man overboard!

jennyb1265

UPDATE: At 5:57p tonight, after 29 hours and 1,000+ sq miles, the US Coast Guard suspended its search. More here.

Part of USCG statement:

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Mr. Scott during this extremely difficult time,” said Christopher Eddy, search and rescue mission coordinator for the Coast Guard Seventh District command center. “Suspending a search is one of the most difficult decisions we have to make and it is made with great care and consideration.”

A truly sad end to this event. I will pray in Church tomorrow for him and his family.

I read the USCG statement.

I wonder: would there be any benefit for whatever authorities might be appropriate to investigate this incident and determine why this man decided to end his life so? Could the cruise industry and the USCG learn anything from such an investigation?

For such a newly wed to make such a choice, there just has to be another side of this story that I think needs investigating.

I don't have a problem with gallows humor, per se, but some of the comments here are pretty tacky.

Obviously anyone who commits suicide has more problems than a marital spat. I think travel can sometimes put unexpected stresses on people, being out of their comfort zones, dealing with crowds, all the walking and standing in queues, etc etc--haven't we all seen the absolutely miserable family or couple, or the crying kids?--and if all of those hit someone who is already unstable, AND they are presented with a quick and easy suicide option--this is the result. This also isn't the first time we've heard of someone ending their life after a fight with a loved one on a ship. I think the problems are already there, and the whole thing plus the great wide ocean (and possibly alcohol in great quantities) is just a recipe for disaster.

RIP.

Has anyone ever been on a ship while/where someone went overboard?

I agree with you, many people are just idiotic. I see kids sit on railings. It's sad really.

My first cruise was in the Destiny in 2012. The first night the alarm as sounded at about 12:30 am. They announce a lady had gone overboard. They were going back to the last location that they knew she was onboard. The announce came at 3:30am that they had found her ALIVE. The next day we went to Key West because she needed additional medical attention.

It was very surreal living it. But it was a true miracle that they found her in the middle of the night and she survived.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Alarm!!?! Is there an actual man overboard alarm or is it just an announcement? The closest to an emergency *knock on wood* I have come on cruises was on my last one where a passenger needed to be evacuated due to medical.

There was an alarm! I don't remember the sound or what was said. I was sleeping and I remember wondering if it was normal! LoL

I just got back from the Norwegian Epic on 3/25 and there were THREE different medical emergencies during those 7 days

What I'm always so shocked about is how in the world can the Coast Guard transport a passenger if the ship is not in US waters and or not registered in the US??

:confused::confused:

?? Why wouldn't they be able to perform a medical or emergency transport if needed and requested.??

Just wondering.

bosco

Oh boy! I know some lines have certain "words" that are coded to mean something totally different than what they actually are.

What I'm always so shocked about is how in the world can the Coast Guard transport a passenger if the ship is not in US waters and or not registered in the US??

:confused::confused:

I'm sure they are certain criteria/stipulations that fit this scenario obviously.

They do for the most part sail from US Ports, so that very well could play a major factor.

I was on this ship. 5am, fast asleep, over the loud speaker "man overboard". Supposed to arrive in Nassau that day and be in port 10-6. We circled and searched for 8 hours. There was also the Norwegian Jade and a DCL(not sure which) nearby, that assisted and spent the day searching. We were required to keep searching until the US Coast Guard released us which they did around 1:00pm. Arrived in Nassau at 5:30pm spent the night there and needed to be all aboard the next day at 1:30pm.

Sad incident, there were a lot of rumors going around the ship about the man and what happened so I can't give any factual info about that.

I was on this ship. 5am, fast asleep, over the loud speaker "man overboard". Supposed to arrive in Nassau that day and be in port 10-6. We circled and searched for 8 hours. There was also the Norwegian Jade and a DCL(not sure which) nearby, that assisted and spent the day searching. We were required to keep searching until the US Coast Guard released us which they did around 1:00pm. Arrived in Nassau at 5:30pm spent the night there and needed to be all aboard the next day at 1:30pm.

Sad incident, there were a lot of rumors going around the ship about the man and what happened so I can't give any factual info about that.

Yep, I was on board, as well.

Kind of surreal. I spent 20 years in the Navy and never had an actual "man overboard". I'm on board a Carnival cruise ship for less than a day and get one.

The rumor is that the guy was having a pretty serious fight with his wife. When the guy went over the balcony, the wife ran into the passageway screaming. When security entered the room it was, by some accounts, absolutely trashed. Reportedly, the guy didn't know how to swim.

Of course, this all came second hand from various members of the crew, so it may or may not be accurate info. What is accurate, though, is that Dude took a dive and wasn't found...

Mhm... I've heard that each cruise line handles it differently. Some have special tones or phrases and I guess just say plain "man overboard"!

I'm pretty sure that all cruise lines; all maritime vessels, in fact, use the term "man overboard". In fact, I'm sure of it.

The last thing you want is ambiguity or confusion. You want every single possible pair of eyes scanning the water. If I'm the Captain of a ship who just lost someone over the side, I want my passengers looking over the side. That's not going to happen if I use some cryptic phrase known only by the crew.

Besides, when you follow up "MAN OVERBOARD!" with loud whistle blasts and drastic maneuvering, there's little chance you're keeping it a secret. Add to that the raising of the "Oscar" flag and, well, it's pretty obvious what's happening...

We were on the Norwegian Jade and got involved in the search. There was also a Disney ship involved.

I was on the boat that the guy jumped from. We were curious the whole time, what did they tell you on your boat as to why we were stopped in the water?

A FB said they just got married April 1st. Got in an argument with his wife and jumped off.

According to one of the news sites, they have been married a little over a year (I think it said November 2015). Renewed their vows 4/1 and took a delayed honeymoon.

So tragic.

I was on the boat that the guy jumped from. We were curious the whole time, what did they tell you on your boat as to why we were stopped in the water?

We were on the Disney Wonder and woke up to an announcement at 6:50 am that there was a man overboard from another ship and we were requested to search. We searched until we were released at 2. We had a sea day instead of port in Nassau. It really freaked out my kids. My youngest kept asking questions about our boat and if it was ok. This incident really bothered them.

As a side note, some -- perhaps all -- Carnival ships are equipped with detection equipment that can detect when a person falls over the side (and I think, the aft). You can tell if your ship has this system installed by looking along the side in the back for overhanging devices marked "FLIR." It's an infrared detection system and we were showed the display during a Behind the Fun tour. Made me feel slightly better, at least.

Code Oscar is used to alert crew of man overboard. Just as Code Adam is used for missing child, code Bright Star for a death on board, code Alpha is a medical emergency, code Bravo is a fire.

Code bright star is pretty creepy. It couldn't be something dark? Like code black or code 911? Freaks me out!

Very sad...I knew when I read the story it had to be someone from a balcony.

Just curious: When the cruise experiences an unexpected travel delay due to something like this, do guests receive any comps or anything?

Why would you even consider a comp for this?