Cruising to Alaska.

BusterJr

To those of you who have cruised Alaska with Celebrity, is it feasible to get a balcony stateroom or can one see the sites just as well from the deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I went to Alaska in 2009 and had a balcony. I loved it and highly recommend it. Because I could look out whenever I felt like it is got to witness a glacier sheer off a side, a bald eagle fly right next to my balcony, humpback and killer whale. When I go back I am seriously thinking AFT facing balcony...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yes, you can see things just as well from the decks but the decks are often crowded so it becomes hard to get a good view. We did the northbound trip last year on the Millennium and really enjoyed our balcony the whole time. It was especially great at the Hubbard Glacier. Glacier views, room service breakfast, no need to go running around the ship and worrying about obstructed views .

I went to Alaska in 2009 and had a balcony. I loved it and highly recommend it. Because I could look out whenever I felt like it is got to witness a glacier sheer off a side, a bald eagle fly right next to my balcony, humpback and killer whale. When I go back I am seriously thinking AFT facing balcony...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We lucked out...have 138 that just opened up this weekend. 😁

We were also lucky to see whales on our Pacific coastal portside on the Infinity.

If you do a balcony, definitely do an aft. As you are sailing in Alaska, there will be a naturalist on board who speaks of the various sites and wildlife. If you are only on one side you may miss things that will not be there on the return trip. Upper decks are also excellent, lots of people do that.

I have not sailed on Celebrity to Alaska. However I have sailed to Alaska on both Princess and Oceania. Both times I had a balcony on starboard side as we traveled out of Vancouver. Have also sailed on the Solstice and Infinity on Aqua class which has the advantage of a overhang from the deck above. It does rain in Alaska and the overhang from the deck above gives you decent protection from the rain. Plus if you want to go to the outside deck you only have to go up one or two flights of stairs depending on the ship.

We sailed in ocean view cabin before. It was fine. But based on that experience we've booked a balcony for our upcoming cruise. Depending on your itinerary land may be in sight a lot of the time providing much more than a view of the ocean. It is daylight longer so again, more to view. Even if the weather is miserable you can still sit inside and see a lot of the sights.

I can't wait to have a balcony breakfast in Alaska!