Tips for Western Med Cruise

Next October, we have booked a 9 night Western Med trip on Symphony. Would love to hear your best tips for our first European cruise.

Additional background: we have been on a handful of cruises all with RCI to the Caribbean and Bahamas (including one of Symphony's sisters, Allure). We will be Diamond just before this cruise. Our itinerary departs from Barcelona and goes to Palma, Marseille, Florence, Rome, Naples and Valencia. Work schedules will allow us to fly in two days prior to departure and I am planning to use Hilton points for free hotel nights. We have a 2C Oceanview with Large Balcony on the hump on Deck 11 Starboard. We will be flying back to the US in the afternoon of disembarkation day.

The tips that I have received from everyone over the last few years from these boards have been incredible and I thank you all for them. Would love to read your pointers for this trip. TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by mjgep0316

Next October, we have booked a 9 night Western Med trip on Symphony. Would love to hear your best tips for our first European cruise.

Additional background: we have been on a handful of cruises all with RCI to the Caribbean and Bahamas (including one of Symphony's sisters, Allure). We will be Diamond just before this cruise. Our itinerary departs from Barcelona and goes to Palma, Marseille, Florence, Rome, Naples and Valencia. Work schedules will allow us to fly in two days prior to departure and I am planning to use Hilton points for free hotel nights. We have a 2C Oceanview with Large Balcony on the hump on Deck 11 Starboard. We will be flying back to the US in the afternoon of disembarkation day.

The tips that I have received from everyone over the last few years from these boards have been incredible and I thank you all for them. Would love to read your pointers for this trip. TIA

Hi Tia!!! My family will also be taking the Western Med cruise out of Barcelona on Symphony of the Seas, but for 7 nights instead of 9 and we will also be first time med cruisers. I was going to ask for help and ran into your post. I will closely follow as whatever information you gather will be of help to me.;)

Some ideas and suggestions:

1) Tipping onboard the ship ( a common question) - generally speaking the crew like getting tipped in US dollars (easier to use on the ship, send back home to family unless you're from Europe). Also it's tough if you tip with Euro coins (I think they go up to 5 Euros in coins and then bills from 10 Euros and up) they can't exchange them, only use them in European ports.

2) Some of your ports will be a fair distance from the attraction city. For example for Rome you dock in Civitavecchia (sorry if I got the spelling wrong) which is about an hour away from Rome itself. Same with the port servicing Florence (you're a couple of hours away from Florence).

3) You should consider what you want to see - architecture, historical sights, scenery etc. as you will have all of these as options in the ports you are visiting. Try and balance it out - you can go crazy on historical sites and then by the end you're like another museum blah, blah, blah. Also try and pace yourself a little bit as there is a lot of go go go once you're in the ports.

4) You should try the Ports of Call forum for suggestions on private tour operators and things to see and do.

I can't think of anymore off the top of my head but will reply again if I do. Enjoy - it's a fabulous trip!!

We rarely do ship offered excursions...but for this itinerary we used a combination of both and it worked great. We loved using RomeinLimo for our port stop private tour in Rome just the two of us car & driver/guide...we also added a private tour of the Vatican...amazing company!!

We did a 12 night out of Barcelona last year. I had almost as much fun planning it as I did on the cruise. We are mostly DIY folks.

My advice is to remember that you can't see everything. Spend some time reading about the ports, decide what you most want to do, and then figure out how to do that. The ports of call board is a great resource!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I am planning to use Hilton points for free hotel nights.

Forums

Its been a while but youur hilton options in Barcelona are limited. The best location is the Alexandra but I've had trouble finding standard rooms for point stays here. Hilton Barcelona appears to have standard availability. We'll be staying at the Alexandra on a paid stay the night before our 7 night cruise in june.

Its been a while but youur hilton options in Barcelona are limited. The best location is the Alexandra but I've had trouble finding standard rooms for point stays here. Hilton Barcelona appears to have standard availability. We'll be staying at the Alexandra on a paid stay the night before our 7 night cruise in june.

Thanks! We were looking at the Hilton Diagonal Mar which is closer to the beach and further from the City. We are willing to take a cab to cultural hubs. Anyone ever stay there?

We rarely do ship offered excursions...but for this itinerary we used a combination of both and it worked great. We loved using RomeinLimo for our port stop private tour in Rome just the two of us car & driver/guide...we also added a private tour of the Vatican...amazing company!!

Although the op said they were starting their cruise from Barcelona, we began our Western Med itinerary in Rome where we had the pleasure of using RomeinLimo. Great company! We flew into Rome for a few days prior to our sailing and they met us at the airport and then accompanied us around Rome. Definitely use them for the private Vatican tour if you have the time. This is a wonderful cruise and port intensive so pace yourselves. Enjoy!

Thanks! We were looking at the Hilton Diagonal Mar which is closer to the beach and further from the City. We are willing to take a cab to cultural hubs. Anyone ever stay there?

Stayed there in 2014, it is near mall and across the street from hop on hop off bus. This is a great way to see the city. There are 3 different routes.

Stayed there in 2014, it is near mall and across the street from hop on hop off bus. This is a great way to see the city. There are 3 different routes.

That sounds perfect! Thanks.

1) Tipping onboard the ship ( a common question) - generally speaking the crew like getting tipped in US dollars (easier to use on the ship, send back home to family unless you're from Europe). Also it's tough if you tip with Euro coins (I think they go up to 5 Euros in coins and then bills from 10 Euros and up) they can't exchange them, only use them in European ports.

2) Some of your ports will be a fair distance from the attraction city. For example for Rome you dock in Civitavecchia (sorry if I got the spelling wrong) which is about an hour away from Rome itself. Same with the port servicing Florence (you're a couple of hours away from Florence).

3) You should consider what you want to see - architecture, historical sights, scenery etc. as you will have all of these as options in the ports you are visiting. Try and balance it out - you can go crazy on historical sites and then by the end you're like another museum blah, blah, blah. Also try and pace yourself a little bit as there is a lot of go go go once you're in the ports.

4) You should try the Ports of Call forum for suggestions on private tour operators and things to see and do.

I can't think of anymore off the top of my head but will reply again if I do. Enjoy - it's a fabulous trip!!

Great advice...thanks so much!

Good evening!!! I liked some of your tips, but I need a little more clarification, because as I mentioned earlier, I have never done any cruise outside the USA...1-Should we have euro currency to spend in ports? 2-Do we only use US currency to tip on board? 3-I guess I am asking is it best to have both? 4-How do I go about getting euro currency prior to sailing? 5-Are US credit cards accepted, if so is there a specific one? THANK-YOU!!!;)

We are booked on the same cruise and also arrive 2 days before. The main shopping/tourist street is La Rambla. Go down some of the narrow lanes off this street, (nearer the harbour) for some great restaurants.

For Rome, catch the train. The station is very close to the port and only a few Euros for a return trip, with a regular service. I have done this before with plenty of time and will do again.

In Palma, (Majorca), There is a hop on, hop off bus close to the port, as well as the main shopping district..

The other stops are further away as others have mentioned.

Good evening!!! I liked some of your tips, but I need a little more clarification, because as I mentioned earlier, I have never done any cruise outside the USA...1-Should we have euro currency to spend in ports? 2-Do we only use US currency to tip on board? 3-I guess I am asking is it best to have both? 4-How do I go about getting euro currency prior to sailing? 5-Are US credit cards accepted, if so is there a specific one? THANK-YOU!!!;)

Yes, I'd say take Euros for use ashore.Either prebuy them or use an ATM dockside - don't use the CR desk, you'll get a poor exchange rate.

Again, yes, US$ for.tipping onboard. Take small bills 1s and 5s.

US credit cards - Visa, Mastercard, are accepted across Europe as readily as they are in the US.

Yes, I'd say take Euros for use ashore.Either prebuy them or use an ATM dockside - don't use the CR desk, you'll get a poor exchange rate.

US credit cards - Visa, Mastercard, are accepted across Europe as readily as they are in the US.

I also recommend notifying your credit card companies of your trip so you don't run into a fraud alert situations with holds being placed on them.

I just buy euros at my bank before leaving.

THANK-YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!! :halo:

I also recommend notifying your credit card companies of your trip so you don't run into a fraud alert situations with holds being placed on them.

I just buy euros at my bank before leaving.

SUPER IDEA!!!Thank you as well ;)

• 2 months later...

You're about to have a wonderful trip establishing great memories.

1. Book excursions very early. We used private excursions through share a shore.

2. Wherever possible, buy upfront 'skip the lines' tickets for any & all attractions.

3. Sagrada Familia in Barcelona is a must see IMO and you have to buy the tour tickets early as this ALWAYS sold out.

4. If possible, get & use a credit card that is no charge for U.S. currency conversion.

5. Your roll call is a great source for adding to an existing tour or for adding others to a tour you've started.

6. Wherever possible, avoid the large 'bus' style yours. The smaller the better.

7. The pick pockets, theft, via distraction and grab is indeed for real. Take this seriously and plan accordingly. The con artists and gypsies are experts at getting wallets, phones, purses, backpacks, and personal items in general.

Enjoy your cruise! We loved ours!

Flamenco is a must in Barcelona, as said lots of Restaurants and bars, The hop on off bus is a thing to try.

Marseille is a bit of a dump, we did a tour to Aix-En-Provence and then down to Cassis, a little harbour with a small beach, we had a great lunch. Tour by http://www.provence-travel.com/author/catherine/ Catherine was so helpful throughout the booking process.

Rome and Florence we used Dany from Tuscan Heart http://www.tuscanheart.com Dany is great. Organise what you want with him. He knows where the best Gelato is served.

Are you docking in Naples or Solerno? Dany again offers tours along the coast with lunch in Sorento for some of the best Pizza.

We use a card that has no exchange fees, that way we use it to pay euros and generally get a good exchange rate but there are no extra fees that some card providers charge. Euros in cash will always be useful for taxis or tours.

Rome if you want to visit the Vatican or Colosseum tickets can be purchased early to skip the queues. Vatican http://www.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani/en.html

Colosseum http://www.coopculture.it/en/ticket_office.cfm

You're about to have a wonderful trip establishing great memories.

1. Book excursions very early. We used private excursions through share a shore.

2. Wherever possible, buy upfront 'skip the lines' tickets for any & all attractions.

3. Sagrada Familia in Barcelona is a must see IMO and you have to buy the tour tickets early as this ALWAYS sold out.

4. If possible, get & use a credit card that is no charge for U.S. currency conversion.

5. Your roll call is a great source for adding to an existing tour or for adding others to a tour you've started.

6. Wherever possible, avoid the large 'bus' style yours. The smaller the better.

7. The pick pockets, theft, via distraction and grab is indeed for real. Take this seriously and plan accordingly. The con artists and gypsies are experts at getting wallets, phones, purses, backpacks, and personal items in general.

Enjoy your cruise! We loved ours!

In regards to Sagrada Familia, I bought the Barcelona pass, which offers transportation and some discounts on entry tickets, so I was hoping to wait until I get to barcelona to buy Sagrada Familia tickets...now I'm worried it will be sold out as you said. We arrive in Barcelona in the morning on the day BEFORE the cruise. Is it best to do Sagrada Familia first during that day to try to be the first to get tickets

In regards to Sagrada Familia, I bought the Barcelona pass, which offers transportation and some discounts on entry tickets, so I was hoping to wait until I get to barcelona to buy Sagrada Familia tickets...now I'm worried it will be sold out as you said. We arrive in Barcelona in the morning on the day BEFORE the cruise. Is it best to do Sagrada Familia first during that day to try to be the first to get tickets

Buy them now! You might even be able to get a small private group tour via your roll call. http://www.sagradafamilia.org/en/tiquets/

BTW.... Barcelona, like other European cities locations is just beautiful. So beautiful that often It can be deceiving as well. For example, when enjoying tapas an outside table, do NOT use your phone. Believe this. You are bring watched very closely. Phones are stolen multiple times on a daily basis. Taken right off your table quite easily w/o you even knowing it. Slight of hand is a very often used tactic.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

1). I have to disagree here. The crew prefer tips in euros so they can spend them in the countries where the ship is based. Ie Spain, France and Italy!

2) Some of your ports will be a fair distance from the attraction city. For example for Rome you dock in Civitavecchia

Agreed. It is very easy to use public transport to get into Rome from Civitivecchia. THe direct train is very cheap. Less than 10 euro. Get off at St Pietro for Vatican city.

Same with Marseilles. Get the train to Monte Carlo.

Book private tours for Florence and Pisa in Livorno.

Have fun. ATMs or local banks are best for currency exchange. Not airports or cruise ships!!!!!