Harmony Boarding

SanzD

Sailing in June with my husband, son, father and brother. My dad is older and sometimes has some medical issues and sometimes gets out of breath when walking long distances or uphill. Recently saw a video showing what appeared to be a very long and uphill walk to board HOS (looked like a series of ramps). Can someone tell me if this is the case?

Once onboard he shouldn't have a problem b/c he can walk and sit at his own pace. I'm just concerned about the boarding process and don't want him starting the vacation out of breath and frustrated.

You can request wheelchair assistance from the cruise line for boarding and disembarking.

You may also want to consider renting a scooter for the cruise. There are companies that deliver the scooter to your stateroom and pick it up there after the cruise.

Thank you. I think a wheelchair for boarding will do the trick. Do you have to use the same long winding ramp to board at each port too?

Not usually long ramps at ports. However, some ports have long walks to the terminal area.

Sailing in June with my husband, son, father and brother. My dad is older and sometimes has some medical issues and sometimes gets out of breath when walking long distances or uphill. Recently saw a video showing what appeared to be a very long and uphill walk to board HOS (looked like a series of ramps). Can someone tell me if this is the case?

Once onboard he shouldn't have a problem b/c he can walk and sit at his own pace. I'm just concerned about the boarding process and don't want him starting the vacation out of breath and frustrated.

Overall the ship is huge. So walking to the elevator from any part of the ship can be a long walk with no place to sit available. When we were on her a few weeks ago, I noticed many wheelchairs that appeared to be rented. I suggest you consider renting one. You can have it available and use when and if your father requires it.

I do not know the companies who rent or if it can be arranged by the ship-but perhaps somebody with experience renting a chair can help you.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been on a RC cruise before but a few Carnival cruises with my mom who needs assistance and we always call and tell them we need assistance and they put us down as priority so when we get to the terminal, we don't have to wait long for a wheelchair and someone to assist us on the ship. However, last time we asked if we could borrow the wheelchair for the remainder of the cruise and they said no problem and we took it every where we went. This time when we go on the Harmony, my mom is renting a scooter from Special Needs at Sea who will deliver the scooter directly to our room but we will still request wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation. I love the idea of my mom having freedom with the scooter and not having to worry about being with me all the time to push her around. Hope this helps!

You can request wheelchair assistance right at the terminal entrance from an associate wearing a green neon vest. You may have to wait in a holding area until one is available, however. They will then wheel the passenger along with his/her guests on to the ship, after check in.

Not usually long ramps at ports. However, some ports have long walks to the terminal area.

on our last cruise we were able to get a ride on the golf carts from the ship to the end of the pier and back. Very small fee, maybe a couple of dollars. it was well worth it for DW