Norwegian Newbie

nidaco

Good Morning! I just booked my family's first Norwegian cruise. We have been on many cruises on other lines (RC &Carnival) but we wanted to sail another cruise line. We will be sailing on the Escape June 2018 which goes to Bermuda. I booked two connecting interiors on deck 13 back of ship and I am not concerned about the rooms. We were able to pick the free drink package (plus gratuities) for the four of us. The Norwegian Rep was very patient with me and answered many of my questions. But of course I still have ?'s about the ship and hoping some of you would give your tips, opinions, experiences, etc. Needless to say we are very excited to sail this beautiful looking ship. Our philosophy is to make the best of any situation on a ship. So here are my questions/topics:

1. Is there an adult area only like Carnival and RC? Is it included or do we have to pay extra?

2. Is there a thermal spa package or is it included?

3. Sun is NOT my friend...so where is the best place for shade when lying on a lounge? Which area is the least crowded for lounge chairs. We do not have to be near the pool?

4. Best time to go to the main dining rooms to eat? Not the specialty restaurants.

5. Which specialty restaurants are open for lunch? What are the specialty restaurants?

6. Please explain the entertainment (shows, etc). Do I need to book early?

7. Best bar/lounge to hang out in during the evening

8. My son want to know how the pizza is ....

9. What is the deal with room service?

10. How is the live music/bands. We love to listen and dance to live bands. Is there a latin band aboard?

Any tips, what to do and what to avoid would be appreciated.

Thanks so much and happy sailing!

Nicole

When are you booked? We are going June 2018 too but I'd have to look exactly when - it is like the 2nd week.

We've been on BA but not Escape. Pizza on NCL seems to vary the most in terms of food.

Adults only area would be Vibe but limited to a set number of people and you must get on in the first waves to get a pass.

See my answers below in red. I didn't answer questions to which I had no answer. Hope this helps a tiny bit.

--Michael

Good Morning! I just booked my family's first Norwegian cruise. We have been on many cruises on other lines (RC &Carnival) but we wanted to sail another cruise line. We will be sailing on the Escape June 2018 which goes to Bermuda. I booked two connecting interiors on deck 13 back of ship and I am not concerned about the rooms. We were able to pick the free drink package (plus gratuities) for the four of us. The Norwegian Rep was very patient with me and answered many of my questions. But of course I still have ?'s about the ship and hoping some of you would give your tips, opinions, experiences, etc. Needless to say we are very excited to sail this beautiful looking ship. Our philosophy is to make the best of any situation on a ship. So here are my questions/topics:

1. Is there an adult area only like Carnival and RC? Is it included or do we have to pay extra? Spice H2O is adults only before 6 pm.

3. Sun is NOT my friend...so where is the best place for shade when lying on a lounge? Which area is the least crowded for lounge chairs. We do not have to be near the pool?

4. Best time to go to the main dining rooms to eat? Not the specialty restaurants. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes, so I'm not sure. Also, I've never gone right when they open, when there might be a line.

5. Which specialty restaurants are open for lunch? What are the specialty restaurants? Someone can correct me, but I don't think any of the specialties are open for lunch, except for Cagney's for suite guests. Wait, Margaritaville is open for lunch.

6. Please explain the entertainment (shows, etc). Do I need to book early? I would say yes, because we couldn't get into any of them while on the ship. However, I have read that there a lot of no-shows, so you could take your chance lining up to fill those seats.

7. Best bar/lounge to hang out in during the evening We liked the Atrium bar, although it can be noisy with all the events going on in the Atrium.

8. My son want to know how the pizza is ....

10. How is the live music/bands. We love to listen and dance to live bands. Is there a latin band aboard?

Any tips, what to do and what to avoid would be appreciated.

Thanks so much and happy sailing!

Nicole

Edited by numberguy
correction of mistake

See my answers below in red. I didn't answer questions to which I had no answer. Hope this helps a tiny bit.

--Michael

Others can correct me as I still have about 60 days until my first NCL cruise but Spice H2O is adult only until 5 or 6 then kids are allowed in during the evening partying. Spice is free of charge to. Just wanted to put out what I have read in this fourm the past few months.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Others can correct me as I still have about 60 days until my first NCL cruise but Spice H2O is adult only until 5 or 6 then kids are allowed in during the evening partying. Spice is free of charge to. Just wanted to put out what I have read in this fourm the past few months.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

You're right--I got it wrong. I've corrected my previous response, and I appreciate the reminder.

--Michael

I haven't been on that ship so can't answer most of your questions, but tackled two for you. :)

It is not included. You can purchase a weekly pass (price will depend on ship and length of cruise. I've paid as low as $139 and as much as $179. It's slightly less expensive if you purchase ahead of time. The booking window will open 90 days before your cruise. I've had a spa pass on each of my NCL cruises and I highly recommend it!

Not sure what your question is here but guessing you're asking about the service charge...??. It's $7.95 per order except for continental breakfast. Tip is not included. I don't personally ever order room service so can't comment on speed or quality, etc.

1. Spice H2O is adult only and no charge. VIBE beach club is adult only with limited passes and cost extra.

2. Depends on room type. Spa and Haven Spa have it included. Others pay

3. The Waterfront has shade, padded seating, and isn't crowded during the day.

4. Anytime. Later dining will have less wait.

5. Pinchos Tapas and Margaritaville.

6. You should

7. Any are good. It depends on what theme suits you.

8. I actually didn't try it. Kids liked it, though.

9. Continental breakfast is no charge during breakfast hours. Otherwise (unless in a suite), there is a service charge plus cost of items (if applicable).

Unlike Carnival, there is no dedicated pizza stand. You have to find it in the buffet area. Quality-wise it is about the same, but much less selection.

Have lunch at O'sheehan's your 1st day-It`s a great bar-even has a bowling alley. Their Reubin sandwich is great! Wings and nachos are pretty good as well.

We are platinum CCL, but have come to enjoy the NCL product-2 reasons: free booze and the fish always swim towards the bow!

I haven't been on that ship so can't answer most of your questions, but tackled two for you. :)

What exactly are you paying for with the spa pass? Free use of some things? I'm assuming it doesn't include anything complimentary as far as spa treatments. It seems $$ if it is just to use a sauna and thermal pool. Is there a private outdoor pool like Vibe? Am I missing something?

What exactly are you paying for with the spa pass? Free use of some things? I'm assuming it doesn't include anything complimentary as far as spa treatments. It seems $$ if it is just to use a sauna and thermal pool. Is there a private outdoor pool like Vibe? Am I missing something?

NCL's description:

The Thermal Suite is a passage toward ultimate relaxation. Based on the concept of Turkish baths, where friends and family spent the day relaxing, the heat and cleansing therapies of our Thermal Suite experience include heated ceramic lounge chairs, a Thalasso Therapy Pool, hot tubs, steam room, sauna, and tropical rain showers. Different herbal steam and sauna grottos cleanse the body with gentle heat while a therapeutic heated-water pool bubbling effect will wash away stiff and sore joints. Take a dip in the Vitality Pool or enjoy a warm waterfall cascading onto your shoulders. Heated chaise lounges and tropical shower features make this both a relaxing and cleansing experience. A Salt Room is available on Breakaway, Getaway and Escape.

We did the tour on the Jade. Remember there being a cold pool, a hot pool, showers, saunas, and heated loungers.

Correct that the spa pass and the spa treatments are completely different. A spa treatment doesn't get you into this area and a spa pass doesn't get you a treatment. We didn't get the spa pass though the heated loungers were very comfortable. Think people do it to have access to the hot tubs and pool areas in a quite, kid-free location.

Yes, sauna and thermal pool as well as hot tubs, heated ceramic loungers. There are private areas for men and women and a larger co-ed area. How good it is depends on the ship. Epic's is great, Pearl's is very good, Jade's is so-so. Those are the only NCL ships I've been on. As PP said, no treatments are included. It's a quiet place to relax and revive. I have arthritis, so being able to soak after a long day in port is a life saver for me. On the Epic there's a sizable balcony overlooking the ship's wake with several loungers and a couple day beds. I spend quite a bit of time there reading and relaxing (I was in a studio cabin, so it was nice to have access to a balcony).