Doing the Anthem without the IQ App

Call me a Luddite, but one of the things that we look forward to the most when we get onboard is to shut our phones off and put them in the safe until we get back. The cruise forces us to unplug and reconnect.

I'm reading about the IQ app on Anthem. Do we really need this, or can you manage things without it? Because I really would like to *not* use my phone while on vacation.

Call me a Luddite, but one of the things that we look forward to the most when we get onboard is to shut our phones off and put them in the safe until we get back. The cruise forces us to unplug and reconnect.

I'm reading about the IQ app on Anthem. Do we really need this, or can you manage things without it? Because I really would like to *not* use my phone while on vacation.

Some use the IQ app for texting, because it's a less expensive way to text others on the ship, as opposed to buying internet packages.

It is not necessary. The things we use the app for (making reservations, checking our daily schedule, checking our onboard account, The Compass, etc) can all be done the old-fashioned way, as you would on ships that don't have this technology.

My suggestion: download the app before you leave anyway. You don't have to use it, however you'll have it just in case you change your mind.

Hi MrSnarkyPants :)

I'm the same way. I like to put my cell phone in the safe & unplug. I don't even use it as a camera. I recently sailed a 12-day voyage onboard Anthem. I did download the app prior to our sailing, but never needed it. I made all reservations before the cruise via the cruise planner & on the phone with Royal Caribbean. Any adjustments or new reservations that I needed to make while onboard were so extremely easy to accomplish.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm the same way. I like to put my cell phone in the safe & unplug. I don't even use it as a camera. I recently sailed a 12-day voyage onboard Anthem. I did download the app prior to our sailing, but never needed it. I made all reservations before the cruise via the cruise planner & on the phone with Royal Caribbean. Any adjustments or new reservations that I needed to make while onboard were so extremely easy to accomplish.

Many thanks. We'll be doing that 12 night itinerary in January.

Glad I am not the only one that does this! I do not want to carry my phone around since I will not be using it to call anyone nor do I use it to take photos -- that's why I have a camera.:D

We will have traditional 2nd seating dining. So, we will not need dining reservations. We can make show reservations prior to boarding, as well as other things, correct??

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

Glad I am not the only one that does this! I do not want to carry my phone around since I will not be using it to call anyone nor do I use it to take photos -- that's why I have a camera.:D

We will have traditional 2nd seating dining. So, we will not need dining reservations. We can make show reservations prior to boarding, as well as other things, correct??

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

Correct! But I found the app to be useful/convenient for viewing the Compass and for our calendar (keeping track of our reservations). Of course, you can still use the paper Compass.

If you've made all reservations prior to the cruise then you should be ok.

To see the compass while about the ship, you can use the screens near the elevators.

For any reservation you forgot, you can still use self-service tablets in Customer Service, shore excursions and other places around the ship or your tv. If you want to satisfy your inner Luddite, you can still pick up the phone and wait in line for customer service to help you.

New or old fashioned options are there, so don't worry about the app too much.

Having said that, the app had a couple of nifty features,

-you could save shows of interest on the calendar. So while wandering around the ship you can check the calendar to see if something you were interested is currently happening. Similar to highlighting a cruise compass, but paperless ;)

-at night you can look at the next day cruise compass, use the filter button on the app. Without having to go get it from the stateroom or elsewhere

Cheers and enjoy your cruise.

No problem at all to sail Anthem without the iQ app. most info is also available on your Stateroom TV. We found the app useful to communicate with the others in our group of 8 families, but had we cruised just as a couple, we would have been fine without the App.

dp

When I was on the Anthem back in October, I only used it for either the cruise compass or to check my account. Both of these activities can be accomplished with the TV in your room.

It was probably me, but for some reason, my Iphone 5S could not make reservations on the IQ (though my friend's samsung could). I could cancel reservations, but not make them. It was weird.