Oversupply- for us bargain hunters this year?

Budget Queen

I've got a good feeling that this year, is going to offer some good deals on Alaska cruises. This past week I have gotten multiple price dumps on HAL, Princess and NCL. Last 2 years have been very skimpy and I paid more than I usually do (wouldn't think of not going :) )

I've picked up 2 for this year and leaving next week for almost 6 weeks. But, I just saw today, even HAL's Amsterdam is on the dump rack at $849 this month.

So, just a heads up for the late bookers like me. Keep looking and get on email alerts. Be able to make a quick decision and have that bag packed. :) :) :)

Hope for some great deals for everyone.

I'll hope that you're right BQ - we're on the email lists but don't check actively for pricedrops as it has indeed been slim pickings over the last couple of years. Time to start getting a little more proactive!

My HAL cruise was booked in December --- price has NEVER dropped only increased. Just curious, is the HAL $849 figure the final figure or pre port tax/fees? We are definitely looking forward to the day when we can cruise on short notice.

My HAL cruise was booked in December --- price has NEVER dropped only increased. Just curious, is the HAL $849 figure the final figure or pre port tax/fees? We are definitely looking forward to the day when we can cruise on short notice.

cruise price.

I'm seeing multiple HAL dumps, for Alaska right now.

It's very common for the rates to rise, I'm happy when they do. because- some times, those higher cruises are bypassed by purchasers and then they dump last minute. :) Picked up some nice cruises this way.

I've always done late bookings. I book ahead when I join others.

The trends now are for later dumps but doesn't matter to me. I was checking all day in November to add on to the Sun, and wham- got a cabin on a give away, in the afternoon, packed and left the next morning- for a 34 day cruise. :) ( already was on the 20 day)

Bargain advantage is great. :) I hope to park myself in Alaska in August, through beginning of Sept. this year. just sailing up and down the inside passage.

cruise price.

It's very common for the rates to rise, I'm happy when they do. because- some times, those higher cruises are bypassed by purchasers and then they dump last minute. :) Picked up some nice cruises this way.

The trends now are for later dumps but doesn't matter to me. I was checking all day in November to add on to the Sun, and wham- got a cabin on a give away, in the afternoon, packed and left the next morning- for a 34 day cruise. :) ( already was on the 20 day)

Bargain advantage is great. :) I hope to park myself in Alaska in August, through beginning of Sept. this year. just sailing up and down the inside passage.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Enjoy your Alaskan cruises.

I usually try to find last-minute discounts for June cruises - June works well for our work/family schedule. This year, we booked Island Princess, Whittier to Vancouver, with Glacier Bay, for $649 + $215 (taxes) per person, ocean view obstructed, June 14 sailing. I was very happy with that price. We have two cabins and four people. This sale showed up the first week of April. I found it by monitoring a web site that features last-minute cruise markdowns.

Working in the Northwest, I have skads of Alaska Airlines frequent flier miles. However, I chose to pay cash because the airfare was so low.. Getting to Anchorage is easy for us.

This Cruise Industry News item might explain why HAL is discounting:

"Holland America will have record capacity in Alaska in 2017, 29.2 percent of its total passenger capacity, up from 28.1 percent last year."

Edited by Mercruiser

I've got a good feeling that this year, is going to offer some good deals on Alaska cruises. This past week I have gotten multiple price dumps on HAL, Princess and NCL. Last 2 years have been very skimpy and I paid more than I usually do (wouldn't think of not going :) )

I've picked up 2 for this year and leaving next week for almost 6 weeks. But, I just saw today, even HAL's Amsterdam is on the dump rack at $849 this month.

So, just a heads up for the late bookers like me. Keep looking and get on email alerts. Be able to make a quick decision and have that bag packed. :) :) :)

Hope for some great deals for everyone.

I totally agree with you:D. Just like back in the 2014 season in Alaska. If you are lucky enough to wait until maybe one to two weeks out, I have even seen prices without single supplement for solo cruisers. This could be another 6 week season in Alaska for me;p

I totally agree with you:D. Just like back in the 2014 season in Alaska. If you are lucky enough to wait until maybe one to two weeks out, I have even seen prices without single supplement for solo cruisers. This could be another 6 week season in Alaska for me;p

OH yes, 2014 was a sweet season. I did 7 Alaska cruises, with 10 weeks in Alaska that year. NCL was a winner with their $279 fares on the Sun. But also took the Miracle for 3 cruises, and Pearl.

I wasn't going to do an Alaska cruise this year but happened to go on HALs website a week ago to price R/T Seattle w/Glacier Bay. Just to see. I've never seen them offer a balcony cabin so low on this itinerary. So now I'm leaving this Saturday. I may have to keep checking to see if I can swing another later in the season.

I wasn't going to do an Alaska cruise this year but happened to go on HALs website a week ago to price R/T Seattle w/Glacier Bay. Just to see. I've never seen them offer a balcony cabin so low on this itinerary. So now I'm leaving this Saturday. I may have to keep checking to see if I can swing another later in the season.

NCL is a winner too, with $399 for both the Pearl and Jewel next week. :) :) :)

NCL is a winner too, with $399 for both the Pearl and Jewel next week. :) :) :)

I noticed our NCL cruise June 5-12 (Sun) has balconies $699 and inside $399. They are called sail away cabins and assigned the day before you embark. Balconies are partially or fully obstructed.....

Why have a balcony if it is fully obstructed? Plus you don't have a choice where you want to be (forward, middle, aft). Can you even change once final payment is made to one of these.....and would you want to? This is our first cruise....ever, so just asking about these type of dumps.

I am hoping for a price drop on my Princess cruise to Alaska June 2018. Or even some perks!!

So far nothing! Do you think there will be a sale before my final payment??

Thanks

We are doing a B2B Princess cruise in July of this year. We purchased our cruise opening day as we wanted a particular cabin for both legs of our cruise. Prices did NOT drop the entire time (price only went up) --- price did drop AFTER final payment. Even though we did not get a price drop, I did manage to get a nice OBC and pre-paid gratuities benefit through one of their promotion --- so, make sure to monitor your cruise as you never know what might appear.

cruise price.

what email lists are you on? I'd like to be on them too....

You can sign up at HAL's website and indicate what cruise destinations you are interested in. I unsubscribed recently when I received two marketing emails from them the same day. I do email marketing so I'm a little unforgiving when I receive two marketing emails the same day from the same company.

We are doing a B2B Princess cruise in July of this year. We purchased our cruise opening day as we wanted a particular cabin for both legs of our cruise. Prices did NOT drop the entire time (price only went up) --- price did drop AFTER final payment. Even though we did not get a price drop, I did manage to get a nice OBC and pre-paid gratuities benefit through one of their promotion --- so, make sure to monitor your cruise as you never know what might appear.

I am planning to book an Alaska cruisetour for Aug2018. I am new to Princess....how did that work to monitor for promos to get the prepaid gratuities and OBC after booking?

I am planning to book an Alaska cruisetour for Aug2018. I am new to Princess....how did that work to monitor for promos to get the prepaid gratuities and OBC after booking?

I have never done a cruise tour with Princess so not too sure how promos would work for that type of reservation. For my Princess B2B cruise I kept checking the Princess website to see if any promos were being advertised. Additionally, since I am a Princess past passenger, I would get e-mails advertising their promos. My OBC and pre-paid gratuities just happened to be advertised in an e-mail that I got. I called my TA and asked if my reservation qualified; she checked with Princess and the benefits were applied to my reservation.

You can sign up at HAL's website and indicate what cruise destinations you are interested in. I unsubscribed recently when I received two marketing emails from them the same day. I do email marketing so I'm a little unforgiving when I receive two marketing emails the same day from the same company.

You're lucky --- I signed up with HAL and never received one. Perhaps you got mine by mistake. :D

I noticed our NCL cruise June 5-12 (Sun) has balconies $699 and inside $399. They are called sail away cabins and assigned the day before you embark. Balconies are partially or fully obstructed.....

Why have a balcony if it is fully obstructed? Plus you don't have a choice where you want to be (forward, middle, aft). Can you even change once final payment is made to one of these.....and would you want to? This is our first cruise....ever, so just asking about these type of dumps.

I don't care about any cabin. My priority is NOT to be "confined" to one side viewing, so for MY travel style and Alaska "routine", is to just get the meals lodging and transportation that any ship gives me.

All kinds of people, this is NOT going to work with people who have to have a certain cabin, I am thankful they are paying for part of my trip, frankly. Most important is to KNOW yourself and don't compromise, which I do not. I enjoy Alaska, the more time there the better, my only goal. Leaving tomorrow for my 5+++ week trip. I hope to snag more cruise ship dumps in August and return. :)

I am hoping for a price drop on my Princess cruise to Alaska June 2018. Or even some perks!!

So far nothing! Do you think there will be a sale before my final payment??

Thanks

Yes there can be some drips before final payment- BUT, you are never going to find the lowest price dumps of the last minute cruises until very close to sailing. Recently, it's been only 1-2 weeks ahead, for some lines, which works very well for me.

I don't wait for emails. In the past the last minute price dumps have been more common on HAL, Princess and NCL. I check each of those sites, as example, putting in Alaska and May. A short easy list comes up to compare. I would never bother any further ahead than 30 days, which is typical for these types of "fill in" trips for me.

I don't care about any cabin. My priority is NOT to be "confined" to one side viewing, so for MY travel style and Alaska "routine", is to just get the meals lodging and transportation that any ship gives me.

All kinds of people, this is NOT going to work with people who have to have a certain cabin, I am thankful they are paying for part of my trip, frankly. Most important is to KNOW yourself and don't compromise, which I do not. I enjoy Alaska, the more time there the better, my only goal. Leaving tomorrow for my 5+++ week trip. I hope to snag more cruise ship dumps in August and return. :)

BQ....I'm with you. We purposely chose an inside cabin because we literally will only be in there to shower, sleep, and relax a bit before going to bed. Once we get up and ready....probanly will be gone the rest of the day. We too want to be up on deck and looking around so having coffee on the balcony in the morning just didn't seem right. We'll fill up our Keurig tumblers and head outside!

Hope you have a wonderful trip! We leave 3 weeks from tomorrow for a 3 day stay in Vancouver before sailing. Anxious to hear your reports!

Thank you for all your wisdom....it is greatly appreciated!:)

BQ....I'm with you. We purposely chose an inside cabin because we literally will only be in there to shower, sleep, and relax a bit before going to bed. Once we get up and ready....probanly will be gone the rest of the day. We too want to be up on deck and looking around so having coffee on the balcony in the morning just didn't seem right. We'll fill up our Keurig tumblers and head outside!

Hope you have a wonderful trip! We leave 3 weeks from tomorrow for a 3 day stay in Vancouver before sailing. Anxious to hear your reports!

Thank you for all your wisdom....it is greatly appreciated!:)

I leave tomorrow. :) I too, hope you have a wonderful trip (along with many more, as well).