Cruising out of Charleston SC question.

Ajk479

We are leaving out of Charleston, plan on parking at port authority and I have seen mixed post about the walking vs riding. Can you park and walk to the terminal? Or do you have to ride the bus? Also would it be better for one of us to drop our group off and luggage at the terminal then go park or would that be a bigger hassle. I've just had luggage not make it to our room before.... thanks!

it is always best to at least drop all the luggage off first. I would say, if you are sailing with a group, you might as well drop the group off as well and have one person park the car. Decide ahead of time if you are going to go ahead and go inside the terminal and get in line and the person parking the car will check in separately from everyone else and plan accordingly so the right people have the right paperwork and passports or choose for everyone to wait outside the cruise terminal for the person who is parking the car. Just think this out in detail so one person is not stuck outside the terminal without tickets or passport. That would be a big mess.

I can't answer for Charleston specifically, but in general when we drive to a departure port, I always drop everyone and all luggage off at the terminal then go park the car. While I'm parking the car, they can get the luggage checked in. Easier for me to make my way back to the terminal alone and without luggage to meet up with my party.

Charleston is very different than other ports. The luggage drop is as you pull into the parking area. You empty your luggage and then go park. In theory you could walk to the pier from the parking garage, but it is not close, and you should probably just use the bus. Charleston is really easy when you drive yourself. No need to drop people at the pier to wait on you, unless someone has mobility issues.

Zqvol is correct- you drop your luggage at a luggage drop and then park. And theoretically it is close enough to walk from the parking but If I remember correctlu you have to ride the bus- they do not allow you to walk.

Thanks for your responses! I just wondered, I have seen that within the last year they changed and could walk but they dont say anything about it on the site. We will be in the car 9 hours with a toddler and thought that a walk might help. Also to get off the ship with our luggage and not have to wait for a bus. Been there done that and it was awful!

Charleston was one of the easiest ports for us. We managed it with my 85-year-old (at the time) mother-in-law with us. We arrived after the mad rush when it wasn't as busy as in the morning. It was around 2 or so.