Fixed dining question

dutchiegirl

When I booked our cruise, our TA recommended late seating for our dining option. Since we are new to cruising, I was not really sure what the best option was. I will be cruising with my dh and my 15 year old son. What I am nervous about is that we are seated with only adults, and that my son has nobody around his age to sit with. Is it possible to request a table that includes teenagers or should I request to change to open seating? How many people are usually seated at a table?

In my experience when traveling with teenagers, they tend to "hang out" together and would rather skip the main dining room experience. Of course, as a parent, I wanted them at dinner. I would bet that finding a compatible family to accommodate your son would be a long shot. As to the seating, it depends on whether your family is night owls and plans to attend the after dinner entertainment as well as the times the ship leaves port at the various ports.

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquest 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

Seems like most families with children of any ages tend to have early seating for dinner. If you can change to early, you may have better luck for other children. Late seating begins about 8 or 8:15 and the entertainment is usually after dinner so the previous comment about night owls is very true.

Your TA can put in a request for table size, 4, 6, 8, or 10 people, and also to request a table with other children. No guarantees but sometimes these requests work.

I'm a mom who liked late seating with the kids. It eliminated the rushing back on port days; missing fun because we had to get ready for dinner.

We always requested a table just for our family but always got out at tables with other families. If there is a family with teens onboard I bet you'll be seated with them if you don't want a table for the 3 of you.

Fixed seating whether late or early, means you will be seated with same people each night, or a table for four for just your family. would think odds of being seated with family with teenager is very low. Where is your cruise and when is it sailing? Number of teenagers varies significantly from cruise to cruise. Think I would opt for open seating, he might meet another teenager and perhaps, two families could dine together.

When we travel with my father in law, we get a table for 4, even though it's just the 3 of us. (He's turning 80 this year, so we can't really comment on the teens program. ;) ) Depending on the number of courses you order, dinner will last between 60 and 90 minutes. Consider that "family time." There's plenty of time outside of one evening meal to meet people, have fun, etc.

Cruised with NCL, RCI and Celebrity. How difficult is it to get a table-for-two in the MDR when cruising with HA. Thanks all.

We've been able to have a two-top on all three of our HAL cruises. On the Zuiderdam last month I even requested a specific table in the dining room (first, second and third choices through my HAL PCC). We knew it was only a request and not guaranteed, but we were quite please to see that our first choice was granted.

They are like magicians....you won't be seated with only adults! No fear!

This is misleading. You may be seated with other teenagers or other families with children of any age and you may be seated with all adults. "They" are not magicians although they do try to seat you where you and your son will be comfortable, but please do not assume it is a given. You can always request a table change or go to the buffet or specialty restaurants a couple of nights. Even if you are at a table of all adults, dinner in the MDR usually is only about an hour and a half, 2 hours at the very most and your son can always excuse himself early if need be. It should not be a big problem. Have a great cruise! :D

On my cruise last year I was at a mixed table and a your 15 year old ended up sitting beside a 90 year old man horrible you may think .the man had the teenager totally transfixed with his tales from the war . Each night the young guy always sat with him age is but a number

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For our upcoming cruise in August on NA our TA tried in Feb when we booked to get us a table for 2 in the MDR early dining but told there was nothing available so we're now "open seating". We'll just go with that as it at least gives us some flexibility. Still plan to dine around 5:30 to 6 each night.

This looks like the right place to ask this...just booked on Westerdam, two top fixed early. Does anyone have a waiter/assistant team they would recommend? Our last cruise we did open seating and it took us til the 3rd week to find a waiter we liked and who really cared about his guests (his assistant, too). Also can someone recommend a good table or section? One night we were put at a mini table (really it was about 2/3rds the size of all the other 2 tops). This is the first time back with set dining after 6 cruises, so any help would be appreciated.

Rachel

next cruise Westerdam, 16 day Panama Canal East to West (I have to update my signature, obviously) :D

Ask for a four top for three. DH and I prefer fixed seating, but cruising is our time to be together and we prefer to dine alone. We've never had trouble getting a table for two during the late seating, I can't imagine it would be any different for three.