Ketchikan - Can't think of a thing

hollon

Yall heard me talk about my sister using a walker, etc - can yall help me please think of something to do in Ketchikan - I want this to be a full trip for her b/c she almost died a year ago - any suggestions - thanks

Yall heard me talk about my sister using a walker, etc - can yall help me please think of something to do in Ketchikan - I want this to be a full trip for her b/c she almost died a year ago - any suggestions - thanks

If you can't find anything that takes your fancy it's far from the worst place to just stroll around. I hope your sister's recovery continues to go well and that you both have a memorable trip, Tony

Yq9hXgdj_J8

To me there appeared to be more shopping in Ketchikan than the other ports we stopped at in Alaska. If your sister wants to do some shopping this would probably be a great place for her to get her fill. I also saw people stationed near the dock ready to take people on various tours. In particular I saw a fellow waiting with his vintage Rolls Royce - I'm pretty sure that would be just for a site-seeing tour. Possibly that could be something cool and unusual your sister might like? Out of curiosity I did a quick Google search and found this link: Ketchikan Vintage Limos How cool is the internet? :D Good luck!

HTa4PJ

I think it may depend on how much energy/stamina your sister has, and how much walking she can do. One idea is to catch a taxi up to Cape Fox Lodge (don't try walking to it....), look at the totem poles, and then have a cup of coffee and a snack in the restaurant there and enjoy the view. You could then take a taxi back to the ship, OR you could take the funicular down to Creek Street for some shopping, then walk back to the ship (downhill from Creek Street) if she would be comfortable doing that. (We did the taxi/funicular/Creek Street/walk back to ship with a disabled friend a couple of years ago. She did okay, but that is VERY individual, of course.)

We are going in June and my friend is also on a walker. We have been in touch with Island Wings and they can accommodate people (lt 200 pounds) on a float plane to Misty Fjords. There is the Bering Straight Crab Fishermans tour which we very much enjoyed even though I was not a fan of the tv show. We also took a small group tour in a van to see the totem poles and eagle sites and just the sights around Ketchican including the salmon ladder- depending on when you are going. Don't know about the Duck tours but have enjoyed them as a lark in other cities. We had considered the catamaran tour through Misty Fjord but have not read good things about it- apparently boring.

There is a free shuttle bus that does a loop around Ketchikan from the docks to the Lumberjack Show to Creek Street then up to the totem museum and back through town south to the mall and grocery store and back to the docks. This might help her get around a bit easier. There is also a place that rents golf carts by the hour for families that want to get around town a bit easier.

Island Wings does indeed accommodate folks with mobility issues- we just booked a flight with them and one of us has the same issues as your sister. I am so glad that I did call and ask- they don't say that on their website, in fact none of the float plane folks do.

Why don't you buy a folding transport chair and have her use that when she gets tired? I push my husband around most of the time, but he can and likes to walk short distances so he uses the chair as support and pushes it around - sort of like a walker, but with a dual purpose. They aren't expensive - around $150 and can be easily stored in the cabin.

We have been to Alaska several times with the chair and it works just fine in all of the ports.

She has looked over the ship's excursion list and nothing appeals ? the town Visitor Guide ?

Taxi cab tour would be a good option but you'll need to provide information about her interests in order to develop an itinerary. Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tour might have fixed itineraries to review.

Call or email the Visitor Center and ask them for accessible suggestions. It will help if you provide them with additional info, like budget and interests.

Why don't you buy a folding transport chair and have her use that when she gets tired? I push my husband around most of the time, but he can and likes to walk short distances so he uses the chair as support and pushes it around - sort of like a walker, but with a dual purpose. They aren't expensive - around $150 and can be easily stored in the cabin.

We have been to Alaska several times with the chair and it works just fine in all of the ports.

And if you order from Amazon you can have it shipped directly to your hotel if you are going in a day early- saves carting it around on the first leg of your trip anyway.

And if you order from Amazon you can have it shipped directly to your hotel if you are going in a day early- saves carting it around on the first leg of your trip anyway.

Thanks everyone, I'm doing the planning bc they want to leave it up to me, she's just happy to be going :)

I'll look into that chair - thanks