No more adult only aft pools?

I spoke with someone handling a complaint I had and he said Carnival has gotten a lot of complaints about no adult pool and they are rethinking it.

Good to hear! I made sure to tell my PVP as well. Not that he can really do anything directly, but he is one of their top guys there so maybe he can let them know his clients aren't happy.

Good to hear! I made sure to tell my PVP as well. Not that he can really do anything directly, but he is one of their top guys there so maybe he can let them know his clients aren't happy.

PVPs are Carnival's salesforce - I'm also in sales. Every sales staff attends endless meetings, where feedback from clients - or prospective clients is always shared. The more Carnival employees made aware of how bad a decision the aft pool call was the better the chances they reverse it. Everyone remembers when Coke changed their 100 year old recipe. It's the most famous decision reversal in business. They were compelled to re-think their decision. Carnival fouled this decision up completely. They failed to anticipate the reaction, and to ignore what their customers are telling them would be a huge mistake. Carnival will not be in our future vacation plans unless they reserve at least one pool for adults.

we got the drink package on our ncl cruise November! was charged 200 dollars for the grats.

Yep. One of the many reasons I don't like NCL. I wouldn't even drink enough to cover the $100 per person gratuities. I don't care that they charge it but don't lie and call it free either.

PVPs are Carnival's salesforce - I'm also in sales. Every sales staff attends endless meetings, where feedback from clients - or prospective clients is always shared. The more Carnival employees made aware of how bad a decision the aft pool call was the better the chances they reverse it. Everyone remembers when Coke changed their 100 year old recipe. It's the most famous decision reversal in business. They were compelled to re-think their decision. Carnival fouled this decision up completely. They failed to anticipate the reaction, and to ignore what their customers are telling them would be a huge mistake. Carnival will not be in our future vacation plans unless they reserve at least one pool for adults.

Even though I mentioned this problem in my last cruise survey i decided to write my PVP as well just to add a little more heat to the fire.

Not trying to change the subject, but since a few of your brought up PVP's, I thought I'd get some quick input. Do PVP's not correspond over email? I mean, ours included his email address in the email he sent us to introduce himself, so I assumed it was ok. For us, it's just easier to communicate that way than trying to reach them by phone during their business hours. The first time I emailed him, he completely ignored it. The second time, he told me to call him. I couldn't at that time, but when I finally was able to a couple days later, he said he was in his car on his way home (even though it was during his posted business hours). He told me to call him back and leave a voicemail or email him. So a couple days later I emailed him. He emailed me back to say he tried to call us. We weren't home and we don't give out our cell numbers. What the heck, he told me to email him when he was in his car, but when I did, he tried calling instead of replying. He's taken the time to reply via email twice, but only to tell us to call him or that he tried to call. Why not just answer the dang questions? We wondered if they don't want anything in writing just in case something changes later. So can they not communicate via email? And can we switch PVP's, because I'm not happy with this one?

Not trying to change the subject, but since a few of your brought up PVP's, I thought I'd get some quick input. Do PVP's not correspond over email? I mean, ours included his email address in the email he sent us to introduce himself, so I assumed it was ok. For us, it's just easier to communicate that way than trying to reach them by phone during their business hours. The first time I emailed him, he completely ignored it. The second time, he told me to call him. I couldn't at that time, but when I finally was able to a couple days later, he said he was in his car on his way home (even though it was during his posted business hours). He told me to call him back and leave a voicemail or email him. So a couple days later I emailed him. He emailed me back to say he tried to call us. We weren't home and we don't give out our cell numbers. What the heck, he told me to email him when he was in his car, but when I did, he tried calling instead of replying. He's taken the time to reply via email twice, but only to tell us to call him or that he tried to call. Why not just answer the dang questions? We wondered if they don't want anything in writing just in case something changes later. So can they not communicate via email? And can we switch PVP's, because I'm not happy with this one?

Yes - you can switch PVP's anytime. We email ours ALL the time. Call and request a new one!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are two other alternatives......don't sail NCL and/or don't drink (I do both of those). ;)

As for getting the perk on an inside cabin, that must be a new change because the last time I sailed on NCL in 2015 you had to book OV or higher to get the perk. Even my inside cabin in Nov 2016 which I ended up canceling 94 days out didn't come with a perk when I booked in March 2016.

Did a solo cabin on the Escape last summer and an inside last January, had the drinks package on both cruises and even had the specialty dinner as well on the January cruise since I had booked it prior to 12/31/15. A great value to me, obviously not if you're not a drinker.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I haven't ever sent him an email, but I am his friend on FB and belong to his Carnival page. If I need anything or have a friend that does I either call him or FB Messenger him. I always get a response.

Did a solo cabin on the Escape last summer and an inside last January, had the drinks package on both cruises and even had the specialty dinner as well on the January cruise since I had booked it prior to 12/31/15. A great value to me, obviously not if you're not a drinker.

I have done two cruises on the Breakaway in the past two years (studio cabin) and received the drink package both times (2015 & 2016) so I don't know what Computer Nerd is talking about when he says he wasn't offered the perk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Below is "meat" of the response I received from Carnival regarding their changing the aft adult pools to family friendly.

"This change was made based on the high volume of families onboard at this time of year. This was a difficult decision to make and we knew it would be hard to please both sides. Although, we very much appreciate the view of those who like having an adults only pool option, we believe that our decision provides a good balance for both audiences. With limited exception, our ships have adults only Serenity decks which we very much encourage those guests who want a kid-free environment to enjoy. We will continue evaluating our plan going forward with respect to the aft pools, and will provide additional details if any further changes occur."

Below is "meat" of the response I received from Carnival regarding their changing the aft adult pools to family friendly.

"This change was made based on the high volume of families onboard at this time of year. This was a difficult decision to make and we knew it would be hard to please both sides. Although' date=' we very much appreciate the view of those who like having an adults only pool option, we believe that our decision provides a good balance for both audiences. With limited exception, our ships have adults only Serenity decks which we very much encourage those guests who want a kid-free environment to enjoy. We will continue evaluating our plan going forward with respect to the aft pools, and will provide additional details if any further changes occur."

As if Serenity could get any more crowded.

I'm a parent with two kids and I think opening up the adult pools to families is really really dumb. Adults need their own space as much as kids and I think people will be able to tolerate kids more if they know they have places to get away from them. I'd certainly not want to pay my hard earned cash to hang out with other people's kids on my vacation.

I have done two cruises on the Breakaway in the past two years (studio cabin) and received the drink package both times (2015 & 2016) so I don't know what Computer Nerd is talking about when he says he wasn't offered the perk.

There was a very brief window in which they did not offer it on solos and insides. Obviously it affected their numbers, because it was short lived. NCL made a decision and reversed it once it affected their revenue. Maybe Carnival will do the same with regards to the issue at hand in this thread.

As if Serenity could get any more crowded.

Crowded or not. For most ships, the Serenity area does not have a pool. That's why most people are upset about losing the adults only aft pool to the kids. A compromise needs to be found. That's why I suggested making these pools "family friendly" only during Summer, Christmas week and March break.

"This change was made based on the high volume of families onboard at this time of year. This was a difficult decision to make and we knew it would be hard to please both sides. Although' date=' we very much appreciate the view of those who like having an adults only pool option, we believe that our decision provides a good balance for both audiences. With limited exception, our ships have adults only Serenity decks which we very much encourage those guests who want a kid-free environment to enjoy. We will continue evaluating our plan going forward with respect to the aft pools, and will provide additional details if any further changes occur."

"...we knew it would be hard to please both sides." Before the change, were a lot of parents complaining that they needed another pool for their children? I sure never saw such complaints on this board or the old Carnival forum. Seems to me like a majority of parents were already pleased with the pool situation, even when the aft pool was adults-only. Most of the parents were pleased, the adults who like the adults-only pool were pleased...it was easy to please both sides, Carnival, until you made the change.

Good balance, my butt. Only 2 or 3 ships have serenity areas with pools (plus the Conquest coming this fall). That is most certainly not a good balance.

A compromise needs to be found. That's why I suggested making these pools "family friendly" only during Summer, Christmas week and March break.
Many of us who disagree with the new policy are parents with school-aged children who have to go during the times you mentioned to keep our kids from missing school. We love our kids, but we also enjoy a break once in a while. So making them family friendly only when school is out isn't a compromise to us.

I email my PVP all the time ... I have probably referred 50 or more people to him and I always send him a message to let him know that someone will be callling him and give him their name and all ...... Anthony has always emailed me back :)

You can communicate with a PVP pretty much anyway you want. I usually text or email with mine.....rarely talk on the phone. And yes, you can change PVPs anytime you want. Trick is finding a good PVP. I love mine but unfortunately we can't share PVP names here.

I'm saying I booked in 2014 for 2 weeks on the Sun in Alaska for Jun 2015 (Inside cabin, loved Alaska) and I booked in Mar 2016 for a Jade cruise in Nov 2016 (Inside cabin, cancelled cruise) and both times (booking over the phone) I wasn't offered anything. I even asked (since it wasn't offered) and was told Inside cabins were not eligible for any perks, only OV and up. I thought that was made very clear in my previous post.

Crowded or not. For most ships, the Serenity area does not have a pool. That's why most people are upset about losing the adults only aft pool to the kids. A compromise needs to be found. That's why I suggested making these pools "family friendly" only during Summer, Christmas week and March break.

Serenity is already over crowded, pool or not, and on our cruises the adult only pool was also very crowded, and they made this move because the kids pool is over crowded.

The core problem is the ships, particularly the Dream and Vista class are over crowded.

The newer ships were designed with more Pax and fewer pools. Along the way, they've changed their booking policies so a couple can't book a trip or quad until the final days and have taken other steps to fill those 3rd and 4th berths.

Ropes courses and the like take up deck space and while they are neat in concept, they're usually things folks of all ages will do for less than an hour on a 7 day cruise and less if they have "been there and done that".

There is no compromise that will make everybody happy because there simply is not enough pool space to go around. And many of us said as much when the new ships came out.

Carnival is obviously aware of the issue of pool over crowding, but rather than design ships with more pools (or retrofit them in dry dock), they continue to exacerbate the issue by taking up huge swaths of deck space with things that do not delivery the same utility as the pools (probably because it attracts 1st timers).

So I think the outcry on this and other forums is healthy. Maybe Carnival will recognize the core problem and fix it instead of "rearranging the deck chairs" (and reserving them for toddlers).[emoji12]

My suggestion from the start has been to convert one side of the under utilized Lehnis to a kids zone. Would not take much to convert the seldom used hot tubs to kiddie pools and if they could part with a cabin or two on deck 6, they could even put a couple of decent slides from there down to the area.

They could market the cabins that overlook this area as family friendly so parents could keep an eye on their kids while enjoying their balconies, maybe even concentrate the trips and quads there and put the doubles on the other side.

Edited by nealstuber

pvp

email, txt on her cell, call cell or office, and occasionally she will be slow to respond but sometimes she's on a cruise, vacation, or like the other day she was OFF and visiting her son in jax, while we were headed to jax!

so, Id say you need another pvp, but it can take some time to develop a relationship and that is kind of what carnival wants, you don't have to be best buds, but you do want to feel like you can count on em in a pinch and they get paid to keep customers loyal, that does not mean you'll get freebies but you'll get good personal service, and good professional service

"...we knew it would be hard to please both sides." Before the change, were a lot of parents complaining that they needed another pool for their children? I sure never saw such complaints on this board or the old Carnival forum. Seems to me like a majority of parents were already pleased with the pool situation, even when the aft pool was adults-only. Most of the parents were pleased, the adults who like the adults-only pool were pleased...it was easy to please both sides, Carnival, until you made the change.

Good balance, my butt. Only 2 or 3 ships have serenity areas with pools (plus the Conquest coming this fall). That is most certainly not a good balance.

Many of us who disagree with the new policy are parents with school-aged children who have to go during the times you mentioned to keep our kids from missing school. We love our kids, but we also enjoy a break once in a while. So making them family friendly only when school is out isn't a compromise to us.

I see your point. My suggestion was to prevent the over-crowding of the main pool when there are much more than the usual number of children on board.