Something that annoys me!

PrettyGirl01

I never really got the whole Pirate thing? Yes, I know, we are on a ship, but the Pirates seem out of place on most of the cruises. Besides, we live in St. Augustine, FL and we see Pirates every day! If we wanted a picture with a Pirate, we can get one any time we want! LOL!
The only Pirates we've got are in Washington DC, and I didn't vote for them.

The other part of onboard pictures is the fun you can have in a "search and destroy" mission, where, besides finding your own photos, you can get a chuckle out of the more amusing photos of others. Then you can choose to buy your own photo or put in the "not Wanted" box.

The only Pirates we've got are in Washington DC, and I didn't vote for them.

The other part of onboard pictures is the fun you can have in a "search and destroy" mission, where, besides finding your own photos, you can get a chuckle out of the more amusing photos of others. Then you can choose to buy your own photo or put in the "not Wanted" box.

That lost it's charm about 20 cruises ago. ;p

First and foremost, I love Princess! It's our favourite brand Never had a bad cruise in 15 years.

However there is one thing that is a nuisance, not sure if anyone else agrees!

We rarely eat in the MDR anymore, but we do go to the CG. Without fail, anytime we are there, while we are gorging ourselves with food (as we eat light during the day on the nights we plan to go there) a ship photographer appears and wants to start snapping pictures!

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but this is my rant of the day. And we rarely complain. Being on a ship rocks!

Happy cruising!

Oh Dear! By the thread's title and your description, it sounds like the sight of the photographer approaching is enough to make you choke up that steak mid-chew in PTSD-like spasms as you sit there gorging, to use your word!

What an unpleasant sight that must be for everyone else to witness.

Wow! Even now I just got the shivers a I picture you sitting there, lipstick smeared, a partially chewed, it-should-have-been-cut-in-half-piece-but-that's-okay-because-you're-gorging-piece of rib eye dangling from your mouth as your eyes beam that profound annoyance.

If our paths cross on a cruise, I'd be happy to share with you that firm "no thank you" routine I've mastered and can deliver without missing a beat in the table conversation or feeling the need for a xanax to restore my calm.

With 27 years of cruising, been to most ports, IF, I have never been to that particular port, I will stop and have my photo taken at the end of the gang plank with the obligatory pirate, fish, dancing girl or whatever the costume of the day is, for my own record of the places I have been. As for the dining room, pool or anywhere else photographers pop up, no thanks. As for embarkation photos, we used to stop, but we never buy them anyway, because we are usually not at our best looking after a day of travel. AND, because they have become so expensive, with the technology today, you can get great photos from your own cell phone and in a blink send them home to the kids, grandkids, grandparents or your co workers for 0 cost.

No need for anyone to reply in a rude manner. I've known people for years who don't like their picture taken in any situation, vacation or otherwise. It isn't a big deal although I have seen people be rude to photographers, which in my opinion unnecessary. All my cruises I've never run into a photographer being rude or insistent.

PrettyGirl01, we've never met and you're probably a pleasant person. This post wasn't about you personally but instead it was about my reaction to what is otherwise a mundane post overly dramatized with its heading.

Just sharing what went through my mind after reading such a dramatic headline over something that turns out a simple "no thank you" would cure.

Step out of your shoes a moment and see this how others including myself might view this.

Ask me to fill your shoes, and I flush with embarrassment for going on over a non-issue. Photography obviously makes money for Princess, otherwise it would be gone. If you can understand that, then you'd probably agree that it's not going to change, rendering this whole topic just about pointless.

With 27 years of cruising, been to most ports, IF, I have never been to that particular port, I will stop and have my photo taken at the end of the gang plank with the obligatory pirate, fish, dancing girl or whatever the costume of the day is, for my own record of the places I have been. As for the dining room, pool or anywhere else photographers pop up, no thanks. As for embarkation photos, we used to stop, but we never buy them anyway, because we are usually not at our best looking after a day of travel. AND, because they have become so expensive, with the technology today, you can get great photos from your own cell phone and in a blink send them home to the kids, grandkids, grandparents or your co workers for 0 cost.

Re: Embarkation photo.

What I do is either take a picture of the photo(s) to my iPhone and email to friends or family, Or, if I purchase more photos during the cruise, Princess offers a free thumb drive containing the photos purchased, and I download them to my iPad, and email them. Or, I download selected photos to a postcard app, and send them as picture postcards. Takes 3 days for the picture postcards to arrive at the person's mailbox wherever in the world.

Just sharing what went through my mind after reading such a dramatic headline over something that turns out a simple "no thank you" would cure.

Two observations:

1. If you think "something that annoys me" is "dramatic," I would love to have your life because you have a very low bar for drama.

2. Just because the photographer can be easily waived away doesn't make it not annoying.

Two observations:

1. If you think "something that annoys me" is "dramatic," I would love to have your life because you have a very low bar for drama.

2. Just because the photographer can be easily waived away doesn't make it not annoying.

1. Context. Casually speaking between friends about trivial annoyances is not dramatic whereas posting in a public forum, using an exclamation point is.

2. Photographers are a staple to cruises: choosing to be annoyed by them is right up there with being angry that the ship rocks from time to time.

1. Context. Casually speaking between friends about trivial annoyances is not dramatic whereas posting in a public forum, using an exclamation point is.

2. Photographers are a staple to cruises: choosing to be annoyed by them is right up there with being angry that the ship rocks from time to time.

I'm old, and nowadays, try to avoid being annoyed. Especially over seemingly trivial matters. It's good for my physical and mental health. I don't want to die of an aneurysm or a stroke. Do you?

Enjoy your cruise, and if God wills, grant you continued good health to live and not die before your next cruise.

"I cruise to eat healthy, and to enjoy a slice of apple pie everyday before I die."

I disagree.

On 1: My experience on this forum has included far, far more extreme language, sometimes in situations where it seemed to me unwarranted. Further, I'm at a loss to think of a milder term than "annoy" which expresses the same sort of reaction. ("Irritate," perhaps, but that seems to me about the same degree.) The exclamation point, I'll grant you, was probably not needed, but that's an awfully small hook to hang your argument on.

On 2: The situations aren't comparable, in that movement is an inherent fact of being at sea (though over the years, through technology and ship size, it has been significantly reduced nevertheless), while the means and methods of the ship's photographers are merely a matter of tradition. A better analogy would be if someone said that they were annoyed about features of the assigned dining system, to which not so long ago your dismissive response of "that's a staple to cruises" would have been apt. But now there's anytime dining. Things can change.

Maybe to your way of thinking - most older cruisers can live without them especially when eating & leaving the ship.;p

Two observations:

I agree.

I disagree.

On 1: My experience on this forum has included far, far more extreme language, sometimes in situations where it seemed to me unwarranted. Further, I'm at a loss to think of a milder term than "annoy" which expresses the same sort of reaction. ("Irritate," perhaps, but that seems to me about the same degree.) The exclamation point, I'll grant you, was probably not needed, but that's an awfully small hook to hang your argument on.

On 2: The situations aren't comparable, in that movement is an inherent fact of being at sea (though over the years, through technology and ship size, it has been significantly reduced nevertheless), while the means and methods of the ship's photographers are merely a matter of tradition. A better analogy would be if someone said that they were annoyed about features of the assigned dining system, to which not so long ago your dismissive response of "that's a staple to cruises" would have been apt. But now there's anytime dining. Things can change.

I agree with you. rbt's response to the OP was certainly more "overly" dramatic than the OP's statement.

I'm old, and nowadays, try to avoid being annoyed. Especially over seemingly trivial matters. It's good for my physical and mental health. I don't want to die of an aneurysm or a stroke. Do you?

Enjoy your cruise, and if God wills, grant you continued good health to live and not die before your next cruise.

"I cruise to eat healthy, and to enjoy a slice of apple pie everyday before I die."

Judging by your profile pic I'd say you're younger than me, though I'm nowhere near bones-creaking old.

I agree with you. And that's why I try to laugh or poke fun at the ridiculous. Those photographers never bother me; just a short shake of the head and they move on.

But after reading this thread, --one of the true benefits of having this board-- is that I now know to become alert after the photographer walks away. I now long for that evening in CG where the photographer walks up to the jackpot of a table for my entertainment. The scene that plays out in my mind is to the tune of Faye Dunaway's "wire hangers" performance in Mommy Dearest: "Moooooore Phoooo-toooos!!!"

I disagree.

I see what you're saying.

As for 1. someone in this thread did relate a much more harassing encounter by the ship's photographers on the gangway. A few times I've encountered more aggressive staff: "come on, take a picture," as they reach out to put an arm around me. In general, as a solo traveler, I have NO INTENTION of ever considering the purchase of the picture. Only once did I pose for a picture of a native with fruit basket balanced on her head and in colorful native dress; I wanted and did purchase that picture. Otherwise, why waste the film and print for a snap with pirates etc. But the specific poster who was annoyed was trying to snap pictures with his camera. Quite frankly, the staff had every right to refuse. Just like a 10 minute altercation between an Asian gentleman and the photographers on an NCL cruise where the man wanted to use his camera for a picture with the Captain.

As for 2. I stick by my feeling that ship photography is a staple-- and a money-maker. There are some that do expect to be photographed. I've requested it for group table shots because I want the memory to take home. Technology exists to eliminate all those wasted prints on display along the Promenade. Yet we still see it done as it was decades ago.

I don't see the big deal. We've never had our photo taken on a cruise ship... we just say "no thank you" and they move on.

It's not that you can't bypass having your photo taken, it's having to wait till the other people stroll down the gangway getting off the ship that gets me. They line up like it almost a requirement to pose & slows down the disembarkation process for everyone else. The photographers setup their shoot so people almost have to barge past them to get by. :mad:

If they had any consideration they would setup to the side where no one would be affected except those that actually wanted a photo. :)

I see what you're saying.

As for 1. someone in this thread did relate a much more harassing encounter by the ship's photographers on the gangway. A few times I've encountered more aggressive staff: "come on, take a picture," as they reach out to put an arm around me. In general, as a solo traveler, I have NO INTENTION of ever considering the purchase of the picture. Only once did I pose for a picture of a native with fruit basket balanced on her head and in colorful native dress; I wanted and did purchase that picture. Otherwise, why waste the film and print for a snap with pirates etc. But the specific poster who was annoyed was trying to snap pictures with his camera. Quite frankly, the staff had every right to refuse. Just like a 10 minute altercation between an Asian gentleman and the photographers on an NCL cruise where the man wanted to use his camera for a picture with the Captain.

As for 2. I stick by my feeling that ship photography is a staple-- and a money-maker. There are some that do expect to be photographed. I've requested it for group table shots because I want the memory to take home. Technology exists to eliminate all those wasted prints on display along the Promenade. Yet we still see it done as it was decades ago.

I don't disagree that ship's photography isn't going away so long as people buy them. And I'll go you one better: I don't think it should go away if it's something that people want. That doesn't mean that the particular way that photography is handled now can't be modified to reduce the annoyance of those who don't want photographs without affecting those who do. See my earlier note on "photo opportunities" vs. "photo intrusions," as well as others' notes on impeding traffic, etc., without even getting to the tales of verbal and/or physical harassment.