Rome on sundays taxis easy available?

Wotan758

If you are asking whether taxis are available at the San Pietro train station (closest to the Vatican), the answer is "sometimes". There's not an official taxi rank there, but you may find a couple of taxis looking for fares or just dropping someone off.

However, if you are talking about whether there are taxis at the Vatican itself, there is a large taxi stand just outside the colonnade around Saint Peter's square, on the right hand side if you are facing the basilica.

Taxis are as available on Sundays as any other day, at least in my experience.

The other good news is that traffic is quite light on Sunday's (especially in the morning). The bad news is that much of Rome (especially stores/shops) are closed on Sundays (and Monday mornings).

Hank

My understanding is that on the first Sunday of each month a lot of main sites in rome are free, which means they are very crowded! We are there for Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning, and it's the first weekend of the month. I was thinking we would hit the forum and Capitoline museum on the Saturday then wander around visiting churches and shops on Sunday and Monday morning before heading to our ship. But from what Hank says, it sounds like we won't get to shop at all on Sunday and maybe not on Monday either! So any suggestions how best to use our time? We've done the Vatican thoroughly on our last visit plus colosseum, but probably our favorite thing was wandering through Rome.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

My understanding is that on the first Sunday of each month a lot of main sites in rome are free, which means they are very crowded! We are there for Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning, and it's the first weekend of the month. I was thinking we would hit the forum and Capitoline museum on the Saturday then wander around visiting churches and shops on Sunday and Monday morning before heading to our ship. But from what Hank says, it sounds like we won't get to shop at all on Sunday and maybe not on Monday either! So any suggestions how best to use our time? We've done the Vatican thoroughly on our last visit plus colosseum, but probably our favorite thing was wandering through Rome.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

I did not mean that you will not be able to "shop at all." Some shops that specialize in tourist stuff will be open...even on Sundays. But, for example, if you wanted to browse or shop in the really nice boutiques and designer stores...they will likely be closed. But even on other days of the week, shopping in Italy (and Spain) can require some planning. Many shops are closed during the prime afternoon hours so one should try to shop from 10-1...in many places. Stores will reopen later in the afternoon (often around 4pm) but that does not help cruisers on a port day.

I'll have to disagree with Hank just a little bit here. (As a woman, I notice these things....) Romans have discovered the joys of weekend shopping over the last 5 or so years. Every time I'm there, I notice more and more stores are open on weekends.

I just checked the store hours of a number of top-end stores near the Spanish Steps (e.g., via Condotti and the surrounding streets), and most are open on Sunday and starting from 10:00 am on Mondays. So don't fret too much, you'll find some stores if shopping is your thing.

If you are in the area of the Spanish Steps, you won't be too far from the wonderful monument, the Ara Pacis. I highly recommend a visit here; it's absolutely gorgeous and to me it symbolizes the absolute zenith of Roman art under Augustus, the first emperor.

Cruisemom - I'm hoping you will help me remember a little site. Walking from the area around Trevi to Via del Corso on the way to the Pantheon. On the Trevi side of Via. There are some Roman Columns right up against a building (I think a Water Dept. building). I know it's a tad random. But, the name of those has been bugging me for a few days!

It is one of those random things that a driver or a tour operator would most likely never take someone to see ("not one of the highlights or must-sees"), but I was drawn to them and so happy that I wandered upon them on my DIY ramblings around Rome.

Cruisemom - I'm hoping you will help me remember a little site. Walking from the area around Trevi to Via del Corso on the way to the Pantheon. On the Trevi side of Via. There are some Roman Columns right up against a building (I think a Water Dept. building). I know it's a tad random. But, the name of those has been bugging me for a few days!

It is one of those random things that a driver or a tour operator would most likely never take someone to see ("not one of the highlights or must-sees"), but I was drawn to them and so happy that I wandered upon them on my DIY ramblings around Rome.

Is it this one?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Temple_of_Hadrian_Rome.jpg

That's the Temple of Hadrian; later a papal palace, stock market, then bank. The Albergo Cesari is just next door.

I love how the Romans just incorporated all the old ruins into new buildings without getting rid of them altogether.

Is it this one?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Temple_of_Hadrian_Rome.jpg

That's the Temple of Hadrian; later a papal palace, stock market, then bank. The Albergo Cesari is just next door.

I love how the Romans just incorporated all the old ruins into new buildings without getting rid of them altogether.

That's the one!!! I knew you would know it. I remember that there is a small ceramics shop across from it, and I think there was a puppet shop just up from it on the same side.

Wonder how many private tours get to see this, or are just driven on the other street past in order to quickly get to the next big thing?

Do private excursions get over to the ruins at Largo Argentina that are home to the cat sanctuary? Love that place, too. I always visit the felines and make a donation to their care.

I'll have to disagree with Hank just a little bit here. (As a woman, I notice these things....) Romans have discovered the joys of weekend shopping over the last 5 or so years. Every time I'm there, I notice more and more stores are open on weekends.

I just checked the store hours of a number of top-end stores near the Spanish Steps (e.g., via Condotti and the surrounding streets), and most are open on Sunday and starting from 10:00 am on Mondays. So don't fret too much, you'll find some stores if shopping is your thing.

If you are in the area of the Spanish Steps, you won't be too far from the wonderful monument, the Ara Pacis. I highly recommend a visit here; it's absolutely gorgeous and to me it symbolizes the absolute zenith of Roman art under Augustus, the first emperor.

DW agrees with you....especially on the shopping around the Spanish Steps. But the further you get from the tourist center....the more places that are closed. I also recall that shopping in Trastevere was OK on Sunday...although not necessarily in the higher-end shops.

Hank