. We went to Alaska the 1st week of June and only had rain the day we sailed by the Glacier. It was misty and cold. In Juneau it was quite warm and no jacket was needed.

Jeans, water proof shoes or sneakers, a sweat shirt and a short sleeve T and you will be good to go. I was able to put everything I wasn't wearing in one of those drawstring backpacks.

Alaska is amazing. Enjoy your cruise.

Don't forget a toque, mitts, and maybe a scarf of some kind. We went in May, but I think even June can be cool in places (glaciers). A lot will depend on your shore excursions too. If you plan to hike, then appropriate footwear is in order. Also if you're going to walk on glaciers. I think a decent hiker would be better than sneakers for either of those activities. If you go out whale-watching, wind jackets and pants for rain or spray. Sunglasses and sunscreen.

Alaska is casual and outdoorsy. There are no fancy bars or restaurants there. People dress for the weather. Packing dressy clothing for the ship caused us a lot of grief and suitcases that were much too large. I would know better next time and would leave all the dressy stuff at home, opting to eat in the buffet restaurant on the designated "formal" nights. It's just too much hassle for Alaska.

I've sailed to Alaska three times during the first week of June and had spectacular weather every time. However, on each sailing we had one random day of cold and dreary drizzle...so we had shorts/t shirts weather most days and jeans/jacket weather all in the same week. Pack for it all! Layers! The only guarantee on the weather in Alaska is that it can change in a hot minute.

The dreary days were my favorite...the grey skies makes the green of the trees and mountains pop out that much more.

One tip...in Juneau take the public bus to Mendenhall Glacier. Then when everyone else gets off and all walk like a herd of cattle to the left toward the glacier viewing area...hang a right turn instead and walk back down the road the bus just came up a short ways. You'll come to a clearly marked and paved trail with a map of the trail loop. Follow the wide trail all the way to the end and you'll come out to an overhead view of the glacier. It's spectacular. We were the only two people on our little hike in the wilderness and had the view of a lifetime! Round trip took us a couple of hours. Not sure where to go...just ask the bus driver, they'll tell you exactly where the trail head is.

Enjoy!

Not much to add. Layers and waterproof are key. One day we were sitting on deck getting a sun burn at nearly 80, the next day it was raining and 48. I had seen a suggestion for rain pants- which I poo-pooed. Thought it might have been a little melodramatic. But when we were horse back riding in the pouring rain, and doing the dog sled thing where the rain is now coming at you sideways....Yeah.

So we went in July, not June, but we still had pretty chilly weather every day. Only for a few hours in the afternoon while in Skagway did we have nice, warm weather where I could sit outside in capri pants. I talked about how I packed and what I needed, or didn't, in my trip report. It's in my signature.