Fish/seafood/crab seasons?

victw

Cruising in a week.

I've seen all the recommendations for crab and seafood. But what's in season and when?

Lots of the recommended places are pricey. I'd love to focus on what's fished fresh and local. Would be a bummer to get some frozen.

Anyone have this information? I'm particularly curious about the famous crab.

Thanks.

Vic

King Crab is all going to be frozen. Dungarees Crab can be fresh or frozen. :) going next week is going to be mostly all frozen. Your out of season for most all salmon.

:D Dungarees. Was that a typo? An autocorrect issue? Or is there a story behind it?

The commercial troll season is open for king salmon, as are some areas for shrimp pots, but most crab right now will be frozen. I have no qualms about eating previously frozen Alaska seafood that has been well handled, and most restaurants in S.E. Alaska know where to get it. Enjoy your trip!

:D Dungarees. Was that a typo? An autocorrect issue? Or is there a story behind it?

It's Dungeness Crab - what you'll find here in SF and all along the west coast. Due to a late start for the current season, the commercial catch will continue into July (2017). So, fresh crab should be plentiful.

If you're used to those little blue crabs from the Chesapeake Bay Area, are you in for a real treat! Dungeness are significantly larger and far meatier/sweeter. One average sized crab is usually enough for a single person. If possible look for a restaurant that prepares it Vietnamese style.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The main commercial King crab fishery (as in the TV shows) is in the winter.

Where are you sailing from/to? Your odds of getting good fish including shellfish are probably better in Seattle/Vancouver than elsewhere.

The main commercial King crab fishery (as in the TV shows) is in the winter.

Where are you sailing from/to? Your odds of getting good fish including shellfish are probably better in Seattle/Vancouver than elsewhere.

Sailing from San Francisco to Vancouver - we will be staying a few days in Vancouver.

I realize that most of the fish is frozen on the boat when it's caught. But I wondered what I'd be eating at places like Tracy's crab shack where the prices seem to match the reputation.

Vic

Sailing from San Francisco to Vancouver - we will be staying a few days in Vancouver.

I realize that most of the fish is frozen on the boat when it's caught. But I wondered what I'd be eating at places like Tracy's crab shack where the prices seem to match the reputation.

Vic

Tracy's crab shack? Just go to a local supermarket and by a Dungeness crab.

Great thread! We are sailing in 2 weeks (RT Seattle) and I too am hoping to get really fresh seafood in AK.

> The commercial troll season is open for king salmon

I would also love to bring home some king salmon - it is by far my favorite and I can't get it locally, so this made my ears perk up. Was wondering if the Pike Place fish place would have it mid-May and if they could flash-freeze a couple that I could bring home. Thinking I could pay for them before the cruise and pick them up on the way to the airport. I need to call them and ask.

I emailed Tracy to ask whether they would be open when we cruise and if they would have anything fresh rather than frozen. She assured me they would be open and didn't say anything about what would be fresh. :(

It's Dungeness Crab - what you'll find here in SF and all along the west coast. Due to a late start for the current season, the commercial catch will continue into July (2017). So, fresh crab should be plentiful.

If you're used to those little blue crabs from the Chesapeake Bay Area, are you in for a real treat! Dungeness are significantly larger and far meatier/sweeter. One average sized crab is usually enough for a single person. If possible look for a restaurant that prepares it Vietnamese style.

I realize the crab is a Dungeness. I was curious as to why Budget Queen referred to it as dungarees. I didn't know if it was a typo or if there was a story behind calling it dungarees.

I realize the crab is a Dungeness. I was curious as to why Budget Queen referred to it as dungarees. I didn't know if it was a typo or if there was a story behind calling it dungarees.

The gramma and spelin on Cruz Cricket aint to gud.

Great thread! We are sailing in 2 weeks (RT Seattle) and I too am hoping to get really fresh seafood in AK.

> The commercial troll season is open for king salmon

I would also love to bring home some king salmon - it is by far my favorite and I can't get it locally, so this made my ears perk up. Was wondering if the Pike Place fish place would have it mid-May and if they could flash-freeze a couple that I could bring home. Thinking I could pay for them before the cruise and pick them up on the way to the airport. I need to call them and ask.

I emailed Tracy to ask whether they would be open when we cruise and if they would have anything fresh rather than frozen. She assured me they would be open and didn't say anything about what would be fresh. :(

As a rule, the earlier in the season the higher the prices. Don't know where Tracy's sources their products, but given the volume they sell, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of it comes from the same wholesalers that sell to supermarkets and other restaurants.

That is definitely true of the fish stands at the Pike Place market; they're fish retailers who buy their products through a variety of suppliers. Some of the product is fresh and comes from local sources, but the majority is bought from the same people who supply supermarket chains. In mid-May you're probably only going to find very expensive fresh wild salmon if there's any present at all. Much will be farmed fish from the US (and mainly Canada.) The big ballyhoo will come around May 20 this year when the first Copper River salmon arrives in Seattle, during a blizzard of publicity - TV coverage of the fish being offloaded a chartered Alaska Airlines 737, talking heads on local news raving about it, restaurants offering Copper River salmon dinners for the low low price of $40, etc. Hype, pure and simple, a triumph of marketing over substance. If you want good wild salmon early in the season, talk to your local supermarket fish department. And yes, the Pike Place people will take phone orders, credit cards, and will ship anywhere. No need to do it in person.

Probably auto-complete on a mobile device, or those pesky vixens Alexa or Siri showing their sense of humor.

Because 'fresh' is not applicable to Tracy's or any other AKC venue in Alaska. Even the soup is in big tubs in the freezer!

If you've only ever had AKC as legs in steakhouses etc. you'll enjoy it just as much - probably more because you're on vacation and it's hard to separate the subjective hype from the objective quality of what you're eating. But it really is hard to go back to frozen crab when you've had fresh. Dungeness is frankly a tastier crab than AKC to my palate to begin with, and the fact you can actually get it fresh across much of the West Coast for big swathes of the year...

I'm 100% with GL on the 'Copper River Salmon = Marketing, not Quality' bandwagon and frozen AKC costing significantly more than fresh Dungeness is an equally ludicrous situation from a quality standpoint. Just because people are willing to risk their lives to catch a thing doesn't make it an inherently better tasting thing! I also don't blame the fish-flingers at Pike for jacking up their pricing - you're paying for the show people! - but you can buy fish that's just as fresh and tasty from plenty of other less-touristy, cheaper establishments.

> you can buy fish that's just as fresh and tasty from plenty of other less-touristy, cheaper establishments

I would love any suggestions. None of my local stores can even order king salmon, which is why I want to find some in Seattle that the seller would fillet and freeze and pack for me to take home. (Of course fresh is preferable but not feasible in this case.) They just need to be near the pier or Sea-Tac to buy on the way to the ship and pick up on the way to the airport. Otherwise paying for the show would be cheaper than cab fare.

Here are the fish throwers at the Pike market - https://www.pikeplacefish.com/ Their whole Kings at the moment (only fresh product available) are $26 a pound before shipping. You're probably looking at $250 for a whole fish, give or take.

The Wild Salmon market at Fishermen's Terminal in Seattle (where during the Puget Sound season they actually buy product right from the fishers) is here - http://wildsalmonseafood.com/ . Their price for whole Kings (aka "in the round") is $20/lb before shipping.

The Uwajimaya Asian supermarket/department store in downtown Seattle (which IMO has not only the best seafood section in Seattle but is also a fabulous place for tourists to visit while here) will also pack and ship fresh seafood. You'd need to phone them for pricing. The store is between the waterfront and the airport; they might be able to pack product while you wait. They'd probably put it in dry ice rather than freezing it. http://www.uwajimaya.com/stores/seattle

I would love any suggestions.

Specific to Seattle I can't offer better ideas than GL's listed above - we're always short-term tourists in Seattle, so rarely have access to cooking facilities. Killed a few hours waiting for Bolt bus in Uwajimaya though, they do have some nice looking fish.

While I pay most attention to Sockeye pricing - my fave - I think you're paying a hefty premium this early in the season at the prices GL is mentioning. I only buy King when I can't get Sockeye; up here I've never paid more than CAD$30 a kilo for either in fillet form (usual price is $20-23 in peak season, about the same as for frozen year-round - approx USD$7-8/lb) and the whole-fish price is always lower (my local supermarket pricing - fancier joints can certainly add a few bucks to these prices).

This year I do expect an increase thanks to the continuing troubles with farmed salmon, especially in Chile, driving up demand for wild further and what looks like a lower expected harvest (I'm seeing numbers in the low 40M, compared to low-mid 50M the last two years, for wild sockeye) - last week I saw frozen wild Sockeye closing in on $29 a kilo in my usual store, but right now that's just the usual supply issue as the last of the frozen fish are running short before the new season's fresh catch comes in. It's possible the King fishery is expecting an even worse drop - I don't pay as much attention to that.

Our local Safeway in Portland is more expensive these days with CAD in the hole, more like US$10-12 a pound last summer instead of what would have cost me US$8 if I was paying the same price as I do in Vancouver - but then Oregon's share of wild salmon is always much lower than even WA, let alone BC/AK, so there's always a bit of a price hike on fresh salmon down there as they have much less caught in local waters.

OP here.

Thanks everyone super interesting thread.

I won't worry about the freshness but will enjoy the hype at a few places. I saw pictures of a crab leg bloody mary in ISP that looked like fun.

One of our pair is a vegetarian - so a place like Tracy's just isn't a draw. We both love good food - so I'll keep my eyes open for fresh - and ask lots of questions. Probably enjoying most of my seafood on the ship - ship is supposed to server great food.

Thanks.

Vic

Thanks so much for the seafood market tips. I've saved them all and will see what I can manage to hit (transportation and accessibility are both stumbling blocks). I'm hoping to buy at least 2 whole fish, do you know if any of those markets will fillet them for me after purchase? I'd love to buy Alaskan king salmon in Alaska, but it wouldn't last until we get home.

I know I'll pay a premium for king, but it simply isn't available locally. It has been at least 5 years since I have had any, probably more like 10. DH is resigned to me blowing up the credit cards on this cruise anyway, this will just be another nail in the coffin. lol

victw, you might want to check out Timberline atop Mt Roberts in Juneau. They have a vegan lentil sandwich and vegan lentil & black bean loaf on the menu, as well as tons of seafood for the non-vegetarian. I have NO idea of the food quality but it's on my list of places I want to try!

Although you couldn't pay me enough to brave the cattle pen that is Tracy's Crab Shack, I personally know that she sources her crab; it doesn't come from Costco. She literally started with a shack, selling local seafood that her husband and his friends caught. She takes pride in her products. Yes, her bisque is made in big vats and frozen. Feel free to go into any restaurant which is serving large quantities of customers seven days a week and see if any do any different.

Unfortunately, Juneau doesn't have any of those hole in the wall serving the catch of the day sort of places. The upscale restaurants will have whatever is in season and fresh on their daily special menus. It's not just a matter of what's in season but they have to get it, and get enough to serve their expected customers for the day.

I'd recommend checking Salt (also owned and operated by Tracy) which is basically the nicest place in Juneau. All sorts of locally sourced dishes, including vegetarian selections: http://www.saltalaska.com/dinner-menu/

The Rookery is another good bet and a bit cheaper.

Any place with a laminated menu is unlikely to have fresh anything. But yes, our frozen seafood is superior to frozen food sold Outside. Every home has a large freezer separate from the fridge and even the home cook knows how to freeze food properly because we have to.

The halibut season has started here in Washington state, I believe Alaska starts a little later, but I'm not sure when. I'm obviously not a fisher person, although I enjoy eating fresh seafood.:D

Halibut season was mid March here. Know as I follow it, so, I can hit my favorite restaurant for fresh halibut.

With that, the seafood industry, views Flash Frozen as fresh here!

Susan in Anchorage :)