Cruisetour questions - Denali to Princess McKinley lodge - stop in talkeetna?

tampadonna

We are taking a cruisetour (EB4) and leave Denali Princess Lidge at 12:15 pm travelling by motorcoach to the Mt. McKinley Wilderness Lodge. Does anyone know if the coach (not train) stops in Talkeetna on the way in? Or will we need to pick up the shuttle at the Lodge and travel back into Talkeetna?

Interested in answer because we are trying to arrange a flightseeing tour on day we arrive at Princess Mt. McKinley Lodge. Any help/experience would be greatly appreciated.

When my wife and I did our land tour last summer the bus took us straight to McKinley Wilderness Lodge. Talkeetna is a bit further down the road. So you will need to take the shuttle(bus) in Talkeetna to arrange your tour.

When my wife and I did our land tour last summer the bus took us straight to McKinley Wilderness Lodge. Talkeetna is a bit further down the road. So you will need to take the shuttle(bus) in Talkeetna to arrange your tour.

And the shuttle will take about an hour plus the time waiting for it to leave the lodge.

There are actually two roads out to McKinley. Usually the bus goes through Talkeetna. On our last trip going from McKinley to Denali there was an accident on the main road so the bus took the back way. Since you can't count on which way it will go, assume that you can't get off in Talkeetna. And you get one roundtrip shuttle ride for free per night - you pay for additional.

Be sure to visit the Brew Pub in Talkeetna. Wonderful beer. :cool:

We were surprised in a small shop in Talkeetna. We live in Chico, CA where Sierra Nevada beer is made. Up on top of a dusty shelf in a shop was a "growler" (half gallon refillable glass jug) from Sierra Nevada brewery. :D

We loved Talkeetna. On our Alaska tour in 2011, the bus took us from our train into town and let us off before taking others to the lodge (an hour away). We walked around and had lunch. We took the flight the next day even though it was overcast and we did not see the top of Mt. McKinley. We spent 2 nights at each lodge though. We saw lots of dogs and I asked about cats. The flight business had one very fluffy cat out on the deck, and they said the "mayor" of Talkeetna was a cat. Enjoy that town!