minisuite upgrade on the gem

poona1

Incidentally, does anyone know if its worth it to upgrade to minisuites as I keep hearing the guarantee minisuites might not be in a good location....for example, on the gem all on deck 11 below the pool and buffet...thanks

Personally not worth the upgrade just for the larger bathroom because you are giving up your choice of where the cabin is located.

It isn't just a larger bathroom on the Jewel class ships, but I'd agree that losing the choice of cabins outweighs the benefits (for us at least).

The mini-suites on Jewel Class are about 218-231 sq ft + 54 sq ft of balcony. Their balcony cabins are about 162-167 sq ft + 38 sq ft of balcony. So besides a larger balcony (extra 16 sq ft), you also get 51-69 sq ft of extra space. Even a bigger bathroom (a bath tub vs a walk-in shower) takes up some of the extra square footage, you still get quite a bit of extra space inside the cabin. The mini-suites can fit a double sofa bed, while the balcony cabins can only fit a single sofa bed. There's also a curtain you can draw to separate the beds and sofa sitting area in the mini-suites.

The mini-suites on Jewel Class are about 218-231 sq ft + 54 sq ft of balcony. Their balcony cabins are about 162-167 sq ft + 38 sq ft of balcony. So besides a larger balcony (extra 16 sq ft), you also get 51-69 sq ft of extra space. There's also a curtain you can draw to separate the beds and sofa sitting area in the mini-suites.

This is correct. The bathroom is a bit deeper in length than the balcony cabin, but the layout is the same. You do have to step over the tub to get to the shower which is not easy for us shorter people.

When we were on the Gem in November, the cabin had not been updated. The carpet was really gross and the furnishings were worn out. Unless, NCL has finally updated these cabins on deck 11, I wouldn't bother with an upgrade.

We just got off the Gem. Had a mini suite on deck 11- mid ship port side. Nice room but the bathroom is tight. In the future I would downgrade to a balcony for the reason is the bathtub is rather deep and my old legs had a little difficulty getting in and out to shower. No issue with noise level. We were under on of the kids programs but they shut down around 11 so no real issue.

Just off the Gem 3/19. Loved my mini suite. Loved the tub, even though I didn't take a bath, it made shaving legs so much easier.

Loved the large sofa, which was replaced with a brand new one while we were on the ship, and loved the larger balcony.

If I was awake, I could hear chairs moving around from deck 12 but it wasn't loud enough to keep me awake.

I had a mini suite on the Jewel and deliberately chose forward cabin 11502 because is is located under the spa. That means there was no noise from above. I would not upgrade to a mini suite because it is not really a "suite." You get none of the suite perks -- only a bathtub.