car rental options

cruisePack842

We booked a rental car from Avis for Skagway & I'm looking into renting a car in Juneau as well. For the cost of a car rental (under $70), I think its worth it to drive ourselves. Our ship is the last in port and doesn't dock til 2PM, so I don't want to have to be limited by public transportation being done at 6PM.

I have rented cars in all these ports. However, it depends on YOU and your planning and interests. I never rent cars because it's "cheap". There is a lot to see and do in Alaska, make sure this option is going to suit your sight seeing priorities. I always have specific things I'm doing and going.

Take your time and read up on attractions and activities first.

We rented a mini van in Juneau, drove to Mendenhall Glacier, hiked around a bit, toured the visitor center, then headed to Walmart, (some of our group wanted to purchase wine and beer) Then we returned the car. It was much cheaper than paying for 7 people to take a shore excursion to the glacier and we were on our own time schedule, not that of a tour. It was a miserable cold rainy day or we may have made an effort to see visit a few more sights. That was 5 or 6 years ago and, if I recall correctly, we paid about $70 for what we booked as a 6 hour rental.

Edited by imescaping
punctuation

We rented a mini van in Juneau, drove to Mendenhall Glacier, hiked around a bit, toured the visitor center, then headed to Walmart, (some of our group wanted to purchase wine and beer) Then we returned the car. It was much cheaper than paying for 7 people to take a shore excursion to the glacier and we were on our own time schedule, not that of a tour. It was a miserable cold rainy day or we may have made an effort to see visit a few more sights. That was 5 or 6 years ago and, if I recall correctly, we paid about $70 for what we booked as a 6 hour rental.

I have to ask - how were they able to bring the wine & beer back onboard?

I often bring a bottle of wine onboard Princess that I buy ashore, as well as sodas, fruit, etc. I zip it in my backpack and they run it thru the scanner. No one has ever said anything. Of course it might be different if you're coming back with cases of wine and beer. I'm not sure if policies on going thru bags or checking passengers will change this year with the advent of legal cannabis and stores opening up in the ports.

Depends on the ship - on Azamara you can take as much booze as you like onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Forgot about the ships that allow you to bring on alcohol. Thanks.

I often bring a bottle of wine onboard Princess that I buy ashore, as well as sodas, fruit, etc. I zip it in my backpack and they run it thru the scanner. No one has ever said anything. Of course it might be different if you're coming back with cases of wine and beer. I'm not sure if policies on going thru bags or checking passengers will change this year with the advent of legal cannabis and stores opening up in the ports.

Thanks. May be worth a try. Will be sailing on RCI, not Princess, but figure the most they will do if they catch it is make me check it with them until the end of the cruise.

We booked a rental car from Avis for Skagway & I'm looking into renting a car in Juneau as well. For the cost of a car rental (under $70)' date=' I think its worth it to drive ourselves. Our ship is the last in port and doesn't dock til 2PM, so I don't want to have to be limited by public transportation being done at 6PM.[/quote']

Under $70? wow, I'm making a reservation from Avis for our day in Skagway on 5/9/17, cheapest rate is $132..I wonder why the variation? When are you arriving? Going with Juneau Car Rental in Juneau, that's closer to $70 ($86)

Cheers,

Royce

Under $70? wow, I'm making a reservation from Avis for our day in Skagway on 5/9/17, cheapest rate is $132..I wonder why the variation? When are you arriving? Going with Juneau Car Rental in Juneau, that's closer to $70 ($86)

Cheers,

Royce

In Skagway I haven't seen Avis rates below $100 in years. Sourdough is usually cheaper.

With rental cars, it's a good idea to make reservations early, then check back for rate changes and re-book if the rate goes down. What I've found with Alaska (our first cruise there this year) is that rates have gone down very little (none in Skagway just fyi) in the ports. Instead, they've gone UP in the ports...

However, for our rental in Anchorage for the land portion of our vacation, I've seen the rates go down over $70 over the last 3 months. That savings alone is paying for our rental in Juneau (Juneau Rental cars by the way....older higher mileage cars, but they assured me of help/service if there were any car problems...and I can handle a few door dings or a stain on the carpet...) Everytime the rate goes down, I cancel and re-book... I"m not expecting it to go down much more, but I'll STILL keep checking every week....and rebook if it does. :)