Odd question about the adult pool (or kids taking over)

waldocruiser1

I have a different question about the pool topic.

Besides the adult ethics thing that you should not pick on kids, and the, probably getting in a fight with their parents.

What do you think Carnival will do, or not do, if you are in the pool relaxing and kids are being annoying splashing around, and you verbally parent them telling them to get away from you? Maybe a little bluntly!

I don't think you should tell them to get away from you, you don't have that right, they have a right to be there. Just say "please don't splash me" I was in the hot tub with my daughter and a bunch of kids where jumping around, I just asked them nicely to not splash me. It was a non issue.

Besides the adult ethics thing that you should not pick on kids, and the, probably getting in a fight with their parents This is where the issue will arise.

What do you think Carnival will do, or not do, if you are in the pool relaxing and kids are being annoying splashing around, and you verbally parent them telling them to get away from you? Maybe a little bluntly! If the first part of your question doesn't happen, probably nothing.

My experience, on a cruise or not, has been that kids are kids and will react appropriately to a "Dad/Mom" voice. Yes, there are the little terrors that won't, but it isn't just your "Dad/Mom" voice that they don't react to it is their actual parents voice too.

Now if you go off on a tirade or expect kids not to play in the pool and think you some how deserve absolute peace and quiet you should have stayed home as your expectations are unreasonable. If you are relaxing in the pool and there are kids playing and their games start to include you or infringe upon your reasonable personal space. Tell the kids nicely but firmly that you don't wish to be splashed or climbed on or bumped into. The vast majority of kids will react appropriately to this.

As you touched upon in your first sentence, the parents are your true concern because you just don't know how they will react. I've experienced normal reactions and over reactions both ways. Meaning I ask the kids to move their games and the parents made the kids get out of the pool, not the result I was looking for.

I've also been screamed at, my favorite example of this is I was getting out of a pool at a hotel and kids were having a splash fight by the ladder, I had to go between them, I called time out, they stopped, I climbed out and said game on, kids started back up again. Mom was in my face screaming and wagging her finger at me. I laughed in her face and walked away, she didn't follow me, but she kept carrying on, I ignored her.

If you don't have the ability to walk away/ignore someone and feel you must engage them on their level we all will probably get to see you on Youtube in the video "Fight by Carnival Pool".

The bottom line is the same as most of the other topics on this board. Be it smoking or kids in the pool. These are the rules Carnival has decided upon, either adapt to them or vote with your wallet. If you absolutely insist upon an adults only pool give RCCL your cruising dollars. If enough people do vote with their wallet, the policy will get changed. Having a poll on some internet message board while the ship is still filling up and you have 3 more Carnival cruises booked over this year and next isn't going to change anything.

At least most of the time the kids will listen if you ask them to please stop splashing you. Now the adult drunks in the pool not so much. I would much rather have kids in the pools with me than the drunks. Oh and I am well over 65.

Besides the adult ethics thing that you should not pick on kids, and the, probably getting in a fight with their parents.

What do you think Carnival will do, or not do, if you are in the pool relaxing and kids are being annoying splashing around, and you verbally parent them telling them to get away from you? Maybe a little bluntly!

If you start a fight with someone in the pool, I would expect the security personnel to remove you.

If you start a fight with someone in the pool, I would expect the security personnel to remove you.

OP mentioned nothing about fighting. They were suggesting raising their voice as a parent does and sternly reprimanding them.

Answer to OP question about getting splashed by kids:

(1) If in the ADULT pool/spa then remind them that they are not allowed there and I would report them to crew and escalate until removed.

(2) If in the NORMAL pools/spas then they have a right to be there and have "kid fun". If I want to be the fun police then I retreat to the ADULT pool/spa.

(1) If in the ADULT pool/spa then remind them that they are not allowed there and I would report them to crew and escalate until removed.

Please note that there are no more "adults-only" pools on Carnival. This policy change was simply a formality, as Carnival had never enforced it in the first place. Same with Serenity. :mad:

OP mentioned nothing about fighting. They were suggesting raising their voice as a parent does and sternly reprimanding them.

I must have imagined the part about "Probably getting in a fight with their parents."

How about this then, perhaps the staff could suggest that those not wanting to get wet, get out of the pool.

This is why I want to keep adult only pools. Instead of policing other people's children I would be annoyed and get out of the pool altogether. Hot tubs can be too hot midday in the Caribbean sun and they would most likely be over run by children as well. So me, a full paying customer, has to bake or go inside.

I have 2 children (DS8, DD9) and I wouldn't want anyone policing them, but if they are out of hand and I don't catch it then I am not doing my job as a parent. If an adult has an issue with my child, I would prefer they talk with me. At the same time, I am NOT one of those parents who would freak out if an adult said something to my child as long as it is respectful and understandable, for instance, in one of the comments above they mentioned they said "time out" and "game on" when exiting the pool and the children were in their way. Nothing is wrong with that, in fact I would smile as that is exactly how I interact with my children. Stern, but nice. No need to make them embarrassed or fearful. (They are generally well behaved so I am lucky that we rarely have any issues) I AM the type of parent who watches her kids like a hawk. There is no "lounging" for me when they are at the pool. I am either in the water or standing/sitting on the edge. If there is too much splashing or they are too close to an adult I rectify it immediately. Even on the playground, I will move my seat as they go to each section. I carry out my consequences as well, so my children know not to ignore me. For instance, if I tell them "don't do that again or we are going home"- if they do it again we actually go home. Too many parents let children just run all crazy with empty threats. Children will have horseplay and fun, and they SHOULD, but there are boundaries for everything. I don't want my children, or any ones else's children, to be bored in the pool so having a separate pool for the adults is best.

I've said it in a few posts and I will say it again, even parents need breaks from children on vacation- including their own. If my children are with my husband or in the kids club I want the opportunity to relax- in the pool- child free.

In response to exercising opinions using our dollars, I fully intend on doing so. This is our first cruise with our children and we plan on doing many more now that they are older and I feel more comfortable. This means we will cruise during prime "kid" season instead of "off season" like we usually do. Having adult only areas is really important to me as I am a self proclaimed sun goddess LOL. RCI here I come!

Edited by Neotericisis

If your kids are rowdy as a parent YOU should be correcting them. If you don't and relinquish your parental responsibility anyone else can. If they're rowdy how is anyone to know you are the parent and say something to you?

Just off Magic with 1500 kids. At least 1200 of them were horrible brats running and screaming all over the ship. They played in the elevators and pushed all the buttons. Left their detritus everywhere especially by elevators. Everyone but their parents complained about it. Staff did absolutely nothing except for when a crowd of them ran to the Harry Potter trivia and the trivia lady told them to stop running.

If your kids are rowdy as a parent YOU should be correcting them. If you don't and relinquish your parental responsibility anyone else can. If they're rowdy how is anyone to know you are the parent and say something to you?

I agree! Everyone ALWAYS knows I'm their parent. If I rectify their behavior no one else has to. Children will be children. They are rowdy, loud, boisterous etc., and thats all great, but only at appropriate times. They need to have fun and act accordingly. Parents need to step it up. When on vacation with your kids you have to still be a parent.

On the Conquest April 1-9 sailing last week, I first learned about the change in policy by first seeing kids in the pool/hot tubs and then reading the signage, which states that "children accompanied by an adult" were allowed.

So when a few kids tried to enter the hot tubs, I simply asked them where their parents were. When they looked puzzled, I asked them to read the sign posted right at the steps to the hot tubs. They grumbled and went away.

Of course, they could ignore me, flip me off, or come back with an enraged or intoxed parent. Being a native New Yorker, I've had plenty of experiences like these possibilities, and am well versed in de-escalation tactics after working with Teamsters in delivery and logistics, as well as alcoholics and addicts in recovery most of my working life. Just would hate it to get to that level on my vacation.