Broken ankle p&o Britania

Broke my ankle a week ago and go on my Med cruise on 25th June so I have about 7 weeks til I go. Not sure when I'll get my cast off (may need an operation will find out this week if I do). So do I go my cruise (first holiday in 6 years) or do I cancel it. No idea if I'll still b in cast. How much notice do you need to give ur insurance to cancel and does

It take a long time for them to pay out?

You really need to check your insurance policy...they are all quite different in their coverages and caveats!

Yeh was gonna wait til after my X-ray on Friday then I'll call them. To be honest cos I have 2 young kids I wasn't gonna go on any tours and mostly stick to the pet areas and the ship and enjoy the ship quietly particularly on busy port days like Rome.

I am renting a scooter for the first time this year. It is supposed to be delivered to the ship. My cruise line recommended the names of 2 companies that deliver wheelchairs or walkers to the ship.

Let your airline know you will need a wheelchair, then they will have a wheelchair to get you to and from the plane.

Let your cruise line know, and they will have a wheel chair to take you on and off the ship the first and last day. Other then that you will be on your own to around the ship and off and on the ship at your port of calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh I'm not flying I'm going by coach from Glasgow to Southampton. I have a collapsible wheelchair I have got from the Red Cross. So I'd probably take that. Does anyone knw if I had to change to an accessible cabin and it costs more would the insurance

Pay the difference

Oh I'm not flying I'm going by coach from Glasgow to Southampton. I have a collapsible wheelchair I have got from the Red Cross. So I'd probably take that. Does anyone knw if I had to change to an accessible cabin and it costs more would the insurance

Pay the difference

All of your insurance related questions need to be addressed to the insurance carrier - no one here (unless they are an insurance expert familiar with your specific policy) can answer that for certain. Regarding availability, flexibility, and costs associated with changing to an accessible stateroom, that is a question only answered by the cruise line. I would contact both sooner than later to discuss your situation and options with them. Only then will you have the right information at hand to make the best decisions.

As to whether or not you should cancel, only you - with your doctor's evaluation - can answer that based on how you feel and what - if any - mobility restrictions you may have at the time.

Sorry to not be more helpful but you are asking questions that really can't be answered accurately on CC. Hope it all work out for you.

On our cruise out of Southampton all handicap rooms were sold out a long time ago.

What cruise line are you on?

I read 2 cruise lines do not allow walkers, wheelchairs and scooters.

Call your cruise line.

I broke my ankle 6 weeks before my Adriatic cruise. We did not cancel because our insurance would not cover cancellation.

If I needed a wheelchair I would have preferred a scooter. A wheelchair means your companion is going to need to provide the muscle power every time you leave the room.

Unless you have strong upper body muscles self-propelling a wheelchair is more intensive than crutches to me.

I did not have surgery. I was out of cast/boot at 5 weeks but wore an ankle support. I was able to walk and be on my feet for several hours each day, though I always had swelling by the end of the day. After early dinner I was in the room with my foot propped up and an ice bag and OTC pain med.

Bottom line,

• First and most importantly listen to your doctor. My niece had ankle surgery for her fracture and then did far more than her doctor allowed and ended up needing a second surgery and years more pain.
  • If you can cancel and recoup your expenses I would do that, hopefully reschedule for a few months from now.
  • If you want to go anyway, know your limits and don't push too hard. Get lots of rest with your foot up.
  • Consider the scooter rather than wheelchair.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear about the blown ankle. Hope you get a non-surgical resolution!

Instead of the bulky wheelchair or full-blown (and bulky and annoying) scooter, look at a "knee scooter." My ortho recommends them now to keep you more active and sitting in a chair. If you get tired, you can sit on it and rest. They are rentable here in the US. Look on the Internet to see what they are and then "shop" for it in the UK.

Good luck!

Oh that might be a good shout thanks. At the moment I'm using a chair with my knee on it and gliding across my laminate floor lol my knee is killing me mostly cos the cast is digging in if I get the cast off that could be an option

Ahh ok I'll be quiet then and not ask any qs. I've already emailed the cruise company with qs so I'll wait their reply thanks for Ur help

If you are referring to my post, I don't mean to suggest you shouldn't seek opinions or suggestions on CC. Just that the best and most correct information regarding your particular situation will have to come from the insurance carrier and the cruise line.

Best of luck to you.

Uch I knw I do need to speak to insurance company but thought I'd suss out if things were an option so I know what I'm dealing with before I call or to see if anyone else had similar experiences. I'm just going into panic mode as I was counting the days to this holiday I'm absolutely gutted as to the timing of this I've had a **** year dad dying mum passed 4 years prior I have ms and not been on holiday for 6 years so feeing sorry for myself that this is happened and going into panic mode trying to get some answers and options but ur right I do need toile some calls to see what my options are. It's a strictly come dancing cruise as well. Dam it I so would have been picking up the glitter ball if this hadn't happened lol [emoji23][emoji23]

If you broke your ankle last week, you might already be late in calling your travel insurance company. Some policies require that they be notified "when a condition first manifests itself".

Here's the problem: You want to go, broken ankle or not. But you don't know if you will be able to go especially if you will need surgery. So now you hesitate and wait all the while hoping that your doctor will green light you to sail. But what if you can't? Then you call the insurer and they will certainly ask you, "When did this happen?" If you are cancelling for medical reasons they will want medical documentation. When some claim reviewer sees that you had a broken ankle for over a month before you notified them then they could deny your claim.

You really need to read the fine print in the policy you bought. Since you are aware that you might need surgery, there's a good chance you will end up having to cancel.

So when it happened the hospital said it was just a sprain they mis diagnosed so it's actually been 3 working days that it happened so fingers crossed that will be ok thanks for the heads up I'll call them this morning. Man what a nightmare