Formal nights

bemardc

Suite Travels,

Just curious, Does Silversea still have mandatory "formal nights"?

Yes - they do have mandatory "formal nights" but I believe that you can wear a jacket and slacks in La Terrazza (misspelled)

I terms of reporting "second hand" information, if the Regent passenger cannot report on his/her own, I place little credibility on their experience. In terms of Dress Code (off topic), Regent was the first luxury cruise line that implemented a less formal dress code. If someone "got away" with dressing in jeans, it was an oversight. And, to assume that younger passengers will change the dress code is a stretch. It is more likely that the luxury line dress codes will give younger passengers an opportunity to dress up.

I disagree with you TC. Younger people who are well off professionals will want to leave the tie and tux if they even own one at home. The dress codes will evolve over time and that is a fact of fashion like it or not.

Miles

I can only speak for the younger generation that I know personally. All of them own a suit and tie and are having fun going out dressed up for the first time in their lives. While many things change in this world, good taste will never go away. Men wore suits in the 20's (1920's) and still wear them ...... almost 100 years later. From what we have witnessed on Regent, few people have adopted jeans and a sports jacket as "formal wear". Obviously this is your opinion and only time will tell what the future will bring.

Overall, I would agree somewhat with the guys mode of dress, it has been changing, but very slowly. However, these days as much as women may not show for dinner in jeans, they may have very tight leggings on with that nice top. Problem is they don't look all that great in the leggings and I don't think Regent stops them from wearing them. (Regent is not United!)

I rather see a guy in tailored jeans, a sports jacket and a great pair of boots at any age than a over weight women in leggings and ballet slippers. I don't care how cute the top is!

I agree about the leggings on some women look so tight and don't have the body to wear them. Ballet shoes are not what I call elegant footwear.

Dress jeans are more accepted paired with a jacket tie or no tie. I see more people in offices in jeans and that includes many professional people.

Have a look at some here.

http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/sports-jacket-with-jeans/

Miles

Overall, I would agree somewhat with the guys mode of dress, it has been changing, but very slowly. However, these days as much as women may not show for dinner in jeans, they may have very tight leggings on with that nice top. Problem is they don't look all that great in the leggings and I don't think Regent stops them from wearing them. (Regent is not United!)

I rather see a guy in tailored jeans, a sports jacket and a great pair of boots at any age than a over weight women in leggings and ballet slippers. I don't care how cute the top is!

When Oceania started permitting "dress jeans" it didn't take long before that became Levi's or overalls and, since we are speaking of weight, these were on overweight men with their stomachs hanging over (and no jacket as they are not required on Oceania or Regent).

In terms of how things are changing, the jeans and sport jacket look was "in" for a while as was wearing dress shirts outside of your slacks/jeans with a sports jacket. These styles seem to go in and out while nice slacks and a dress shirt, slacks and a blazer/sports jacket, a suit or even a tuxedo will likely remain in style forever.

IMO, it is up to the cruise line to set the dress code. Silversea is the most formal of the luxury cruise lines, it sounds like Crystal permits dress jeans and Regent is "Elegant Casual" - not permitting dress jeans but some people find a way to get away with it (most people don't even try).

I disagree with you TC. Younger people who are well off professionals will want to leave the tie and tux if they even own one at home. The dress codes will evolve over time and that is a fact of fashion like it or not.

Miles

Exactly right. The dress police are on the losing side, thankfully.

You just wait a few years TC. You will see more changes as the the older demographics die off. I don't care who you know at HQ you can stomp your feet in protest but change you will not stop.

You have always prided yourself with knowing officers and alike. I have better things to do on our cruises for sure and we don't need pictures or recognition on our milestones.

Miles

Ballet shoes are not what I call elegant footwear.

I read this with a sinking heart. Am I really going to be looked down upon for wearing flat shoes/sandals?

Owing to a bad unusual broken ankle, coupled with a bad hip, killer shoes and sandals are out, most of the time and if I can wear them, it doesn't usually last long, so I tend to opt for nice sparkly flat sandals, or sparkly ballet shoes, but rest assured, they won't be teamed with skin tight leggings, but with a nice long dress ;)

Oh my, Boatsman's Lady, you will not be "looked down on". When the seas are rough, especially, I also wear flat shoes, albeit they are dressy flats. There are only a few people on this board who tend to "Lord it over" other on dress. It is much better to not have an injury that impose high heels on yourself.

My wife has a closet full of gorgeous designer heels, but as a result of a car accident several years back she can barely wear them. Her 'go-to' shoes these days are her Ferragamo flats, which look nice and don't cause her pain. There shouldn't be any problem wearing nice flats.

Oh my, Boatsman's Lady, you will not be "looked down on". When the seas are rough, especially, I also wear flat shoes, albeit they are dressy flats. There are only a few people on this board who tend to "Lord it over" other on dress. It is much better to not have an injury that impose high heels on yourself.

My wife has a closet full of gorgeous designer heels, but as a result of a car accident several years back she can barely wear them. Her 'go-to' shoes these days are her Ferragamo flats, which look nice and don't cause her pain. There shouldn't be any problem wearing nice flats.

Thank you for your speedy reassurances. I'll go back to looking forward to our cruise even if it is months and months away

Thank you for your speedy reassurances. I'll go back to looking forward to our cruise even if it is months and months away

Many ladies wear flat shoes and/or sandals. While not necessary to wear dressy sandals, there are some really comfortable sandals that are quite beautiful. I had too wear flat shoes for a long time and never had a problem in terms of the dress code. This should be one less thing to think about........ just look forward to your cruise. :D

I have not sailed on Regent and am unlikely to do so if the fashion police are out and about. There seems to be a big emphasis on rules and regulations.

Do these pants make me look fat? Are these shoes too flat or will they be ok if I carry a medical certificate? Does my top have enough bling?

I can imagine changing 5 times before I have the courage to leave my room.

Really and truly, what does it matter. Cruise lines have dress codes which should be taken as suggestions but people should not have to pass muster before they can move about the ship. If someone is really inappropriately dressed (which I'm sure doesn't happen often), they should not be made to feel like a second class citizen. They may have made a genuine mistake and are not trying to "push anyone's buttons ".

I have seen formal outfits and elegant clasual outfits which pass all the rules but IMO look less than spectacular.

Stop worrying about what people wear and enjoy their company.

(I expect to get flamed, after all, what would I know, I haven't even sailed with Regent!)

Joc123 - The posters ask questions and we answer them. As long as people follow Regent's stated policy, there won't be an issue onboard. Regent's dress code is probably the easiest to follow on any luxury cruise line.

For better or worse, this discussion is repeated constantly on all luxury cruise lines.......

I have not sailed on Regent and am unlikely to do so if the fashion police are out and about. There seems to be a big emphasis on rules and regulations.

Do these pants make me look fat? Are these shoes too flat or will they be ok if I carry a medical certificate? Does my top have enough bling?

I can imagine changing 5 times before I have the courage to leave my room.

Really and truly, what does it matter. Cruise lines have dress codes which should be taken as suggestions but people should not have to pass muster before they can move about the ship. If someone is really inappropriately dressed (which I'm sure doesn't happen often), they should not be made to feel like a second class citizen. They may have made a genuine mistake and are not trying to "push anyone's buttons ".

I have seen formal outfits and elegant clasual outfits which pass all the rules but IMO look less than spectacular.

Stop worrying about what people wear and enjoy their company.

(I expect to get flamed, after all, what would I know, I haven't even sailed with Regent!)

You are not going to get flamed by me for sure. It really is only a couple of people on this board that emphasize the rules. We have friends that sail Regent and Seabourn and they look sharp in dress jeans and a sports jacket and have never had issues on either line. The same goes for Crystal that we sail on mostly. Have you seen some of the women that have no business wearing leggings but they can wear them after 6PM? Some of these people who complain should look in the mirror themselves.

Miles

It is important to note that if your "dress jeans" are noticed on Regent, you may be sent back to your suite to change. Unfortunately, people that do not sail on Regent do not understand how strict their dress code has become. Regent was the first luxury cruise line to go "Elegant Casual" and they do not want it to slip to anything less. Given that Regent's dress code is easy to follow, one shouldn't be put in the embarrassing position to be turned away from the dining room.

For the love of God, can we quit beating this topic to death? Regent's policy is spelled out on their website. It's easy to follow. What conforms to the policy and what is tasteful and/or appropriate doesn't always overlap.

FWIW, I disagree that there are 'fashion police' on board Regent ships - rather, there are people who enforce the policies laid out in plain English on the website. If you show up in Compass Rose at 7:00 PM in shorts or jeans, you'll most likely be asked to change. If you show up in leggings or flats on with an untucked shirt, you'll be served. It really is that simple.

For the love of God, can we quit beating this topic to death? Regent's policy is spelled out on their website. It's easy to follow. What conforms to the policy and what is tasteful and/or appropriate doesn't always overlap.

FWIW, I disagree that there are 'fashion police' on board Regent ships - rather, there are people who enforce the policies laid out in plain English on the website. If you show up in Compass Rose at 7:00 PM in shorts or jeans, you'll most likely be asked to change. If you show up in leggings or flats on with an untucked shirt, you'll be served. It really is that simple.

Bill, you and I posted at the same time and, once again, I cannot agree with you more. There are no 'fashion police" onboard Regent ships - the dress code is easy to follow ....... hasn't this gone on long enough?

Well our two handsome friends dress very smartly and on casual night have never had an issue with being admitted to CR and they have at least ten years with the line and nobody knows they are wearing black jeans with a sports jacket and sometimes with a tie.

Seabourn has changed as well as Crystal. Silversea still very formal.

TC, you are the one that brings up the dress code rules and others have not agreed with you. Are you on the board of Regent or advisory committee?

PS. If Iever sail Regent I will wear my leggings knowing that they are acceptable

Miles

PS. If Iever sail Regent I will wear my leggings knowing that they are acceptable

Miles

As I said earlier, acceptable and tasteful don't always overlap. You want to wear leggings, go right ahead, Robin Hood. Just please give me some advance notice so I can dine in my cabin that night, okay? Thanks in advance...

PS - technically, only slacks are acceptable for men.

The recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual resort wear. Formal and semi-formal attire is optional on sailings of 16 nights or more. Dinner dress includes skirt, or slacks with blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes are not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required.

Seems pretty simple to me. How there can be so much discussion on this point is beyond me - unless people are just trying to stir the pot incessantly.

Edited by UUNetBill

So glad I got on to this thread. We are thinking of an 18 nt. over Christmas to Hawaii and dressing up is not what we want to do. I now feel comfortable to bring our SoCal casual dinner attire and no cocktail attire. By the time we leave the holiday parties will have worn out enjoyment of "dressing up".

I just read my former employer AA does not permit employees to wear leggings in First or Business but passengers can...go figure. I personally don't think they are attractive on women and way too casual.

Here is an article on leggings.

http://www.whowhatwear.com/leggings-as-pants

Really acceptable after 6PM. Yuch

Miles

Edited by Suite Travels