Entertainment/Activities

I commented on this on my survey after my last 14 day cruise. I was so surprised at the lack of activities on sea days. I thought it was very odd they didn't even show the movie in the afternoon on sea days, but they did when the ship was in port. I would have loved to go see a film during the afternoon on a sea day. It really doesn't take much crew time to put some popcorn out and hit "play."

The thing is, on our last NA cruise last month, virtually no one took advantage of the day activities offered by the activities director apart from music trivia. People in the Crows Nest just made their own entertainment. I do wish the AD had organized more pool games tho.

I commented on this on my survey after my last 14 day cruise. I was so surprised at the lack of activities on sea days. I thought it was very odd they didn't even show the movie in the afternoon on sea days, but they did when the ship was in port. I would have loved to go see a film during the afternoon on a sea day. It really doesn't take much crew time to put some popcorn out and hit "play."

I agree. It doesn't take much to entertain me, but I do like movies and bingo on sea days. Could never understand why movies were offered on port days but not sea days. Heck, they don't even have to put out popcorn. :D

I know I'm in the minority, but I've not found one piano bar entertainer yet who I cared to listen to. Usually I walk past as fast as I can....maybe it's because my sister was a concert pianist and her husband a professional singer, who knows.

I'm happy with Adagio and BB King (I know, strange combination, but I love both).

I agree. It doesn't take much to entertain me, but I do like movies and bingo on sea days. Could never understand why movies were offered on port days but not sea days. Heck, they don't even have to put out popcorn. :D

I know I'm in the minority, but I've not found one piano bar entertainer yet who I cared to listen to. Usually I walk past as fast as I can....maybe it's because my sister was a concert pianist and her husband a professional singer, who knows.

I'm happy with Adagio and BB King (I know, strange combination, but I love both).

We had movies on sea days on the Eurodam in December. (All daily programs at the link in case you need proof.)

I've long suspected that we travel in a Bubble of Awesome. I guess it's true. We don't even watch movies on cruise ships, yet there they were, scheduled every single day, just in case we changed our minds. :D

We had movies on sea days on the Eurodam in December. (All daily programs at the link in case you need proof.)

I've long suspected that we travel in a Bubble of Awesome. I guess it's true. We don't even watch movies on cruise ships, yet there they were, scheduled every single day, just in case we changed our minds. :D

I don't think this is the link that you were trying to post. Unless you can buy high heel shoes on the boat now.:D

Just out of curiosity...what is a "Bubble of Awesome"?? :confused:

Every ship seems to be different. I hope there's a nice film on the sea days next week when I'm on the Eurodam.

And, yeah Cruising-along, it doesn't take a whole lot to entertain me either. I don't really need popcorn. And I probably would have attended Bingo if it didn't always conflict with happy hour! I want my hors d'ouevres.

No need for proof I believe you. [emoji846]

We have had cruises where movies were offered on sea days too. Just not recently. As mentioned, each cruise can be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH and I are cruising on K'dam in a couple of weeks - our 2nd HAL cruise. This is a port intensive 14 day Baltic itinerary. We do have several sea days (4 total) and are looking forward to playing cards, reading, enjoying some hot tub time and perhaps joining in the slot tournament when we're not in port and couldn't care less about entertainment beyond that. We can't wait for mornings on our balcony with coffee in hand. :) It will be perfect for us. If we wanted more entertainment, there was a similar Princess cruise we could have booked.

Would I book a 14 day Caribbean cruise on HAL? Probably not. We like to be a little more active on board the ship during a warm weather cruise. We have 14 day Princess and Carnival cruises booked for the next 2 Januarys. We'll come back to HAL for another port intensive cruise later.

I am interested in Norway and the British Isles. We will definitely consider HAL for those cruises.

I love that we have so many choices! :D

The thing is, there used to be many activities catering to a variety of interests, moods, demographics, etc. When my (adult) sons and I started cruising (on HAL) they would find activities that interested them while I went off to something else. Often each of us had to choose between things we wanted to do, always something interesting to do or see. Mix and mingle with others who enjoyed the same things we each did. But so many of these activities were not revenue producing which targeted them for elimination in favor of things that do bring in the bucks. I find I do not look forward to cruising anymore - the "specialness" is gone and I think the only way to (perhaps) find it again is to try other lines.

I found the same. I don't like the direction in which Holland America is Heading in the Entertainment side of things.)

Ref fewer daytime activities-Do you think this is primarily a cost saving or do they think we will spend more money? Anyone for drinking or gambling all day??

Spa treatments, get your teeth whitened, buy a painting, buy jewelry, have acupuncture treatments, take cooking class, wine tasting class, join a fitness class .......or read a book for free. Snooze, walk around the deck, sort your photos, watch a movie, have tea, and move on to your next meal. Still free.

• 3 weeks later...