Disembarkation at Port Everglades - making sure I understand how it works

We’re cruising next month with multiple families, some will be going from the ship to the airport (FLL) at Port Everglades, and I just want to confirm my understanding of final disembarkation process and options for people with regular rooms and no reward program membership.

From previous threads, I understand you are assigned a number which indicates your turn to get off. Luggage is picked up the night before.When it’s your turn, they scan your seapass, and if everything is chipper, leave the ship, pick up your luggage, and go wait in line for customs and immigration. Once past them, you’re on your own. If seapass shows unpaid balance, it’s off to the jailer until all outstanding bills are paid.

You can request an early departure time, based on your need to get to the airport.

I would imagine elevator wait time is longer than usual during disembarkation.

The alternative option is to self-disembark. You keep your luggage, and beginning at 6:30, you find your own way down, scan the pass, leavethe ship, and go queue for the customs and immigration.

You have the option of hiring luggage valet, For a price, they take your luggage, give you an airline boarding pass. Life is much easier. How does customs work in this case?

PE customs and immigration are similar to the typical int’l airport (MIA, ORD, etc). One line(s) for US citizens and residents, once line for everyone else. machines / expedited line for global entry card holder. Wait time is unpredictable. Best be prepared.

Do I have it right? TIA :)

Yes that's about right....honestly it was such a simple process when we got off the FOS earlier this month....we had a 10:35am flight and was assigned group #2 to get off the ship....from the second we left the WJ to the moment we got out of the embarkation building was maybe 10 minutes and 9 of those minutes were spent walking...it was almost too easy...we were a group of 4...only 1 passport was examined, zero questions were asked and not a single declaration was glanced at....so it was quite a breeze....

My flight isn't until late afternoon is it possible to request last off?

You don't have to request it, just stay onboard until last call. Note that this will be 9:30am to 10:30am, depending on ship, and no facilities will be open after Windjammer closes.

What time does Windjammer close when they get in port, I know there is breakfast there, just never went because we always got off asap to fly home, this time there is no flight we can make, the 8:50am flight is too early the next available is 3:45ish....so we are not in a rush at all. Will they allow us to sit there until final disembarkation? Is the Parc Cafe open in the am of disembarkation, if so what time do they close?

What time does Windjammer close when they get in port, I know there is breakfast there, just never went because we always got off asap to fly home, this time there is no flight we can make, the 8:50am flight is too early the next available is 3:45ish....so we are not in a rush at all. Will they allow us to sit there until final disembarkation? Is the Parc Cafe open in the am of disembarkation, if so what time do they close?

Here is a departure schedule from Harmony, which will show you the breakfast venues on the last morning:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52580762&postcount=21

We are off Harmony this past weekend. We used luggage valet. Sign up midweek, cost is $25 per person. Friday afternoon we got our flight tags and boarding passes, left our packed bags in the hall the last evening of the cruise.

Sat morning we got up had relaxing breakfast at Park Cafe. Got our carry on and walked off the ship around 9am. While everyone else is searching through the sea of bags we are walking to Customs. Load up the mobile passport app, it will save you time in customs. We were out front getting a taxi by 9:20.

When we arived in our home airport our luggage all arived quickly.

This was our 19th cruise and the easiest disembark ever!

Have any Canadians who have Nexus been able to use the Global Entry kiosk/queue in PE? Apparently once anyone has been approved for Nexus they also get complimentary access to the Global Entry program but our cards say Nexus not Global Entry.

At the US/Canadian border entry points including airports most CBP are usually aware of the program privileges but I'm wondering if any anyone at PE will give us any hassle for having a card that says Nexus and not Global Entry even though aside from the names the cards look the same.

Have any Canadians who have Nexus been able to use the Global Entry kiosk/queue in PE? Apparently once anyone has been approved for Nexus they also get complimentary access to the Global Entry program but our cards say Nexus not Global Entry.

At the US/Canadian border entry points including airports most CBP are usually aware of the program privileges but I'm wondering if any anyone at PE will give us any hassle for having a card that says Nexus and not Global Entry even though aside from the names the cards look the same.

We've used the GE lines at PE four times now with our Nexus cards. Best $50 spent.:)

If you are asking staff for dir cations just say that you have Global Entry, if you say Nexus most just stare at you like a deer caught in headlights.

We always use a porter and as soon as we tell them we have GE they are extremely happy as they don't have to wait in the long customs line. I think the longest it has taken us to clear customs has been just over five minutes.

There is no GE kiosk, all GE at Port Everglades gets you is front of the line privileges.

We've used the GE lines at PE four times now with our Nexus cards. Best $50 spent.:)

If you are asking staff for dir cations just say that you have Global Entry, if you say Nexus most just stare at you like a deer caught in headlights.

We always use a porter and as soon as we tell them we have GE they are extremely happy as they don't have to wait in the long customs line. I think the longest it has taken us to clear customs has been just over five minutes.

There is no GE kiosk, all GE at Port Everglades gets you is front of the line privileges.

Thank you kindly, Ken.

I'm really excited to use Global Entry since I just got my Nexus late last year. Although I have generally found the line ups not to be too severe at PE (I'm generally a patient que-er) being able to skip any line is a perk I'd like to take advantage of.

Happy sailings!

You don't have to request it, just stay onboard until last call. Note that this will be 9:30am to 10:30am, depending on ship, and no facilities will be open after Windjammer closes.

I know it's easier to stay later, but what happens if you try to leave earlier?

I know it's easier to stay later, but what happens if you try to leave earlier?

They will not stop you from leaving earlier than your departure number indicates, but you may have to stand around in a secure area until your luggage has been placed into a safe area.

Thanks for the responses. It seems like things should flow smoothly, but it never hurts to be prepared. In our case, the folks that want to leave early and head for the airport include a green card holder and two young'ns. The rest of the party is in no rush.

The mobile passport app looks interesting. Thanks for that tip!

How does customs process luggage when someone uses luggage valet?

• 2 weeks later...

Just off my cruise and wanted to confirm that I was successfully able to use the Global Entry queue when exiting Port Everglades terminal 18.

Just told the folks working there that we had Global Entry and we bypassed the entire line into a very small queue for global entry. Only about 5 minutes had elapsed since we stepped onto the gangway and to the time when we had cleared immigration and exited the terminal. Wonderful program.