Loyalty program

jennymaxgirl

Our first Princess cruise was in 1995. At that time loyalty status was on a different system based on cruises only. Around 2000 the reward system was changed to it's current model and status was only based on cruises. Somewhere around 2008/2010 the system was changed to also include days.

Only been on Princess since 2007, and not saying you're wrong. My memory is vice versa, originally cruise days, with number of cruises subsequently added. In any case, especially with Princess adding a lot of shorter and super-short cruises, still seems odd that you get the same rewards for 15 one-day coastals as you do for 15 ten-day cruises.

Only been on Princess since 2007, and not saying you're wrong. My memory is vice versa, originally cruise days, with number of cruises subsequently added. In any case, especially with Princess adding a lot of shorter and super-short cruises, still seems odd that you get the same rewards for 15 one-day coastals as you do for 15 ten-day cruises.

And yet the OBC can be 20 one day cruises, but even two round the world (over 200 days) gets you diddly.

I checked my Princess records and publications. The way I stated was correct. Back in the 90's after the first cruise you became a Captain's Circle member, 2nd cruise you had First Officer status, 3rd cruise Captain status, then Admiral or Commodore status as you sailed on more cruises. We have the pins for Captains Circle and First Officer. Between April 1999 and April 2000, our 3rd Princess cruise, the system was changed to it's current model, but only based on number of cruises. Between 2007 and 2008 the system was modified to also count cruise days. It has since been modified to change cruise days to cruise credits, and some other changes have been made.

We only have 7 cruises completed with two more booked. We did take two short (4 day) cruises because that was all we could fit in with work but we definitely aren't in a huge hurry to make Elite and aren't trying to cram a lot of short cruises into our schedule in order to reach that level. So far our cruises have been:

10 days

15 days

4 days

10 days

4 days

17 days

7 days (although it was part of a 13 day connoisseur cruise tour)

Upcoming cruises are 28 days and 14 days. At this rate we will make Elite eventually but it may be a draw as to whether we make it on number of cruises or days at sea. I am always a bit surprised when I see people post that they only take the "longer" 7 day cruises. 4 days was crazy short and the 7 days after the land tour would have felt really short but for the fact we both came down with a killer cold (along with a large portion of the passengers) after boarding the ship.

As long as we get to cruise it really doesn't matter if we are Elite or not. When it happens we will do a very small happy dance but that will be about it. We both just feel so very happy that we are able to cruise.

Doing a quick calculation in my head (not terribly reliable), it seems to me that you are already Platinum. If I'm wrong, you can stop reading here:confused:. Anyway, Platinum is not that different than Elite, except I get the free mini-bar, laundry and a few other perks I don't use. I also don't drink so always swap out the minibar for the 2 coffee cards, which is my favorite of all perks and covers so much more than coffee. I do enjoy the free laundry although I always did my own prior to becoming Elite. The 10% off in the shops is also nice. I have NEVER used priority tender boarding, nor have I ever visited the Platinum/Elite evening gathering, and have rarely gone to the Captain's reception. I do wear my card on a lanyard, but not to brag, just because it's convenient. I look forward to the medallions so I don't demagnetize my card twice a day!

Anyway, my point was that I think you should try to boost your cruise count and reach Elite status before going on the two somewhat long sailings. You are on the West Coast, which has a ton of 1-3 day cruises and I think that you might just enjoy the 28 day a bit more as Elite. Heck, I've even considered moving to Florida if I retire to make it easier to cruise (sick, I know).

I reached Elite relatively quickly mainly because I am single and generally sail as a solo, giving me two cruise credits per sailing. Do I feel as if I cheated? No, I paid for 2 passengers with my fare. Princess just recently went back to the more reasonable fare for solo sailors, and that is fantastic.

No matter what you do, I know you will have wonderful cruises. You always have such a great attitude. I see you on the boards often and hope that we get to sail together someday.

Maureen

Princess just recently went back to the more reasonable fare for solo sailors, and that is fantastic.

what, what, what?! sorry to hijack this thread, but what, what, what?! i haven't seen this yet but its great news!