Juneau backup things to do

EndersFoul

hi all

We are booked on the helo/glacier & dog sled tour in Juneau. I've heard that this tour could be cancelled due to weather.

My question is what do we do last minute in juneau? I'm assuming we won't be able to book another tour due to the limited time.

If so interested, the Alaska State Capitol and the Governor's Mansion is within walking distance of the cruise ship docks. When I was last there, a free tour was offered of the State Capitol that I found very informative. I don't know if it is still available, but I imagine one could find that out if you wished. No tour available of the Governor's Mansion as far as I know, but it is a very stately looking home for Alaska's First Family.

Thanks everyone! Hopefully our tour isn't cancelled and if so we can book something with the ship. But these are great backup ideas it's good to know there's stuff we can do on our own as well!

The new state museum is within walking distance of the docks or a short cab ride for the mobility challenged. The hours: http://museums.alaska.gov/documents/press_releases/20170427_summerHours.pdf

The museum opened last year. The museum is about a 15 -20 minute walk from the cruise dock. It was one of best museums I have been to. I was at the museum for 3 hours, but easily could of been there for 5 hours as there is so much to see. The museum gives a complete history of Alaska up to last year.

One of the reasons it gets canceled so much is that the dogs are based at only one area per company. If the weather is bad there it is canceled but there are many other areas where the helo could land without dogs so be ready to answer the question "would you like glacier landing without dogs?" and ask about pricing.

sightcrr

One of the reasons it gets canceled so much is that the dogs are based at only one area per company. If the weather is bad there it is canceled but there are many other areas where the helo could land without dogs so be ready to answer the question "would you like glacier landing without dogs?" and ask about pricing.

sightcrr

Good to know! Do you know when they usually cancel it- how long will we have to make other arrangements? And if we are booked thru the ship how do they notify us? Thanks!

When our heli tour got scrubbed due to weather we were able to switch to a whale watching tour (big boat type - lots of room). We then had some time so took city bus to Glacier Gardens and since it was between ship tours had the place to ourselves. Very interesting and nice view from the top of the hill - also a lot less $$ than the ship tour would have been. This time the museum is definitely on our to-do list.

Good to know! Do you know when they usually cancel it- how long will we have to make other arrangements? And if we are booked thru the ship how do they notify us? Thanks!

Many times, this is a last minute cancellation. I would NOT bother depending the "ship" for other tours. KNOW, ahead of time, what you'd do. Have phone numbers, cabs, vendors etc, what ever you decide. Time is short in port, don't waste it. Just move, on your own right to your alternative touring. Very simple with advance planning.

http://www.traveljuneau.com