Does the chat feature on the Hub app work well?

Carleeb12

I have the app but from what I heard, the person has to basically be staring at their phone logged in waiting for the message. I thought it was more like a text where I could message my husband and say "Where are you" or "meet me in the buffet" and he would get a notification. From my understanding, this is not the case. He'd have to have it open and looking at it to receive the message. Now, I haven't tried it yet, this is just what I have heard, so I could totally be wrong! For me, it sounded like doing FB messenger would be easier and pay for the internet package for $5 a day. Then I could upload pictures as well. I guess we'll see!

Some of our group on Conquest last October tried using the Hub app and it worked sporadically. There was one four- or five-hour period when apparently the chat server was down, because no-one was getting messages.

We discovered that using FB Messenger was completely reliable to keep up with our friends aboard ship and we organized some ad hoc gatherings that way.

Using the "Value" internet plan, purchased at discount pre-cruise, so it was around $10 or $11/day, also enabled us to make voice calls home using FB Messenger...the kind of call that would cost you $2/minute on your stateroom phone. :o

Video calls didn't work on the 'Value" plan, but that was fine with us. .

I have the app but from what I heard, the person has to basically be staring at their phone logged in waiting for the message. I thought it was more like a text where I could message my husband and say "Where are you" or "meet me in the buffet" and he would get a notification. From my understanding, this is not the case. He'd have to have it open and looking at it to receive the message. Now, I haven't tried it yet, this is just what I have heard, so I could totally be wrong! For me, it sounded like doing FB messenger would be easier and pay for the internet package for $5 a day. Then I could upload pictures as well. I guess we'll see!

This is not true. We were on Conquest last week and messages came through just like a text. There was occasionally a few minute delay, but a ding and pop up msg on my phones home screen with the app opened or closed.

I think there is a little cross talking... There are three states for apps generally: running in the foreground, backgrounded, and not running.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

As far as people on this forum sharing their experiences with Hub chat, I've seen more negative than positive regarding reliability. That's a shame because we had high hopes for it. I'll definitely still use it for the free features, but was eager to try the chat. Last year the three of us bought the Social plan and communicated via iMessage. It worked well and, most of the time, was very reliable throughout most of the ship. Other than communicating with one another, we don't really need internet, so had hoped to save some money by using Hub chat. Regardless of the fact that it's only $5/device, I don't want to waste that money if it's not going to work well and we end up getting the Social plan anyway to communicate. We're going with another family of 5 on our next cruise and definitely want to be able to keep in touch with the group. We like to keep in mind that they have two more people than we do, so everything will be a bit more expensive for them, including internet plans. Hub chat would save them money, too.

The iTunes app store says it is often really sketchy. I just don't know if I should pay the $ if it isn't going to work very well.

I just came off the Vista and 3 of us used the Hub Chat. Worked like a champ. One thing I did notice is that if you lose signal (such as when going into an elevator) and you try to send a message, it wouldn't go and it wouldn't resend when signal returns so you would have to retype the message and then send it.

I just came off the Vista and 3 of us used the Hub Chat. Worked like a champ. One thing I did notice is that if you lose signal (such as when going into an elevator) and you try to send a message, it wouldn't go and it wouldn't resend when signal returns so you would have to retype the message and then send it.

agreed worked great on the vista for us as well

Anyone know if you can use it/log in on more than one device? We bring tablets to play games on so it would be nice to have it active on this plus a phone for when we don't have tablets with us.

What I've read a number of times is that it is one device at a time, per fee paid.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Thanks...Kinda thought that would be the case to prevent sharing maybe. I'll get by with just using it on phone.

Thanks...Kinda thought that would be the case to prevent sharing maybe. I'll get by with just using it on phone.

Not sure how one could share.You have to have the chat feature active on 2 or more phones to text someone anyway. The Hub chat is only for those on the ship, not to text back home.

Not sure how one could share.You have to have the chat feature active on 2 or more phones to text someone anyway. The Hub chat is only for those on the ship, not to text back home.

I'm not sure if that's the reason or not but theoretically if two devices could login then my roommate could use my account that I paid for and if I messaged another person on the ship all four of us could technically get the message for $10 instead of $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure whether I read it for this cruise line or another but from what I gathered these kinds of services are designed such that you have to log in to get access to the network and when you do so it seems that that ends any other current sessions on that account.

I'm not sure if that's the reason or not but theoretically if two devices could login then my roommate could use my account that I paid for and if I messaged another person on the ship all four of us could technically get the message for $10 instead of $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone is that cheap then maybe the 4 people should just hang out together and save the entire $20. :rolleyes:

While that will work for any of the Internet plans (log out and log in on another device), I don't think it will work for the Hub (and hence chat) as when I logged into the phone initially it asked for portfolio number and date of birth and then it remembered it on my phone (could not change it that I remember). Giving out that info to someone else could cost you a lot more than $5 depending on how devious they are.

If someone is that cheap then maybe the 4 people should just hang out together and save the entire $20. :rolleyes:

While that will work for any of the Internet plans (log out and log in on another device), I don't think it will work for the Hub (and hence chat) as when I logged into the phone initially it asked for portfolio number and date of birth and then it remembered it on my phone (could not change it that I remember). Giving out that info to someone else could cost you a lot more than $5 depending on how devious they are.

I'm not saying someone would do it....I'm simply saying these companies put these systems in place so someone don't have the opportunity to do such things.

• 2 years later...
On 4/1/2017 at 10:21 AM, MikeMSD said:

I'm betting it has to do with not having an internet connection. Messages to iPhones and Androids rely on push notification services. For Apple I know those messages go through Apples servers. I believe it's the same for Android through Google.

If there is no Internet access, then you can't receive the push notifications. If they allowed push notifications, then people would be seeing other alerts like Facebook and stuff that use the push service even if they didn't pay for Internet.

I'm betting the app stays running in the background and checks every so often to the server for updates using background app refresh. I would think best case to make sure it works is to leave the app running in the background. If you're one of those people that has to swipe up and close every app after you use it, it'll probably break the background refresh and prevent you from getting messages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are right. If you go to settings app and chose the carnival hub settings you need to make sure that background app refresh is turned on. This is what allows it to update itself when you have it in the background. Not sure how this works on Android. 

84950AC0-8080-4F8D-AAC3-A7CEE6936B85.thumb.png.c055b952a0d207418d3b67e721ee851c.png

On 4/1/2017 at 3:55 PM, Organized Chaos said:
bUU said:
I would be shocked to learn that Hub chat went through either Apple or Google. I believe the point of the $5 per device per cruise level of service is to provide access to resources that are served from aboard the ship itself.

I don't think they meant Hub chat went through Apple/Google servers. I think they were referring to Apple's proprietary messaging (aka iMessages). Those do go through Apple's servers. I think they were implying that the unreliable nature of Hub chat may have something to do with its inability to use Push Notifications.

Also push notifications for all apps go through apple’s servers when apps are in the background and not running. That is why you need to allow the app to run in the background in the settings app. 

4 minutes ago, ummgood said:

You are right. If you go to settings app and chose the carnival hub settings you need to make sure that background app refresh is turned on. This is what allows it to update itself when you have it in the background. Not sure how this works on Android.

Also push notifications for all apps go through apple’s servers when apps are in the background and not running. That is why you need to allow the app to run in the background in the settings app. 

The comments you're quoting are almost 3 years old. The Hub app and chat feature worked differently back then. Those discussions aren't necessarily relevant to today's version of the app.

For what it's worth, I always leave the Hub app running in the background, but I have Background App Refresh completely turned off on my iPhone, which disables it for all apps. Granted, I don't use Hub chat, but the information within the Hub app still updates in the background and I still receive alerts for the Fun Times activities that I've marked as favorite. Background App Refresh does not need to be turned on for apps to actually update themselves in the background. Background App Refresh simply streamlines that process by adding intelligence to help make it more efficient.

On 4/1/2017 at 10:46 AM, Alaskan Joe said:

I have heard (never used) but on Carnival ships whatever your text ringer is that is what the HUB app will play when you get a message. Now I was just on a princess cruise over Christmas '16, and their app (same idea) did NOT notify you. You did not have to have the app open staring at it, but it did NOT notify you.

Same thing with us on Princess. Really made the app useless.

12 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

The comments you're quoting are almost 3 years old. The Hub app and chat feature worked differently back then. Those discussions aren't necessarily relevant to today's version of the app.

For what it's worth, I always leave the Hub app running in the background, but I have Background App Refresh completely turned off on my iPhone, which disables it for all apps. Granted, I don't use Hub chat, but the information within the Hub app still updates in the background and I still receive alerts for the Fun Times activities that I've marked as favorite. Background App Refresh does not need to be turned on for apps to actually update themselves in the background. Background App Refresh simply streamlines that process by adding intelligence to help make it more efficient.

Oh sorry someone bumped it so I thought it was newer.

I have found that sometimes if you don't have that turned on the iPhone can bump things out of memory and then it won't get updates until you turn that on.  My car uses the phone as its key so it is obvious to me when it happens.  I could be wrong but turning that setting on helps prevent that from happening.  With that feature on if my car stops responding to the phone then I need a reboot.

Edited by ummgood