Former NCL cruiser ready to jump ship for the Horizon in 2018

Sizzlechest

This is not your thread. The OP asked for no cheerleading, what we didn't like about Carnival and to lower their expectations. Someone does this for the OP and you get all bent out of shape. Someone says something YOU don't like. My kids and I saw what we saw on the Vista and what we didn't see on the NCL Escape whether you like it or not. I gave my opinion and it matters not if you like it.

Did I say I was the OP? Did I do cheer leading for Carnival? Did I say you could not post here? Did I say it was my thread (which makes no difference anyways)? Your post implied it is common on Carnival as opposed to other lines, I took umbrage with that (because it is not true, but I digress). Your comments sound a heck of a lot more like cheer leading for NCL than anything I said....

We have derailed the conversation enough....

OP---If you want to try the Horizon...do book a Havana cabin (even an inside one if costs are a concern--but remember other lines can be and often are more expensive). You will be away from the hoi polloi/deplorables that tallandthensome rails against (and who are present on any ship you sail on). You will be on the same deck as the Steakhouse, Bonsai Sushi, Alchemy Bar, Piano Bar, coffee bar, library bar, Havana Bar (hopefully with great Latin music nightly--better than the lounge shows, IMO),et. al. You'll have a quiet pool area. Only a deck away from the dining venue, for seated dining, and same deck as the line for tables for any time dining. Near rear elevators for access up to Lido and to gym (skip the spa). So, in short, a potentially very nice cruise.

Is this included in Havana cabins?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, having a Havana cabin gives you exclusive access to the Havana area each day till 700 PM. The area includes a pool, two hot tubs and many different types of chairs and loungers including two thatched roof huts that have an area that you can get your feet wet. Here is a link and you can see the huts at the 1:45 mark.

Let’s say you wanted to do a 7-night cruise to Bermuda on the NCL Breakaway. You want to see a performance of Rock of Ages. You see the dailies from previous cruises and notice it’s shown twice on two different nights. The first two showings are on an “at sea” day and the second two showings are when you’re docked in Bermuda. Now, let’s also assume you want to be in Hamilton for “Hamilton Nights.” That means the second night is out. Okay, so you’ll make reservations for the first night it’s available. But wait… There are comedy shows later in the evening that will conflict with the second showing of Rock of Ages. Okay, so I’ll reserve the first showing, which is at 7pm. Ah, but what about dinner? In order to catch the show at 7pm, I’ll have to have dinner when it opens at 5:30pm. The main dining rooms do not take reservations, so if I want to make sure I can get to the theater and get a good seat, I will have to show up early to the dining room. Hang on… what if I KNEW that I wanted to try the upcharge steakhouse on the ship? I can’t make reservations for the main dining room, but I need to make reservations for specialty dining. Therefore, I should make my specialty dining reservation for the steakhouse on the SAME night as Rock of Ages at 5:30pm.

Planning a cruise is like playing Sudoku.

LOL! This is classic! Been there! Cussed at this many times!

It was even worse on RC Anthem OTS - Had to also solve for advance scheduling of North Star, iFly, etc. Months later when you step foot on the ship, the weather turns bad and they cancel an event. Everything is booked up with no availability to reschedule the rest of the trip. After months of "Sudoku", you miss out on the very things that you were excited about doing.

Edited by crooooze

Did you crawl out of a sewer? Did your wife punch you in the face and knock your glasses off 30 feet across the deck? Was that you who was so drunk you passed out against the hot tub? Was that you wearing a cabin bathroom towel to the MDR? If this wasn't you on the Vista then I wouldn't take offense to it ........ Remember, we were asked to lower their expectations btw ......

I think these are a great exaggeration of what most people would see, and the rare occasion happens on all lines. Your calling people"trashy" etc tells me you are judgemental and looking for flaws in others.

Pat

LOL! This is classic! Been there! Cussed at this many times!

It was even worse on RC Anthem OTS - Had to also solve for advance scheduling of North Star, iFly, etc. Months later when you step foot on the ship, the weather turns bad and they cancel an event. Everything is booked up with no availability to reschedule the rest of the trip. After months of "Sudoku", you miss out on the very things that you were excited about doing.

You may have to plan for all of these things, but at least they're available.

You may have to plan for all of these things, but at least they're available.

While I would agree that options are a good thing, my view is more relative to what the cruise experience is. The mega of the seas, you can't feel the ship move, they can't go to any tender port, they make the ship the destination, they have much more of a amusement park (Disney, Six flags) feel and require the entire planning aspect. For me, done it twice....first and last time.

I have only ever cruised Carnival and I am finally ready to branch out to other cruise lines. Why? I just got off the Magic and even thought my cruise was good, I experience some things that I have never experienced before. I always thought the dinner on the lido deck was terrible, it was the same on this cruise. The only difference was lack of terrible. Long lines because they didn't have enough buffet areas open. I found the ship to be someone dirty. I mostly experienced this on the Lido deck. It's like no one dusted or wiped things down anymore. The people on my floor were rowdy for the first few nights until the wee hours of the morning (never experienced that before). Just didn't like the feel of the crowd and the changes that Carnival has been making. That doesn't meant I will not cruise with Carnival again, it just means I am ready to check out some other lines. I did want to try the Havana cabin and will eventually do that in a few years.

While I would agree that options are a good thing, my view is more relative to what the cruise experience is. The mega of the seas, you can't feel the ship move, they can't go to any tender port, they make the ship the destination, they have much more of a amusement park (Disney, Six flags) feel and require the entire planning aspect. For me, done it twice....first and last time.

I see the value in that, but we're talking about a Vista class ship here, which is similar in size to the Anthem class or Breakaway class that these posters are talking about. Yes, you have to plan for a show, but it's an off-broadway show, and not a playlist production. There is value to both experiences. It's up to individual cruisers to weigh the value for cost paid.

I see the value in that, but we're talking about a Vista class ship here, which is similar in size to the Anthem class or Breakaway class that these posters are talking about. Yes, you have to plan for a show, but it's an off-broadway show, and not a playlist production. There is value to both experiences. It's up to individual cruisers to weigh the value for cost paid.

Can't argue with any of that.....

Yes. I can't speak for Carnival, but cruising NCL on the Breakaway vs. the Gem will yield a very different experience. I won't say one is superior to the other, because that depends on what's important to the individual cruiser. However, you cannot judge a cruise line by a single ship.

FWIW, the Breakaway is a great ship and everyone should sail her once. I sailed her twice and I can't fathom sailing her a third time especially with the cutbacks NCL instituted. I could see myself sailing the Gem since it's inexpensive, yet "roomy" compared to the bigger Breakaway class ship. I wouldn't miss the extra frills of the Breakaway.